Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

The kanji for イワシ is 鰯 which is comprised of 弱 and 魚.

2 Likes

Oh, good grief. That’s gotta be a contender for the world’s worst pun.

Ok, poked through the dictionary some more, and came up with ボウネンカイ as an answer for 40-down. Stick in リンパセン for 23-across. 31-across is then リヨウ, also from the dictionary.

36-down is then ヨミセ, which makes 31-across ミネ.

And done. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Puzzle number five!

I wanna say 4-across is リス, but I can’t say with any certainty whether or not there’s another answer that fits better. And 16-down could be クレ.

For 1 down, スイカワリ seems to be the most fitting word
スイソ could be a solution for 1 across. I can’t find anything else that fits
カジトリ seems to make sense for 2 across
3 across could be ワヨウ
8 down is ジョスウシ
12 down is ソットウ (ソツトウ)
16 down is probably イリ
ツイトウ for 13 across, maybe?

Ooo. Nice going. I’ve been absolutely stumped for most of this one.

I’m not sure about スイソ for 1-across, though. Turns out almost every element that not the English name in katakana fits the pattern **ソ, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why any of them are lewd. And most of the ones that don’t fit that pattern still have three mora. Can you explain your reasoning? And I’m not sure I get your 13-across either.

20-across is ハゴイタ, though.

Yeah, I wasn’t too sure about スイソ, but after checking the periodic table in Japanese, it was the only element I could find that fit with スxソ. I’m not sure about what makes it lewd, though.

13 across is only a guess at this point. 追悼 means “mourning”, so I thought it fit pretty well. Plus, it makes 20 down ハト, often seen around train stations and parks.

Also, I’m guessing that 36 down is ユーカリ.

Whoops. I somehow read it as ツイドウ which means “tunnel”. Never mind me.

Aww, now I’m annoyed at myself. I figured the answer was eucalyptus, but I was expecting that’d be ユーカリプツ… or something, which is too long. Never thought to actually try looking it up.

You ever stare at a crossword forever with not the slightest idea, and then suddenly one clue just jumps out and hits you in the nose?

21-across is obviously ユカタ

That means 24-down has to be ゴウリカ, because it’s the only word in the dictionary that fits. Then I guess 25-across is リスナー. And you can practically see my confidence fading away…

1 Like

I got some more

9 across - ウチアゲハナビ
17 across - コキ
21 down - ユキゲシキ
26 down - ハケ
34 down - キビダンゴ
28 down - スタミナ (?)
35 across - ダシ

Whoa. There’s some kind of etymological story here behind 還暦, 古希 and 傘寿 that I’m suddenly interested in learning.

Yeah, I was leaning towards スタミナ as well, but I wasn’t certain. However, that makes 29-across ミキリ, which works perfectly. 見切り発車.

That’s pretty impressive. You managed to get a fair segment of the grid done.

I guess タカナ works for 32-down - I don’t really know anything about what they eat in Fukuoka, but it makes 33-across カユ, which makes sense.

After taking a break for a few days, I finally tried making some progress! I think most of the ones I filled in are correct, but I’m really in doubt about テンゴク.

For 5 across I’m considering both カシツ and タシツ, but for all I know they could both be wrong.

Oh, nice.

Finally had a chance to look over your answers, and see what new ideas they would spark.

37-down: シュクダイ. Having flashbacks of Endless Eight, here. I think I figured that when I first saw the clue, but the word just wasn’t coming to me.
30-across: インユ
30-down: インドア
31-across: No idea, but maybe アクイ
5-down: カラクチ

And done. Quick glance at the answers page for verification, and it looks like everything is correct. :smiley:

1 Like

Whoops. Been a while since I posted a crossword. Kinda meant to post this before the weekend started, too. Here’s the next, in any case. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve really gotta figure out the knack of holding the book flat enough one-handed so that I can take clear photos…

First answers:
30-across タワー
34-across トウ (and it’s kind of ironic that a Japanese tower has a Western name while a Western tower has a Japanese name)
36-across シー
35-down ワガシ

12-down スイス
32-down スカート

1 Like

Ooo, another person. I’m not alone! Welcome! :smiley:

I actually managed to work out a bunch through the middle of the puzzle, but I’ve left my book at home, so I can’t recall exactly what they were. 21-down is ハレースイセイ, and 18-across is アーク, but I’m fairly sure I had more than that…

Edit: Here we are:

13-across is スフレ (tentatively)
21-across is ハンシ
31-down is イズ

Wonder if I need to learn the lost art of typing the answers on the photo of the grid so I can post it here…

1 Like

1-across すし
11-across さんそ
15-across みなと (?)
24-across あんず
33-across から
11-down サー
16-down はな

1 Like

26-down カー(?) I’m not sure how the logic goes but cable car fits

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t figure out what both Hakodate and Nagasaki are famous for either. They are both major ports, but since みなと doesn’t fit, I wasn’t so sure. They also both suffered city-destroying fires - Hakodate in 1903 and Nagasaki in 1663 - but while かさい does fit, I’m not entirely certain that’s what the cities are famous for.

Nice. You know your botany. :slightly_smiling_face:

So does “baby car” and “sports car”, is the logic. I’m… not sure how I failed to spot that. Maybe I did, except I tried to write it on the wrong space in the grid, so it didn’t fit.

Having スシ in 1-across has given me a brainwave for 1-down: it’s スイリョクハツデン. And 5-across is ハッポウスチロール. Then I guess 17-down is ファウル.

And with such long words on the grid, I’m pretty much gonna have to fill it in so everyone can see.

2 Likes

9 Down シッケ
3accross リケイ

1 Like