Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

Ah, nice - this is one of those ones where I could work out the answer in English fairly easily, but had no idea of the answer in Japanese…

And welcome to the topic. :smiley:

Ohhh, now I understand the clue. “O is to N as ___ is to 窒素”

It’s an approximately-equal-to sign - according to Wikipedia, that’s the version most commonly used in Japan, Taiwan and Korea. Whether it’s actually performing that function here is another matter, though.

Why? I don’t get it…

Yeah, I like that one. One thing I’ve learnt from this book is that if there’s a fish involved in the clue, the answer is probably a pun of some description.

Generally if you’re confident in an answer that contradicts someone else’s uncertain guess, it’s worth sticking to your guns. That said, why シンガリ in particuar? Seems to me there’s several words that’ll fit there. We might need to get more cross clues.

Previous puzzles have shown us that if the word has ー, you use ー. Which is nice, because it gives you a massive hint for the cross word - it’s almost certainly a word that’s normally in katakana as well. Previous puzzles have also shown us that the ー need not represent the same vowel in both words.

38-down ラード (now that I understand what the clue means)
30-down クルミ
36-down エサ
36-across エキ
39-down クッキー?
35-across カド
21-across チャルメラ (had to research that one)

1 Like

My guess is it’s referencing 蜘蛛の糸 by 芥川龍之介, a story about お釈迦様 who hangs a thread down into hell (糸をたらす), but I am not sure what the first “___して” is supposed to mean. Maybe 意図して as a pun?

Mainly because it is kun’yomi of one kanji, and it’s a word that is in my Anki deck for some reason, but it could be any of the others as well I suppose…

1 Like

20-down カソチ

…ばれた…

So, apparently, prior to fertilisation, the interior of an ostrich egg is one single cell, making it the largest in the world. So the answer to 1-across is サイボウ

15-down, I get the answer, but I don’t quite see the logic of the clue: tumeric in Japanese is ウコン, and 右近の橘 is the tachibana tree that stands to the west of the southern stairs of the Hall for State Ceremonies in Heian Palace, and it’s like… why? Why do I care about that tree, and why was that extra step necessary for the clue? Anyway, 15-down is ウコン

16-across コカツ
30-across クマ
33-down エダマメ
34-across ダシ (I’ve pulled one of those in the Kawagoe Matsuri :smiley: )
37-down イシ, I guess.
24-across コウエウ
Makes 24-down コツ
14-across コト (春の海 is a song that’s played on shakuhachi and koto)
14-down コドモ
5-across オオドウグ
17-down コウトウ
22-down グウワ
23-across ウツツ

Am I missing something? How is this possible? 24 across ends at 37-down.
3-across タコク (don’t get why the clue after relates)
13-down サクイ

Ah, that was a typo. I meant ゴウエイ

Ah, no, I’ve got it: 異国情緒 is a word, so it’s イコク

Think 2-across is ムネ, because 胸が痛む and 胸が騒ぐ and 胸が膨らませる are all expressions (though that third one’s not in Jisho)
I guess 1-down is サムライ? Only word that really fits. I guess “The Seven Samurai” and “The Last Samurai” are both movie titles?

18-across ウンモ, because クラゲ can be written 水母, and ウンモ is 雲母.

7-across キャスト (a pun. katakana is used both for casting a fishing line and the actors in a play, movie, etc.)

11-down オモチャ? (Omocha no cha-cha-cha is a classic kids song in Japanese. fits with キャスト)
12-across becomes モモ (seems vaguely familiar, that sentence that’s just one long string of も?)

1 Like

Oh yes, すもももももももものうち. I had a feeling it was going to be もも, but couldn’t prove it.

I kinda wanna say 6-across is カチ, which makes 6-down カキ, but both feel… uninspired.

26-across キミ
25-down ヤキモチ (now confirmed)

We’re close to the end now

1 Like

31-down ガシツ
32-across シカク (it’s a word-association game - 触覚>視覚、三角>四角、暗殺>刺客, all of those are read as しかく), so I guess クッキー was correct for 39 down.
35-down カイカ (ditto - 桜の>開花、文明>開化、段階の下>階下)
Which makes 27-across チガイ… I don’t get it.

Thanks for making that answer grid, @Heiopei. Any chance you could include the super secret magic word down the side? :slightly_smiling_face:

There we are

And the secret word is… 作物 - crops, agricultural produce

2 Likes

What do you use to fill in the spaces?

My image editing software? I use paint dot net (not to be confused with normal old paint).

I usually use GIMP, myself.

But, moving on…

To kick us off:
5-across カッコ?

1-across シソ
3-across チゲ
2-across ユウワク
4-across ヨソミ
6-across - カチ
10-across ピンハネ
12-across ビギナー
14-across ジョノクチ
17-across ヨイ
19-across ドリブル
22-across ダイ (?)
1-down シュクチョク
8-down ソウ
9-down ゲソ
10-down ピッチ
11-down ワビ
13-down ミジンコ
16-down モクギョ
18-down ヨハ
20-down ナイモノネダリ
26-down イブクロ (?)
31-down ルビ

so y’all are leaving this all to me then huh?

More that I don’t get notifications when you edit a post to add more answers. Gonna need a bit of time to look those over…

i mean, if you have the ability to keep a quick tempo, then perhaps yes?

my life often gets in the way of this thread. boo. i’d rather being doing crosswords, but alas.

i pledge to… contribute when i can. which might be next week. XD