Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

犬も歩けば棒に当たる is a proverb.

自転車s also known as 銀輪 silver ring; bicycle.
飛行機s also known as 銀何? 銀翼 silvery wings​
I’m not too confident, but that’s the only thing regarding silver and airplanes I found.

34-across サオ
37-down could be ??オトコ, but I couldn’t say which of several options it would be.

Very tentatively,
36-down ハッキ
33-across ウツリ
That makes 33-down ウス, which confused me for a long while until I found this. I feel like a lot of these clues would be much easier if we were more familiar with Japanese idioms and folk tales…

1 Like

Yeah. :sweat_smile:

Is this where you hang the clothes?

Oh, yeah. I also thought it was that one, don’t know why I didn’t post it. 発揮

Ever since I saw it was probably going to be ドウグ on the secret word, I can’t get ヒミツドウグ out of my head. :no_mouth: I don’t think I ever watched ドラえもん.

30➝ 石炭 was called 黒い something a long time ago.

Yeah. I’ve been thinking for a while that the nickname in English was “black gold”, but it just now ocurred to me that black gold is crude oil.

Coal is black diamond. And ダイヤ fits. Guess that’d make 37-down ヤサオトコ

Or ヤマオトコ?

What’s the translation for that one?

Also, 30↓ ダダ 駄々

優男
山男

I confess I’m not completely sure I’ve understood the clue. I’m just kinda cherry-picking specific words…

I meant the translation for the clue. :joy:
I have something like, “The people that sang to (my) daughter something something not fall in love.”

Still dunno what the clue means, but typing it into Google coughed up this:

So, ヤマオトコ it is.

1 Like

What the heck, I like it.

1➝ 石川啄木がふるさとのなまりを聞きに行ったところ
Either, the place where 石川啄木 went to hear his home town’s dialect.
Or, 石川啄木 just went to hear his home town’s dialect.

10↓ 3 for 200円, and 7 for 500円.

13↓ ブナ科の高木 Beech’s tall tree.
キノコ栽培の原木にもなります It can also become the original of a tree cultivar​ of mushroom cultivation.

The other clues I don’t understand completely.

In any case, that’s three-quarters done.

IMG_4356

1 Like

You didn’t put my 翼 :eyes: even as tentative

Uh, yes I did. It’s right there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I may be blind, but not that blind. :eyes:

Come to think of it, it probably is ヨク, considering 銀翼 is in the dictionary.

13-down is either シイ or クリ, I’d say, but I need more of a clue to narrow that down.

Okies, I had a peek at the answers, mostly because I’m going away for three weeks on Monday so I’d like to get this puzzle done before I go: ヨク and ヨウギシャ are both correct.

I’m quite stuck on the remaining clues, though. Like what even is 状熊 in 9-down?

For 10-down, the first option is better value for money, but I’m not really sure what the clue is asking for.

I got something like, “If you were a dog, the situation in which your teeth would be suited to groan.” :joy:

Ugh. Turned to Google for a hint for 1-across, and I should have done it ages ago:

This is a tanka by the poet in question:
ふるさとの訛なつかし
停車場の人ごみの中に
そを聴きにゆく

The answer is テイシャバ

Which makes 13-down シイ

1 Like

2➝ リカイ 理解
9↓ イカク 威嚇 makes sense

Aye. I just realised that the kana in the clue, むいてうなって = 剥いて唸って = bear (its) teeth and growl

Aha.
1-down テリョウリ