Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

Puzzle number 11:

I’d like to say 35-down is ドル, though at the moment 109.91 JPY is only 0.98 USD. Think 21-across is ラクダ and 26-down クキ, but I’m less confident.

Reckon 30 across is some word meaning “gold”, but none of them seem to work.

1 Like

If you can, go for it.

36-across ハム
31-down シェイカー (or シェーカー, but Wikipedia primarily uses the former, so I’ll pencil that one in)
24-across バター
29-down タコ

27-down is some kind of surgeon, I’m sure, but I can’t find a word that fits…

1-across references Takuboku Ishikawa, who was born in Hinoto-mura in Iwate Prefecture, though I confess I’m not completely sure what the clue is asking.

Could 25 across be ウイスキー?

It fits with 23 down being 背番号 セバンゴウ. (I had to look up the term for this)

edit: I agree with you on ラクダ (and バター…) I gotta check if something’s solved before trying w

1 Like

Undoubtedly. I so wanted 33-down to be ワニ, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Some more that jumped out at me:

34-down サン
20-down バラライカ
17-across ヒラキ
17-down ヒメ (not overly confident of either of those)

22-across is カゲエ, and I want to then say 27-down is ゲカ, but that makes 28-across カイド, and I’m not clear as to how that works.

1 Like

8-across エカキ
12-down ユビ (?)
16-across フタゴ
16-down ブキ
18-down ハナ
19-across ブンコ
19-down ブタ
28-across カード
35-down ドル

These don’t mesh - フ and ブ aren’t equivalent. I confess, I’m a bit unsure of your suggestion for 8-across too, which is what lead to your answer for 16-down. Unless I’m misreading, the clue is “watercolours and oil paintings are here”, but your answer is “artist”.

While we’re on the subject, what does the clue for 16-across even mean? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, of course. I’d completely forgotten mentioning that 31-down could be シェーカー as well as シェイカー…

16-down フウ as in 封?
8-across ガロウ

but then I have trouble solving 5-down if it’s supposed to end in が… Don’t see how the answer could be anything but some type of gallery though.

other:

7-across モリ (very unsure about this but 木を見て森を見ず works fine… I actually don’t see what else it could be, 5-down has just given me a lot of grief… maybe it’s something less literal related to the act of missing the bigger picture since it’s not a fill in the blank clue)
14-down ヨウギシャ ? Or maybe I’m wrong. Would 犯人と決まって result in an accused or a sentenced? And maybe I’m misinterpreting this, since I don’t get the use of と. Plus then it made solving 6-across more problematic.

Oops ya I messed up on that one. I think 16-across フタゴ is right though.

28-across カード as in credit card “Will this be cash or ____?” was the clue

“Let’s let the responsibility of judging be on the person who has the license.” Is what I gathered.

It says “[someone} has watercolors and oil colors” so artist/painter seemed appropriate.

That’s 16-down. Talking about the across clue - そっくりだったりしますね

That said, maybe 16-down is フグ (i.e. the “to handle meat” definition of さばく)

Ooo, that could make 8-across エノグ

I’m not entirely sure “someone” is implied. I was pondering maybe an art gallery or a studio or something. Perhaps I’m just in the wrong frame of mind.

I’m having trouble with 5-down anyway. What do schools do on the first of June and October?

Aye, that was my thought too, but I wasn’t confident enough to write it in.

That’d make 14-across ヨメイ, which is… at least plausible.

Edit: Ah, I’ve worked out what schools do in June and October: they change their uniforms. コロモガエ

So, to summarise:
5-down コロモガエ
8-across エノグ
16-down フグ

1 Like

Due to 23 down, 16 across ended in ゴ - そっくりis often used to say sometone looks exactly like someone else. Since ゴ was there I immediately thought of twins.

フグ makes a lot of sense because you have to have a license in Japan to prepare フグ

Finally! Time for puzzles, let’s see what I can do. :eyes:

this is an excellent thread!!!
I will try and get some

You have almost the exact same avatar as someone else in this thread, so I got confused. :joy:

1 Like

I was just about to come and poke you. Just because you promised not to do all of it doesn’t mean you have to do none of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

? :thinking:

I’m barely writing all your clues down, it takes time. :joy:

Sun, in katakana. Sunglass (=sunglasses), sun oil (=suncream), sunroom, sundeck, sunset.

Yeah, I was planning to post an in-progress grid. Probably some time this evening.

1 Like

So.

15➝ シラセ which makes 18↓ not ハナ but probably リラ.
6➝ ロウや 牢屋
12↓ ウリ 瓜 ≈ 爪
31➝ シンと 信徒?
38↓ タイムリー
32➝ カルタ, but I don’t know why. Now I know why.

A typical torifuda features a drawing with a kana at one corner of the card. Its corresponding yomifuda features a proverb connected to the picture with the first syllable being the kana displayed on the torifuda.

The place he went to hear his home town’s dialect. But it doesn’t work with バ at the end.

3➝ ヨク 翼?

That’s all I have for now. This was a little harder than last time.

I confess I was a little uncertain of ハナ from the beginning, mostly because we had a clue way back in on of the earliest puzzles that was just two types of flower, and the answer turned out to be ラン, because they were both orchids.

Could you re-explain your epiphany? I’m still not sure I get it.

How does this apply to the 自転車?

IMG_4356