Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

On the numerous articles that I read, it said that even though babies didn’t shed tears, that it wasn’t うそなき, it could be due to several reasons, but their crying is the only way they can communicate. I was led astray by science. :sweat_smile:

34➝ きく 菊 as in chrysanthemum which is used as decoration in sashimi dishes.

Not the word I would use, but I guess.

Aww, I clearly can’t read. I’d literally just written the ヨ but somehow managed to read it back as オ.

Aye, that’s what I figured.

Comparatively.

28↓ かき 柿

Japan’s representative dried fruits is dried persimmon. The astringent fruit turns sweet after it’s dried.

Could I get a translation for 19➝ ? I don’t get it at all, too many kanji I don’t know. :joy:

1 Like

短距離走は秒速2メートルを越えると参考記録に

For sprints exceeding two metres per second, something something, reference record?

Suddenly thinking オイカゼ is the answer. Mostly because when I stuck “2m/s sprint” into Google, wind assistance was the number one result, and I remembered “tailwind” was one of the possible options for オ???. Plus, I was already thinking24-down would be イイツケ, and with your suggestion of カキ for 28-down…

1 Like

I can get behind that.
Well, that was indeed quick, but challenging to find some of the words.

Is that a pun? :stuck_out_tongue:

On closer inspection of the Wikipedia page, I suspect I’ve misunderstood the clue. Wikipedia page says if the tailwind exceeds 2m/s, any times achieved won’t be counted with respect to judging event records, so I guess that’s what the clue is saying. Not completely clear how, though.

1 Like

Anyway, answers at the back of the book concur. Do we need to see the completed grid? :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the jp title of that wiki page: 追い風参考記録, so yeah.

I already have my own handmade grid. :sweat_smile:
It helped with the words, but it would be nice to see it in its full glory.

I love how the words just fall into place, and that twice there hasn’t been a mistake at the end. Which would be unusual, but not impossible.

This is our ninth puzzle, and I don’t think we’ve ever had a mistake once we’ve finished. Aside from throwing in the towel on puzzle number 7.

1 Like

Because I’m a kinda lazy, here’s a (blurry) photo of the puzzle 9 answers straight out of the book.

1 Like

And puzzle 10!

Some slightly weird clues starting to crop up, here. Like 1-down. I was kinda expecting there’d be a species of cicada known for going ミーンミーン, and there is. Unfortunately, it appears to be named ミンミンゼミ, which doesn’t fit.

I am, however, gonna go head and say 19-down is ルビー and 35-down is ツボ.

1 Like

:thinking: :upside_down_face:
Nvm, I got it. 坪 :ok_hand:

8-across ウィリー

2 Likes

14➝ アルマジロ
22↓ ハマチ 魬
20➝ ビチク 備蓄
26↓ ジクウ 時空
16➝ ワイン? works with 15↓
15↓ チワワ
23↓ アンダ 安打? 安打 / 打数 = 打率
12➝ カワクダリ 川下り?
28↓ リフト
1➝ セイウチ 海象
9↓ イキ 息?
1↓ セミシグレ 蝉時雨?
2➝ ミキ ¿? It was completed by chance, so I don’t know the specific word for this one.
3➝ グアバ
12↓ カバー
4➝ レコード
10↓ アコヤガイ 阿古屋貝
5➝ ダガシヤ 駄菓子屋
5↓ ダセキスウ 打席数
6➝ セイビ 整備
13↓ シビア
35➝ ツエ 杖
24➝ ストロボ
24↓ スモモ 李
33➝ ゾウ 象
32↓ ナゾ 謎
30↓ ザクロ 柘榴
25➝ モザイク
23 ➝ アマナツ 甘夏?

I, uh… I think that’s it from me.
Hope there are no mistakes. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Whoa. That’s a lot of answers. Did you just solve the whole crossword? :stuck_out_tongue: A most impressive effort.

Actually, a few of them did jump out at me before I went to bed last night, but I thought I’d leave it until the morning to write them down. Let’s see if you spotted all the ones I spotted.

For some reason, every time I see that word I keep thinking “Is that, like, John Manjiro’s little brother, or something?” even though there’s no ン after the マ…

That… seems exceeding straightforward. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why the uncertainty? I assume you’ve read this? Not that I’ve ever heard of it before, myself…

Aye, that’s what I figured, but I couldn’t seem to get it to fit. Maybe I was looking at the wrong space on the grid…

Probably the “backbone, base” meaning of ?

Took me far too long to figure out what Willy had to do with anything. :stuck_out_tongue: Then I realised I could actually read every kanji in the clue…

My contributions:
27-across ウメボシ
36-down ツウシンボ
21-down イクジ (i.e. 意気地, though I feel like there’s a few words that’ll fit)
37-down クリガエシ
31-across クモリ
34-down トロロイモ
Thus 29-across フトン
18-across シャモ
17-down ドシャ (took me far to long to remember that ド?ャ was a possible pattern as well as ド?ヤ)
7-across スジ
Thus 11-down ジイ

And, uh… is that it?

1 Like

Because it was one of the first words, and for the spaces, ブドウ and 赤い also fit.
It being just wine felt too easy.

Important part in a plan? .-.

It wasn’t exactly my plan, but once the letters start dropping, it’s pretty hard to stop solving.

I get the word, but I didn’t know it had anything to do with salmon and cod roe.

I noticed that that word fit in the place, but I don’t see how it has anything to do with あゆみ, thought it’d be something to do with 歩.

I thought it would have something to do with string instruments, since 張り is tension, and it says that it’d give a weak sound otherwise. Also, the fact that whatever letter goes there doesn’t matter, doesn’t help in making sure it’s the correct one when you’re solving this. :joy:

クリカエシ, but yeah.

I didn’t understand the clue completely, but figured it’d be a type of 天気.

Am I missing something here? :joy: Something used when going out?

Figured that’d be the word, but what’s it got to do with 地図?

Would’ve never gotten it.

Frigg.

Oh my god, is it hemorrhoids? Otherwise I don’t get what is the feeling that makes you want to leave your position.

I read that as being 酒. As in, tarako and umeboshi are both bar snacks.

Yeah, I know, but if it fits, it sits. Maybe it’s to do with the “progress” definition.

Possibly what you’re missing is that the first kanji is not 出 but 山. :stuck_out_tongue:

No idea.

Clearly you gotta read up on your chicken breeds. :stuck_out_tongue: (Honestly, I just searched Jisho for ??も and scrolled until one sounded right.)

Uh, ew? It’s 辞意 - a feeling like you want to leave your position.

1 Like

Frigg x2. I went for the two fish.

Frigg x3. You’re right. :joy:

Hey, that’s cheating! (I didn’t know you could do that :eyes:)

Aaaaaaaaaah, my brain stopped working there, and thought it was ジィ, even though that makes no sense. :joy:

Can we get the finished product? :star_struck:

I’ll, uh… I’ll also try not to finish it by myself next time.

Holy crap, I go away for a weekend and you guys knock out a full puzzle? The other one took months lol

1 Like

IMG_4354

Forgot to mention: super secret magic word is セキゾウ.

Go ahead if you want. We’re still only on page twenty-four, out of a hundred and twenty-four. :slightly_smiling_face:

Many hands make light work. By which I probably mean that @Kazzeon is some kind of octopus.

3 Likes