Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

Ah, that was a typo. I meant ゴウエイ

Ah, no, I’ve got it: 異国情緒 is a word, so it’s イコク

Think 2-across is ムネ, because 胸が痛む and 胸が騒ぐ and 胸が膨らませる are all expressions (though that third one’s not in Jisho)
I guess 1-down is サムライ? Only word that really fits. I guess “The Seven Samurai” and “The Last Samurai” are both movie titles?

18-across ウンモ, because クラゲ can be written 水母, and ウンモ is 雲母.

7-across キャスト (a pun. katakana is used both for casting a fishing line and the actors in a play, movie, etc.)

11-down オモチャ? (Omocha no cha-cha-cha is a classic kids song in Japanese. fits with キャスト)
12-across becomes モモ (seems vaguely familiar, that sentence that’s just one long string of も?)

1 Like

Oh yes, すもももももももものうち. I had a feeling it was going to be もも, but couldn’t prove it.

I kinda wanna say 6-across is カチ, which makes 6-down カキ, but both feel… uninspired.

26-across キミ
25-down ヤキモチ (now confirmed)

We’re close to the end now

1 Like

31-down ガシツ
32-across シカク (it’s a word-association game - 触覚>視覚、三角>四角、暗殺>刺客, all of those are read as しかく), so I guess クッキー was correct for 39 down.
35-down カイカ (ditto - 桜の>開花、文明>開化、段階の下>階下)
Which makes 27-across チガイ… I don’t get it.

Thanks for making that answer grid, @Heiopei. Any chance you could include the super secret magic word down the side? :slightly_smiling_face:

There we are

And the secret word is… 作物 - crops, agricultural produce

2 Likes

What do you use to fill in the spaces?

My image editing software? I use paint dot net (not to be confused with normal old paint).

I usually use GIMP, myself.

But, moving on…

To kick us off:
5-across カッコ?

1-across シソ
3-across チゲ
2-across ユウワク
4-across ヨソミ
6-across - カチ
10-across ピンハネ
12-across ビギナー
14-across ジョノクチ
17-across ヨイ
19-across ドリブル
22-across ダイ (?)
1-down シュクチョク
8-down ソウ
9-down ゲソ
10-down ピッチ
11-down ワビ
13-down ミジンコ
16-down モクギョ
18-down ヨハ
20-down ナイモノネダリ
26-down イブクロ (?)
31-down ルビ

so y’all are leaving this all to me then huh?

More that I don’t get notifications when you edit a post to add more answers. Gonna need a bit of time to look those over…

i mean, if you have the ability to keep a quick tempo, then perhaps yes?

my life often gets in the way of this thread. boo. i’d rather being doing crosswords, but alas.

i pledge to… contribute when i can. which might be next week. XD

Well excuse you.

お留守になる means “fail to be attentive to” (for example, studies), so it’s ルス

27-across クスダマ

This one stumped me for a while. I knew exactly what it meant - it’s those balls that pop open at ceremonies with ribbons and confetti and a banner saying おめでとう - but I had no idea what it’s called, and typing “those balls that pop open at ceremonies with ribbons and confetti and a banner saying おめでとう” into Google surpringly failed to generate any useful results.

Interestingly, the English Wikipedia article for Kusudama says it’s an origami model - the Japanese article for くす玉 talks all about the celebratory ball, and only mentions “oh, it’s also an origami model” as an afterthought and a “see also”.

35-down ダメ
36-across メイ
23-down ホラー
24-across ラシ
16-across モノホシ something, something. There seem to be several words that’ll fit here.
Makes 28-down シシ, which I don’t really get. The clue is clear, but nothing in the dictionary seems to match.

I think you are reading the wrong clue.

31-down: パズルに夢中で勉強が、の場合は上に「お」がつく - I read this as “When you’re too absorbed in the puzzle to study, this will have 「お」 attached”. Which is to say 留守, which becomes 留守 when you’re neglecting your studies.

What interpretation results in ルビ being the answer?

Oh I see. When you put お留守 I thought you were quoting the clue, so I wondered if you were reading a different clue. I suppose I read that wrong, I read 上に as “attached above” (I forgot that it also has the “before” definition) so I figured ルビ fit.

37-down オイコミ
Which makes 16-across モノホシザオ

21-across モクゲキ
29-across コヨミ
30-across ヤスリ
32-across シコ
34-across ギキ
25-down クク (I can see how that makes sense)
29-down コゲチャ
32-down ショキ
33-down スギ
38-down キリキリマイ

I’m seriously tapped out on the rest. I can’t see anything that makes sense for 5-down (if 5 and 6 across are correct) nor 7-across (if 26-down is correct).

1 Like