Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

I can get behind that.
Well, that was indeed quick, but challenging to find some of the words.

Is that a pun? :stuck_out_tongue:

On closer inspection of the Wikipedia page, I suspect I’ve misunderstood the clue. Wikipedia page says if the tailwind exceeds 2m/s, any times achieved won’t be counted with respect to judging event records, so I guess that’s what the clue is saying. Not completely clear how, though.

1 Like

Anyway, answers at the back of the book concur. Do we need to see the completed grid? :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the jp title of that wiki page: 追い風参考記録, so yeah.

I already have my own handmade grid. :sweat_smile:
It helped with the words, but it would be nice to see it in its full glory.

I love how the words just fall into place, and that twice there hasn’t been a mistake at the end. Which would be unusual, but not impossible.

This is our ninth puzzle, and I don’t think we’ve ever had a mistake once we’ve finished. Aside from throwing in the towel on puzzle number 7.

1 Like

Because I’m a kinda lazy, here’s a (blurry) photo of the puzzle 9 answers straight out of the book.

1 Like

And puzzle 10!

Some slightly weird clues starting to crop up, here. Like 1-down. I was kinda expecting there’d be a species of cicada known for going ミーンミーン, and there is. Unfortunately, it appears to be named ミンミンゼミ, which doesn’t fit.

I am, however, gonna go head and say 19-down is ルビー and 35-down is ツボ.

1 Like

:thinking: :upside_down_face:
Nvm, I got it. 坪 :ok_hand:

8-across ウィリー

2 Likes

14➝ アルマジロ
22↓ ハマチ 魬
20➝ ビチク 備蓄
26↓ ジクウ 時空
16➝ ワイン? works with 15↓
15↓ チワワ
23↓ アンダ 安打? 安打 / 打数 = 打率
12➝ カワクダリ 川下り?
28↓ リフト
1➝ セイウチ 海象
9↓ イキ 息?
1↓ セミシグレ 蝉時雨?
2➝ ミキ ¿? It was completed by chance, so I don’t know the specific word for this one.
3➝ グアバ
12↓ カバー
4➝ レコード
10↓ アコヤガイ 阿古屋貝
5➝ ダガシヤ 駄菓子屋
5↓ ダセキスウ 打席数
6➝ セイビ 整備
13↓ シビア
35➝ ツエ 杖
24➝ ストロボ
24↓ スモモ 李
33➝ ゾウ 象
32↓ ナゾ 謎
30↓ ザクロ 柘榴
25➝ モザイク
23 ➝ アマナツ 甘夏?

I, uh… I think that’s it from me.
Hope there are no mistakes. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Whoa. That’s a lot of answers. Did you just solve the whole crossword? :stuck_out_tongue: A most impressive effort.

Actually, a few of them did jump out at me before I went to bed last night, but I thought I’d leave it until the morning to write them down. Let’s see if you spotted all the ones I spotted.

For some reason, every time I see that word I keep thinking “Is that, like, John Manjiro’s little brother, or something?” even though there’s no ン after the マ…

That… seems exceeding straightforward. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why the uncertainty? I assume you’ve read this? Not that I’ve ever heard of it before, myself…

Aye, that’s what I figured, but I couldn’t seem to get it to fit. Maybe I was looking at the wrong space on the grid…

Probably the “backbone, base” meaning of ?

Took me far too long to figure out what Willy had to do with anything. :stuck_out_tongue: Then I realised I could actually read every kanji in the clue…

My contributions:
27-across ウメボシ
36-down ツウシンボ
21-down イクジ (i.e. 意気地, though I feel like there’s a few words that’ll fit)
37-down クリガエシ
31-across クモリ
34-down トロロイモ
Thus 29-across フトン
18-across シャモ
17-down ドシャ (took me far to long to remember that ド?ャ was a possible pattern as well as ド?ヤ)
7-across スジ
Thus 11-down ジイ

And, uh… is that it?

1 Like

Because it was one of the first words, and for the spaces, ブドウ and 赤い also fit.
It being just wine felt too easy.

Important part in a plan? .-.

It wasn’t exactly my plan, but once the letters start dropping, it’s pretty hard to stop solving.

I get the word, but I didn’t know it had anything to do with salmon and cod roe.

I noticed that that word fit in the place, but I don’t see how it has anything to do with あゆみ, thought it’d be something to do with 歩.

I thought it would have something to do with string instruments, since 張り is tension, and it says that it’d give a weak sound otherwise. Also, the fact that whatever letter goes there doesn’t matter, doesn’t help in making sure it’s the correct one when you’re solving this. :joy:

クリカエシ, but yeah.

I didn’t understand the clue completely, but figured it’d be a type of 天気.

Am I missing something here? :joy: Something used when going out?

Figured that’d be the word, but what’s it got to do with 地図?

Would’ve never gotten it.

Frigg.

Oh my god, is it hemorrhoids? Otherwise I don’t get what is the feeling that makes you want to leave your position.

I read that as being 酒. As in, tarako and umeboshi are both bar snacks.

Yeah, I know, but if it fits, it sits. Maybe it’s to do with the “progress” definition.

Possibly what you’re missing is that the first kanji is not 出 but 山. :stuck_out_tongue:

No idea.

Clearly you gotta read up on your chicken breeds. :stuck_out_tongue: (Honestly, I just searched Jisho for ??も and scrolled until one sounded right.)

Uh, ew? It’s 辞意 - a feeling like you want to leave your position.

1 Like

Frigg x2. I went for the two fish.

Frigg x3. You’re right. :joy:

Hey, that’s cheating! (I didn’t know you could do that :eyes:)

Aaaaaaaaaah, my brain stopped working there, and thought it was ジィ, even though that makes no sense. :joy:

Can we get the finished product? :star_struck:

I’ll, uh… I’ll also try not to finish it by myself next time.

Holy crap, I go away for a weekend and you guys knock out a full puzzle? The other one took months lol

1 Like

Forgot to mention: super secret magic word is セキゾウ.

Go ahead if you want. We’re still only on page twenty-four, out of a hundred and twenty-four. :slightly_smiling_face:

Many hands make light work. By which I probably mean that @Kazzeon is some kind of octopus.

3 Likes

Puzzle number 11:

I’d like to say 35-down is ドル, though at the moment 109.91 JPY is only 0.98 USD. Think 21-across is ラクダ and 26-down クキ, but I’m less confident.

Reckon 30 across is some word meaning “gold”, but none of them seem to work.

1 Like

If you can, go for it.

36-across ハム
31-down シェイカー (or シェーカー, but Wikipedia primarily uses the former, so I’ll pencil that one in)
24-across バター
29-down タコ

27-down is some kind of surgeon, I’m sure, but I can’t find a word that fits…

1-across references Takuboku Ishikawa, who was born in Hinoto-mura in Iwate Prefecture, though I confess I’m not completely sure what the clue is asking.

Could 25 across be ウイスキー?

It fits with 23 down being 背番号 セバンゴウ. (I had to look up the term for this)

edit: I agree with you on ラクダ (and バター…) I gotta check if something’s solved before trying w

1 Like