So many new lessons

Not really.
The reviews depend on the lessons you do, and mostly your apprentice and guru items that are the ones that are reviewed most frequently.
For example:
I do 10 lessons at 6 pm, I’ll hace 10 reviews at 10 pm, 10 reviews at 6 am tomorrow, 10 reviews at 6 am the next day, 10 reviews at 6am the day after that (if I do all those reviews as they come up). Then after that the next review for those items if in a week.
If the next day I do again 10 lessons at 6 pm, I’ll have 10 reviews at 10 pm, then the next day at 6 am I’ll have the 10 reviews from the past day+the 10 from this second day.

And so on, but when you guru an item you only review it in a week, then in two weeks, then for months, so they don’t go over and over everyday (unless you are getting them wrong in a loop).

I can assure you, because I have 50 new lessons , I do 10 a day and I’m getting like 50 reviews a day, not more. Of course I never get 0 lessons, but I have no problem with it.
You still are not understanding how wk works.
If I were you, I’ll only do reviews until you master all the items (they won’t come back for a long while) so you’ll start the reviews from 0.
Anyway I see since you made this post you’re like 3 levels higher? I can’t remember exactly, but we started around the same time and you are 10 levels higher than I am, so I think you’re just overloading yourself.

1 Like

for example like today around 2pm i literally had around 127 reviews. along with like 75 - 90 new lessons. the next +review was at 3pm the original number was like very low. probably like 5 or somethiing. so while i was on break, i was doing the new lessons. the x amount of new lessons i did, increased up to like 30 stack up reviews at 3pm. so had i kept going with the remaining lessons, i’ll probably get like 50s or 60s. so i stopped that and tried it. by the time it hit 4pm, i did the +5 reviews. so then after that. at 5pm i get +10 reviews. so during the break before 5pm (1hr to do lessons) i still see that review from 5pm to become a greater number.

it should be stacking up in the later times. like at 7pm or something like that. not every hour of when i’m doing lessons though.

as of this time, i finished all of my 75 - 90 lessons and my last one is at 8pm with +43 lessons.

I’ve never had that happen, if It is really so, maybe there’s something not working well.
Of course if you have originally say 10 reviews at 4 pm, then at 12 am you do 30 lessons, of course at 4 pm you’ll have those 30 reviews in addition to the 10 you had.
That’s why we told you to do very little lessons a day. Most of the reviews come when an item is at apprentice, which is the following 48 hours from the lesson (if you get all the 4 reviews correct).
Please, try to read carefully all that we’ve written. If you stick to a regular schedule of lessons, like 10 a day or 20 a day in set times, your review schedule will be predictable as well.

My schedule is usually reviews at 7-8 am, 10 lessons at 6 pm, reviews at 10 pm. I usually have around 30 lessons at 7-8 pm and 10 lessons at 10 pm. I’ve got some in the middle for items I miss or some added if I’m enlightening items, but that’s about it. The more consistant you are in you’re schedule the more consistant the SRS system will be.

That’s not how Wanikani works. Are you using any scripts?

Hey @kun123 ! It looks like quite a few people have already given good advice about taking a break from lessons and have explained how the SRS works. It seems like you’re still a bit confused about it though, which happens to many of us at first!
Please send us an email at hello@wanikani.com with your direct questions or you can live chat with us (generally 9 - 5pm PST, Mon-Fri) directly from the website.

In case you missed the links that people have shared above, I recommend taking a look at these articles again to see if there’s any misunderstandings:

10 Likes

Ok. I am expecting around 1am that’s when my numbers will all get stacked to +79? According to the new lessons. I feel like, as I done before, if I do 79 all lessons first or even 10/79 my reviews will stack at the next time at 9am or 10am.

So if I do the highest review from picture and then do the lessons WHERE will it stack once I do all of them??

If you do 10 lessons at that time you had 8:07, you’ll get the 10 reviews at 12:00.

I don’t really understand what you mean with that: “I am expecting around 1am that’s when my numbers will all get stacked to +79?”

If you do the 79 lessons at 8:07, you’ll get all 79 at 12:00 (as I guess it’ll probably take longer than a hour to go through 79 items, you’d probably get the ones you finish before 9:00 at 12:00 and the ones you finish later than that at 1:00)

1 Like

I expect you read this (from the previous post)

and it says "Once you finish the Lesson for an item it becomes Apprentice 1. There is a 4 hour wait until that item appears in your Reviews. "
So whatever time you finish your lesson, it will reappear as a review in 4 hours.

2 Likes

So if I do the highest review from picture and then do the lessons WHERE will it stack once I do all of them??

I’m also not sure what you mean, but if you are saying that you want to do the lessons after the 9 and 10 am reviews, I guess at 10-11, the reviews would come 4 hours later, at 2-3 pm, depending when you finish each lesson.

Take into account that after you do those reviews that would come at 2-3, 8 hours later you’d get the next review, so at 10-11 pm if you do them as soon as they’re available.

It don’t matter if I read or not. Ok so like u said if I do a review there’s gonna be a 4 hour wait. I’m quoting you.

There are times when I do a certain time review. Currently I have 79 new lessons right now.

I have, the other times, where I got 110 new lessons I did all of them , ALL OF THEM, and 1-2 hours later I get +70 reviews and the remaining reviews by the end of the day.

Like you said if I do 10 lessons now like literally right now I get +10 onto the next review. That should not happen because there should be a 4 hours wait. So at 9am if I do 10 right now it’s gonna stack those 10 at 10am, but that’s a hour wait not 4.

Yeah I’m planning to do all exactly 79 lessons after 10am reviews. So at what time frame will those 79 lessons get stacked? If I start at 10 or 10:30am, just like the other guy say, 4 hours wait, so 2-3pm?

I should not be expecting no new lessons during that time any else cause my thing says 27/30

No, it is not going to go with the next review (there is not such a thing). The first reviews come 4 hours after finishing the lesson.

You have to take into acount that when you do so many lessons you are finishing them ar different times, for example the first 5-lessons batch you would do it maybe at eight, but the tenth 5 lessons batch (that would be lessons 50-55) would probably not be finish until an hour or two later (depending how long it takes you to do each lesson) so those revies would come maybe 2 hours later, so when you finish your 110 lessons, maybe 3 hours have gone by since you finished the first lessons, so those reviews from the first lessons would be coming in only an hour because you finished them quite a long time ago.
I’ll post yoy an example, considering each lesson you do takes 1 minute.

You should stick to a number of lessons a day and see how it goes, do only 20 lessons or 10 a day and you’'ll see how the system works. You’re doing so many lessons together that you can’t see how the SRS works.

The new lessons will come when you guru new kanji or radicals, if in those 9-10 am reviews you guru some of them you’ll get new lessons.

I just finished the 9am review so my last stack lesson is at 10am. I tried to do 10 a day but when I’m near the next level I get more new lessons so I stopped doing that .

For example I stopped at remaining 30 lessons by doing 10 a day this was once and when I’m near leveling I get new lessons like 50 more or so. If I’m doing a lesson based on that level when I’m near leveling those lessons should be finish first

10 (day 1)
10 ( day 2)
10 (day 3) total 30. Once day three ends then review and finished new lessons occur

That’s what I’m saying it’s better to do all of the 79 lessons but I can’t get that done in 45 mins. Plus like u said if I get many guru in 10am reviews my numbers will stack from the 79. So let say I get 20-30 guru finish from the 10am review those get added to the 79 so many 110-120 new lessons.

I just completed 9am reviews so luckily this time no reviews added to my current lessons

Yes, you’ll get more lessons, but that’s ok, lessons will wait for you. Anyway you can do 20 lessons a day if that’s more comfortable for you, or 25 or 30, if you want to go faster, but be aware you are going to get the reviews in bigger batches. Just do what you can handle, you don’t have to go at full speed if you don’t want to, and if you want, know that you’re going to get loads of reviews. That’s it.

Did you realize when doing those 10 lessons a day that efectively there were coming from review 4 hours after you finished?

changing tack from the thread slightly, @kun123 why do you want to learn japanese? why use wanikani? what’s motivating you? you’re clearly very keen on reaching level 60 by a set date, but you also seem to very overwhelmed by the pace you’re keeping to actually reach that goal in time. so, why? why have that goal?

1 Like

well idk. right now i will be waiting in like 30 mins for the 10am review. so i better not get any new lessons. even if i do, it better not be over 100 cause thats too much. when i do the lessons i sometimes split screen my pc and cheat a bit so i can get it over with them i review them and remember them for the next review.

so i’ll see what happens next around 10am. once i finish the 60 reviews.

since i have around 60 reviews at 10am, im also looking the link. those new lessons will be the apprentice 1 (4 hours wait) so if i get thsoe 60 reviews done by 1030 and finish the lessons at 11am, then i should get some at 3pm.

not 1pm cause 10am to 1pm is a 3 hours wait. so i should only stick with 6 reviews only.

Even if you are going to do a lot of reviews a day, I’ll split them in different batches, for example, 10 now, 10 after the reviews at afternoon and 10 at night.

The reviews that come 4 hours later are only the first ones. The second ones are 8 hours after the first review, and the third one 24 hours later the second review,…
So the reviews at 10 will come back depending which level the items are. If they’re guru, they won’t come back until 2 weeks or a month later.

Not really, the best thing to do is figure out a daily number of lessons that won’t cause an ever increasing avalanche of reviews (which is what you’re doing currently).

If you did lessons, and 1-2 hours later you got more reviews, these reviews aren’t for the items you just saw in your most recent lesson session, because those lessons invariably take 4 hours to show up in reviews. If you got new lessons 1-2 hours later, those lessons were about items saw in previous lesson sessions, not the latest one. And that’s exactly why you need to read how the SRS stages work. I would think this is all obvious, and I’m sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but you seem a bit stubborn, so here we go.

Key fact 1: You only have to do a lesson once, but when it comes to reviews it’s not so simple.

Key fact 2: It takes eight reviews to take an item all the way to burned, and that’s assuming you don’t get any of them wrong.

Key fact 3: reviews keep coming until you actually take the item to burned.

Key fact 4: the time gap between reviews gets bigger and bigger the closer you are to burning the item.

Putting all of them together, I hope you see why the review schedule is at times so chaotic: reviews from all stages get dumped together in your (and everyone else’s) queue. The reviews from enlightened to burned come from lessons you saw months ago. The amount of lessons you saw recently has no bearing on the amount of reviews you get; review numbers will always have a bit of unpredictability/lack of direct control.

If you are getting more reviews than you can handle, the only thing you can do is tackle less lessons at a time.