So I looked up what 草 used as slang means. grass = lol

I kept seeing it in YouTube comments and in other places, so I finally decided to look it up in Japanese instead of trying English, and it ends up that “grass” = “lol”?

Basically, in online chat & comments, the Japanese “lol” is often written as (わら), sometimes without parenthesis, sometimes even in just kana at the end of the sentence. This gets shortened even further to “w”. If any of you have ever seen any nicovideo stuff, you’ve seen this fly across the screen:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

All the w’s look like grass on a lawn, thus 草 meaning something similar to 爆笑, or LMAO.

Once I saw the explanation, it made so much more sense. lol
This is just a guess, but I imagine actually saying this verbally would be similar to saying “lol” or “l.m.a.o.” in actual speech.

Here’s the article:

18 Likes

Ik think the grass kanji is also used in formal writing to indicate something serious. No idea what, though. I saw it in a letter the teacher was showing the class to indicate how time consuming it is to write a letter to Japanese clients.

2 Likes

D: I haven’t seen that one, but then again, I haven’t ventured far into formal writing yet.

1 Like

Have you seen 大草原 「だいそうげん」(great grass field) yet? I find that one hilarious

6 Likes

Maybe 草々 (sincerely)?

5 Likes

That is probably it!

I believe the term is 草生える(くさはえる)(sprouting grass) for the wwwww. Sometimes you even see people say 草生える directly in place of the wwwww to denote laughing. Japanese slang is so interesting lol

3 Likes

そう言えばこれは草

4 Likes

They’re smoking too much 草

4 Likes

That’s the kind of dumb nonsense I like about Japanese.

3 Likes

xX三百六十ノースコープXx
xX四百二十燃やすXx

Not going to lie, part of me died writing this.

2 Likes

I just started watching her videos like yesterday. It’s unhealthy, yet I can’t stop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.