Small error in example sentence for 入り江

Pretty sure there is an error in the example sentence for 入り江
It is written as follows:
バルト海の北の入江で知らない人からプロポーズされたんですが、とてもロマンチックだったのでつい承諾してしまったんです。

Fun sentence, but I think you probably want to have the word learned written the way it was learned in the sentence :smiley: You’ve written 入江 instead of 入り江. 入江 is usually a name, often pronounced いのえ, though sometimes also pronounced いりえ like the vocab word. Whether or not the word can occasionally drop the okurigana I can’t promise, but I’m pretty sure if you google 入江 you’re going to exclusively come up with images of people, not inlets. I would guess you guys want it to be consistent, having the word written in the example sentence the same way it is taught.

2 Likes

My dictionary has it being written either way, with 入り江 being more common (I think no okurigana in the middle is an older way of writing such words, but you still see it sometimes even in modern writings)

On the one hand, it’s taught as 入り江 so it should probably be written that way in the example(s), but on the other hand, it can be written more than one way so it’s nice to get the exposure

10 Likes

This is very common in Japanese where some characters are dropped but the pronunciation remains the same. Both are correct and mean the same thing. This “gotcha” has helped you learn more about the word and I bet you will never forget it now. :wink:

It’s actually very beneficial to recognise these words, because in the wild there may not be a preferred version. 入り+X words tend to have this. Even 入り口。

Edit for context: Goo 辞書

8 Likes

And oddly enough, I think I’ve seen versions without okurigana more often than with, even though the ones with are the main entry in jisho.org

1 Like

Fair enough. I thought maybe the use of okurigana was optional, but I’m still a little surprised by everyone saying it’s actually more common without the okurigana. Just googling 入江 pulls up exclusively results for people, and googling 入り江 brings up exclusively results for inlets.
Even if 入江 is more common, I still think WaniKani would want to have the word appear in the form it is taught in the example sentence right? Maybe not? Maybe it’s a bonus to introduce the alternate spelling?

A ton of those people results (if not most) are Chinese, so I wouldn’t draw conclusions just from that.

Also looking at Terms of Use ┃ NINJAL-LWP for TWC I don’t see it ever written as 入江, so you could even go as far to say it’s not really used.

2 Likes

Hey Everyone!

I will bring this up to the content team to see if they want to make any changes to the context sentence or maybe add more sentences. Thanks for bringing this up. I will include all of your discussion as well! :slightly_smiling_face:

-Nick at WK

1 Like

Hi Everyone!

So, I let the content team know about 入り江 and they changed the first context sentence to reflect the way we teach the word. We then added two new context sentences that also include 入江.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughtful input on this one!

-Nick at WK

6 Likes

Man, I love it when words have three or more context sentences, thanks so much. Let the content team know I really read them all and they aren’t just wasting there time :smiley:

Edit: I’m worried this could sound sarcastic, it’s not, it is incredibly sincere. Words with more context sentences makes me really really happy.

3 Likes

Hi kokopelli121123! No problem! I’ll let WK content know that you appreciate the context sentences. :slightly_smiling_face: They will be happy to hear about it!

-Nick at WK

1 Like

I’ve noticed this with google search as well. When the search term contains only kanji, image search tends to return Chinese results. One workaround is to insert some kana in the search term.

For example, instead of 入江, if I use 入江の船 as the search term, the pictures Google returns are those of inlets.

Mmm; I like to just drop の into the search string, since any Japanese text is bound to include it somewhere. Searching for ‘入江 の’ gets a mix of people and inlets, which makes sense.