Slow & Steady Is Much More Gratifying Than Leveling (in my opinion)

yeah, it’s fine for those who want to take it slow, but in my case I’m okay with going at a 7 days a half for level pace. My strategy is based on pre-studying radicals and kanji a few days before because I want to barely look at the lessons and try to get new radicals and kanji to Apprentice 2 as fast as I can. That way I don’t feel overwhelmed by doing 60+ lessons at once. With vocabulary I go slower but I use them mostly to help memorize kanji readings, so I pre-study them a little bit as well. The level up thing is irrelevant, I just want to unlock new content every week and leveling up is just the means to an end. I’m only rushing because I focused to heavily on grammar but neglected vocabulary and kanji too much, so I’m playing catch up. If at any point a level a week becomes too much for me, then I’ll slow down, but for now it’s all fine.

@pgoonghang, I like your style, and I read your posts, among many others, before choosing my learning rate (10 items/day). While I agree with OP that turtles are the best - especially old ones, rabbits are ok with me too.

That’s why I’m trying to go fast. I don’t wanna pay more because of my slowness. :cry:

But in general, Wanikani has helped me a lot, and I want to support it, so I probably should give them all of my money anyway.

For me personally, I found that when I started being able to consume things like my favourite light novels with actual comprehension, it motivated me to go faster, not for the sake of levelling up, but for actually having all that extra useful kanji and vocabulary. It’s pretty amazing I think that literally every level I go up has plenty of relevant kanji and vocab that pop up in what I read and it’s definitely spurring me forwards. Inching closer and closer to almost complete comprehension is a very nice feeling! I feel I’m comprehending a lot more of what I learn than before, despite going faster.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.