"Skip Radicals"

I have more difficulty getting the readings than the meanings. What you mentioned is probably the reason why.

Also, am I the only one creating mmemonics with puns all the time? :joy:

1 Like

Do share! (maybe in a separate thread)

1 Like

I think most people find meanings easier than readings. That’s because meanings have an attached “meaning value” we understand and can relate too. Sounds are harder to remember when they don’t have any “value” behind them. At some point language learners associate one directly with the other, with no intermediate translation, which is pretty similar to thinking in that language. It’s like how English songs are way easier to memorize than songs in other languages.

Of course, the readings come first with non-logographic languages. First you learn how it sounds, then what it means. And the homophones in Japanese and Chinese don’t help at all.

EDIT: Tip of the tongue phenomenon proves that isn’t always true. But you know what I mean.

1 Like

There’s probably a better way to do this, but here you go:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         WaniKani - Radicals, Go Home
// @namespace    radicalsGoHome
// @version      0.2
// @description 
// @author       procrastination
// @include      https://*wanikani.com/review/session
// @include      https://*wanikani.com/lesson/session
// @grant        none
// @run-at       document-idle
// ==/UserScript==

(function init() {
  // set to false if you want to look at radicals (already answered, need just to hit enter)
  const fullSkip = true;

const click = target => {
    const ev = new MouseEvent('click', { bubbles: true, cancelable: true, view: window });
    target.dispatchEvent(ev);
  };

// jStorage current item key for lessons / review
  const currentType = ~window.location.pathname.indexOf('lesson') ? 'l/currentQuizItem' : 'currentItem';

function radicalsGoHome() {
    const inputField = document.querySelector('#user-response');
    const submitButton = document.querySelector('#answer-form form button');
    const quizSelector = document.querySelector('#quiz');
    const currentItem = $.jStorage.get(currentType);

if ((!quizSelector || quizSelector.style.display === 'block') && currentItem && currentItem.hasOwnProperty('rad')) {
      setTimeout(() => {
        inputField.value = currentItem.en[0];
        click(submitButton);
      }, 100);

if (fullSkip) {
        setTimeout(() => click(submitButton), 100);
      }
    }
  }

// subscribe to item change
  $.jStorage.listenKeyChange(currentType, radicalsGoHome);

// check initial item
  radicalsGoHome();
}());

Works with reviews, but I don’t have any lessons right now to test.
Set the “fullSkip” variable to false if you want to at least read them.

quick edit: more validation, since I don’t know how the app behaves during lessons.

edit 2: now works with lessons

3 Likes

Most of my mmemonics are mixed with Portuguese (my native language) and English, so unfortunately it wouldn’t be effective for most of the people in here =/

However, I just created a topic about a tool that would allow users to share mmemonics with each other ^^ Let me know your opinion about it!

This doesn’t auto-guru them straightaway though right? It marks them right/complete, but still has to adhere to the SRS timeline?

No, it just auto-answers when radicals popup. Eventually, it will bring them to guru through, but it’s going to take some time.
I didn’t want to mess with stuff, nor do I familiar with the wanikani app behavior to do something more sensible. It’s just a quick hack.

Gotcha, thanks!

I know you said you prefer WK’s SRS system, but I wonder if this would help at all? A long while back I put about 20 levels’ worth of kanji, divided up by level, in an SRS site called Brainscape. It only includes readings and meanings, no mnemonics, but you said you don’t use WK’s mnemonics anyway, and perhaps you’d like it a little better than Anki? It’s pretty simple to use. Brainscape: The Best Flashcards App | Make Flashcards Online

2 Likes

I doubt the API even let’s you mess with an items SRS level.

Yah, it doesn’t, that was the question viet responded to.

EDIT: But sometimes creativity finds a way, so I aws verifying :wink:

Is that javascript? Sexy.

2 Likes

Updated this abomination so it works with lessons now. Had to add timeouts to prevent weirdness.

Timeouts shudder

Just saw this post, before creating an account, just looking at it I see level 12+, with level 12 containing “beforehand/yo” kanji which I learned in level 8/9 on WK. How close are these to current WK levels? Did WK restructure their kanji-levels at some point? Also, doesn’t it have some radicals too (I saw Tie Fighter for example)? How do I find what’s kanji and what’s a radical? ← figured that one out, for others: (k) = kanji and (r) = radical, and it seems to be organized so radicals are grouped at the top.

Ah, yeah, I forgot I put radicals in there too. XD It’s been a year or so since I made them, so WaniKani certainly could have shuffled some stuff around since then. If you think you might use it, I could go through and update the levels (and maybe even add the missing ones while I’m at it).

1 Like

Let me signup and give it a try before you go through the effort.

EDIT: This site is really cool though, I like the “knowledge rehab” packs. Good way to pickup and learn or relearn some stuff about a variety of topics.

I like this tool a lot! If you have time and want to update it, I’ll definitely use it.

Glad you like it! So far I’ve gone over the level 12 to 24 decks, and apart from a couple of radicals being added or deleted, there weren’t any differences between them and current WaniKani. I’ll keep going over them when I have a chance, but you can feel free to start using the early ones if you like :slight_smile: I’ve also marked the radicals more clearly.

2 Likes

I would definitely use it too! It seems perfect to make sure you keep refreshing your mind with the Kanji. WK is awesome but I have all the time in the world to study so using your decks would be a great tool.
Unfortunately, I’m still on level 4 :frowning: Not sure if you plan on adding lower levels.

1 Like