Site Formatting Broken - Windows 10

After coming back to the site for the first time in quite a while, it now looks like this on all pages, in all browsers.
This is regardless of extensions, cache, cookies, login, PC restarts, and so on.

1 Like

Works fine for me…

EDIT: Maybe try on your phone or some other device to see if it’s only your computer or your network?

1 Like

Yeah, I imagined an issue this big must not be a widespread problem, otherwise people would definitely be talking about it, and I couldn’t find any threads saying anything similar.

The site works fine on all the other PCs in the same house, including some other Windows 10 PCs.

1 Like

Something’s blocking your computer from downloading the CSS files.

3 Likes

Any idea what that might be? Because I tried after completely disabling all adblocking extensions and got the same result, and multiple browsers all show the same result as well.

Open up the developer tools and reload the page. See if there are any errors, or if it’s just slow.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s progress - there is an error keeping the CSS from loading, having to do with an invalid certificate.

In the dev console, go to the Network tab and check Disable cache. Then try refreshing the page again (with the console still open). I’m not sure if this will help, but it’s worth a shot.

Have you updated Windows recently?

Disabling the cache doesn’t stop the errors. But yes, Windows did download the KB4100347 update just yesterday.

From what I can tell, it’s an issue having to do with the site’s certificate being written in an older way. The way RFC 2818 explains it is,

“If a subjectAltName extension of type dNSName is present, that MUST
be used as the identity. Otherwise, the (most specific) Common Name
field in the Subject field of the certificate MUST be used. Although
the use of the Common Name is existing practice, it is deprecated and
Certification Authorities are encouraged to use the dNSName instead.”

So the problem could be the fault of the site’s certificate, but from what I’m seeing, it might also be the fault of Bitdefender antivirus somehow, I’m not sure.

1 Like

this seems more like you have a DNS issue. you might want to restart your router or search how to flushdns

1 Like

Thing is, I think I already tried a DNS flush and it didn’t help. Also, all other computers connected to the same router have no issue.

It looks like you aren’t getting the right certificate.This is what I see:
image image
If you have a Bitdefender antivirus, you might try turning of SSL Scanning, like they suggest here:
https://www.bitdefender.com/support/cannot-access-secure-websites-since-i-installed-bitdefender-1600.html

I can’t guarantee it’ll work, but it’s coming from the software vendor, so it should be safe to at least try.

1 Like

I’ve already been to that page, I don’t think it applies to me. I’m using the free version, which I believe doesn’t have SSL Scanning at all.

I did a brief Googlefu’ing and found this:

Is your device’s datetime set correctly? Maybe a long shot…

1 Like

Yeah, correct date and time.
Far as I’ve been able to tell, something about the way the site’s certificate is written disagrees with the antivirus in some way.
As a workaround, I switched to another antivirus, and everything seems okay for the time being.

Bummer.

Our cert expires in June. We’ll probably be switching to Let’s Encrypt short before that happens.

2 Likes

Looking at the earlier screenshots, the certificate you have, and the certificate I have are very different, and that alone explains why you aren’t getting the things you’re missing.

Why you’re getting the different cert is going to be the source of your problem.

1 Like