Silver fox

My mate in a language class I do. The class has had a few teachers and all of them know “Silver Fox” cause of my friend here. He said the Japanese word is “Dandy” from the French. Anyone else heard this before?

3 Likes

Is there any particular reason to believe it’s not from English? Maybe he’s just mistaken?

It’s thought that maybe the word “dandy” came from “jack-a-dandy”, which might have come from French, but certainly became popular in English during the Napoleonic Wars, but overall, the general etymology of “dandy” is a bit unclear. From what I’ve been able to google. How it arrived in Japanese is anyone’s guess, but yeah, English is probably the culprit.

To clarify one thing, is “this” the word “dandy”, or the fact that “dandy” came from French? Because the word “dandy” is certainly not unheard-of.

3 Likes

The person in the picture told me in Japanese a “silver fox” is called dandy and that it was from French. From my searching online too I agree that it is probably a mistake. I`ll see if I can get more information out of him in our next class. Space Dandy was also the first thing I thought of haha.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.