Show me your study schedules

I use a 14 day schedule for WaniKani. This requires about 10 lessons per day and doing most of the reviews in the morning. Following this pace leaves time in the evenings for grammar, reading, listening, watching, and even just relaxing.

• Morning: Reviews until the bulk are completed
  • Late Afternoon: Lessons 10
  • Evening: Reviews for the 10 items learned in the late afternoon.

Here is the topic that I started with a lot more detail about how this 14 day schedule works.

4 Likes

That’s really similar to my schedule as described a few posts up. I come out to about 16 days per level right now because I sometimes slack off a bit on the weekends.

Yes! Very similar. I think the key insight for me was doing lessons during the 5pm hour. This allows us to do the first review at the end of the day, thus shifting all future reviews to any convenient time in the morning. I happen to like doing a block of reviews when I first wake up in morning. Even if my mind isn’t the sharpest, it helps me to get going with something productive.

Morning: Do all Wanikani reviews available

Lunch time: Do any new Wanikani reviews.

After work: Yet more reviews.

Evening:

• Read at least one chapter of manga, but more if it’s an easy manga (よつば&!、ハイキュー!!、おじさまと猫、カードキャプターさくら、etc.)
  • Watch anime in Japanese (Japanese subs on easy anime, English subs on difficult anime).
  • Final Wanikani reviews for the day

I do all Wanikani lessons as soon as they’re available, rather than spreading them out, which can make some days more arduous than others.

I also meet with a Japanese tutor once a week to practice conversation for an hour and a half, and then occasionally write to my former host family in Japanese either via social media or by snail mail. I also study casually from Tobira, but right now I’m more concerned about kanji than grammar, so it tends to take a back seat. I was doing Torii, but I decided that I wanted to learn the words with kanji on and furigana off, so I’m trying to get a larger kanji base to work with via Wanikani first.

3 Likes

Exactly. The Apprentice I review must be on the same day. When I did lessons at night, before going to bed, my accuracy next morning was hot garbage.

2 Likes

Aight, uh…

I’m also reading アオハライド with some people on discord, slowly.

Speak for like 5 minutes daily with a Tandem partner.

Teach a weekly Japanese class to kids, so I review stuff sometimes.

2 Likes

Teaching a Japanese class to kids. That’s soo cool. How old are the kids?

1 Like

I’m going to add watching shows with Japanese subtitles to my plan.

10-13.

First semester is mostly hiragana and some basic grammar, but I try to do (fun?) activities to keep them entertained. I also teach them about Japanese culture (from what I know).

Oh we played this fun game in the beginner class last week.
The teacher put hiragana paper on the whiteboard using magnets. She’d say a word and we would have to find the right hiragana letters.
It was so so fun. I already knew hiragana but I still like this game.
Materials
-whiteboard
-magnets
-paper with hiragana on it

1 Like

My “schedule” depends widely on how overwhelmed Im feeling. Its been a very overwhelming year. But on my good days:

On my commute (bus/train)
-Clear all Wani-Kani reviews
-One or two Duolingo lessons

If I have free time at work
-Read chapter book, write summary (in English) and log vocabulary in Anki
-Study Anki decks

Before bed
-WaniKani reviews

I don’t like to have a lot of reviews at once so I’ll rarely do lessons. I’ve been stretching my free levels for a looong time.

I also have the Genki I textbook/workbook and a kid’s Kanji workbook that I break out when I’m feeling ambitious.

I live in Japan and work primarily with people with little to no English ability. This is good for immersive learning but contributes greatly to the overwhelmed feeling that makes me slack off on studying.

This is something I really want to start doing. I downloaded Anki today but haven’t started using it yet because I switched the language on my phone and can’t figure out how to use the app yet haha. I’m already reading a book but I’m going to take it more seriously because I want to immerse more and have All Japanese all the time. (Kinda)

Oh I definitely hear you on the overwhelmed stuff. Feels like I have such low concentration skills and it’s hard not to compare myself to others who do more studying.
I’m trying to do lots of passive studying.

what I try to do is:

morning
wanikani ~30-50 minutes (this balloons if its a new batch of lessons)
kamesame ~15 minutes (I only do things that are guru+ in WK)
bunpro ~5-10 minutes
anki ~10 minutes (vocab from Minna no Nihongo)

afternoon
wanikani ~15 minutes

evening
read a texbook (currently Minna no Nihongo) ~25 minutes

I’m hoping to incorporate speaking and listening practice daily, but havent found the time yet.
Also worth noting that I have a once a week beginner class thats 1.5 hours.

3 Likes

Amazing!!! Keep going!
Try having japanese on in the background while you study kanji. It’s supposed to help.
Nihongo con teipei is a good beginner podcast.

Any particular reason why you do the みんなの日本語 vocabs in Anki instead of KameSame? That’s what I’m doing when I have a non-WK vocab that I want to learn. On the KS lessons page, I just put the words I want into the “study words found in content” dialog.

Another vote for Nihongo con Teppei. I think this podcast has been the best addition to my daily study habits over the past year.

I listen to one episode a day multiple times. In the morning I listen to the episode a couple times while getting ready and I try to figure it out without looking anything up. Then in the evening while getting ready for bed I listen to the episode again, pausing to look up vocabulary and grammar along the way.

1 Like

I have this same question:

I don’t use Anki or KameSame but I’m interested in adding one of them to my routine. While I used to use the lists and flash cards feature of this Japanese dictionary app, I mostly stopped when I started studying WaniKani. But if KameSame has all the benefits of Anki plus integration with WaniKani, then I think I’ll go that way.

Mostly because there were per chapter decks made for MNN, and I’ve found that deck creation isn’t worth the time (my retention has been equivalent with pre-made decks).

1 Like

The intro and music make me happy
The whole podcast is very relaxing to listen to

1 Like

I added anki to my study schedule yesterday.
I have a bunch of words in a list on my phone that I have learned once but have never studied. I’m putting them in the flashcard system.