Show me your books!

Hello! I’m a book hoarder who can’t read Japanese (yet! :laughing:)

I’ve collected my books over nearly two decades. Long before I decided to study Japanese, I chose books with interesting layouts and visuals. Topics range from travel to cooking to crafts (miniatures, embroidery) to design to photography to Japanese culture to… ojisan?

As far as study aids go, I have Genki I and II, a vintage reading guide, and a couple of books from my Japan trip in Jan 2020.
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.36.14 PM

Thanks for restarting this topic. I’m excited to learn about more books and broaden my knowledge of what’s out there.

23 Likes

These I bought last year when I started learning. I’m still not good enough to comprehend but I do like cracking one open to motivate me every now and then.

I also have a collection in boxes that I bought over the course of a couple decades that includes various BL manga, the entirety of Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl manga, and lotsss of idol magazines (Potato,WinkUp, Myojo, etc).

20 Likes

Nah just noticed! Although I do tend to like the first one

Hey that one’s nice I agree! I think I read some of it ages ago in English

What a transformation!

Lol there are so many book clubs!

Isn’t that life? I think you’ve read a lot personally

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, you have the library editions of 満月を探して :heart_eyes:
I love that series so much. As well as 種村先生s other work.
That edition was one of my first purchases my first time in japan (since then i also bought the normal versions at bookoff :see_no_evil:, and i already had the german version).

Since you are into BL have you ever thought about reading 美しい彼?
I loved the tv series and bought the light novel, but i’m a bit intimidated. I was thinking about suggesting a bookclub, but it is 18+ so i think it might not be something for the forum. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hello! :blush: I have seen the drama but I didn’t know there was a novel. Might have to find it. Ty :two_hearts:

Have you heard that there will be a movie? No date yet, but i’m excited :laughing: though for movies the time till it will be viewable outside of japan is longer than for dramas :weary:

Oh great! Maybe the platform that got the license out of Japan will get it sometime. Still waiting on the Cherry Magic movie too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Is it? :hushed: It’s still showing up for me on booklive, even though I am supposed to block everything above R15.
(That being said, there are no strict regulations for books in Japan, so maybe the flag was just not set)

1 Like

Well i think i remember seeing a sticker on the plastic wrapping, but i already took that of and having flipped through it at least one of the pictures was serious bl, but since i haven’t read it and i don’t know how they determine the rating :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Just reorganized my bookshelf, so I thought I’d show an update.

32 Likes

You bookshelf makes me want to visit you. :smiley: :smiley:

I have to ask: How many languages are you speaking/studying?!
Clearly Japanese and English, but I can see Chinese, Korean and German?
Thats soooo impressive!! :open_mouth:
Are those all? Or is english not even your native language?

4 Likes

I’m just studying Japanese and Korean at the moment actually. The couple of French books were given to me by my high school French teacher super long ago; French and Spanish were the only language options at my high school. The Chinese books were from a university class. The German was a project I was going to do with my friend a few years ago, but we actually never got around to opening the books. :sweat_smile: It took me a long time to settle on which languages I really wanted to focus on.
And yeah, English is my native language.

3 Likes

I finally got my Amazon account working on my 11 year old Kindle, so I can start reading on that. I hate reading on screens, but Kindle is a good compromise. The issue now is the cost compared to buying books used. Some books I’m just not ready for but like that I have the physical copy if I go on a trip or something, but the Kindle battery is so long and theres the dictionary so if I don’t know something its far easier to look up on the fly. I’m torn on selling my physical books. どうする!?!?!

6 Likes

What about selling the ones you have digitally?

Personally, I’d be reluctant to sell my physical books but that’s mostly because I’ve heard horror stories from friends who sudden lost their digital libraries because companies didn’t announce their closure properly. It’s probably less of a concern with Amazon, but could happen.

2 Likes

can you sell digital books? OMG I’m turning into a boomer! X.X

EDIT: Oh you mean sell the ones I have two copies of in favor of digital.

Yeah that’s my concern too. I also just in general don’t like relying on tech a lot. I don’t use Social Networking outside of WK. Problem is mostly a combination of time and space. On one hand if digital is like TOO easy to get so I can go overboard and buy books because I think I will read them, but on the other hand physical takes up physical space which can be trouble as I’m running out of it.

6 Likes

Ah no, I might selling the physical copies if you have the same book digitally

3 Likes

Yeah I reread it xD

3 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see your edit in time!

1 Like

I finally got all my books together for a photo! Lots of second hand random purchases - some free ones.

The N1 and N2 study guides are a purchase for the future - maybe. Found them on eBay at a very good price!

Most of my actual reading books are on Bookwalker.

24 Likes

Wow, a lot has changed since then. I started collecting first prints and I managed to snag about 25 today. I went ahead and forced myself to sort them.

Before:

After:

laugh crying that I accidently put the censored one lmao

18 Likes