Should you do all lessons at once?

The first question to ask yourself is how much time do you have to dedicate to reviews, and when? That’ll help you determine a schedule that you can sustain every day, and to some extent how many lessons you should plan to do (and when). Keep in mind that the workload will only increase as you go.

For what its worth, I did all of the lessons as soon as they were available (or close to it) for the first 7 or so levels, and have a habit of doing all of my reviews every hour. As long as you’re able to do the reviews daily (or better yet at least 2x every day), it’s definitely possible. The vocab is immensely helpful in reinforcing the kanji, so it can be very effective, if you have the time to put in, to do everything at once like that.

As you get further along, you may find, like I did, that this becomes too difficult to keep up (so many new lessons when I leveled up :scream:). A more common strategy for the longer term seems to be to do a few lessons every day (I do 20-25/day, many people do less). Rather than waiting for all newly learned items to hit guru, I have a target number of apprentice items (typically ~100-125) that I try to keep. If I have >150 items at apprentice, I’ll consider doing fewer lessons for a while to get a better grasp of the things I have already learned. If my apprentice count drops below 100, I might do a few extra lessons that day. As you progress, you should get a better feel for how many reviews you can manage to keep up with, and how to space out lessons. I also use the reorder script to get a mix of new kanji and old vocab in my lessons, but yeah—be careful with those…

Obligatory link with some useful tips that might help you to think about how best to fit WK into your schedule, if you haven’t seen it yet:

4 Likes