[Level 0] Introducing Small Characters and SRS

What do you think?

11 Likes

That should be their title. Don’t disagree.

1 Like

@Leebo would reset to 0 if it were made next time.

16 Likes

I don’t understand what’s happening here.

2 Likes

You and me both :thinking:

5 Likes

Interesting.

Level 0 could be “Intro to WaniKani” and get the user integrated into SRS over the space of a day or two.

This would have the effect of allowing a Level 1 reset without losing past data and access to old mnemonics. Maybe.

13 Likes

Well then,

4 Likes

dfe

5 Likes

Oh, uh, sorry. But in seriousness, I think the proposal made by @atomicalex is actually a cool idea I would like to see happen.
Will it? Probably not. Should it? Yes.

2 Likes

Love this idea! We’ll talk about it during our next meeting

36 Likes

Also if this hypothetical 0 exists, MAKE SURE users know the difference between じょ and じよ

EDIT: I know WK isn’t focusing on teaching new users hiragana (mainly because there’s already a Tofugu article on it) and small vs large characters are in the FAQ. What I mean is, maybe having ć„ł in level 0 and linking the FAQ page if user gets it wrong.

19 Likes

Level 0 was actually available on WaniKani. Level 0 means “limitless” so everything is already unlocked and you have all the Kanji, vocab’, radicals and reviews together. It was supposed to show everything to beginners so that they can get a very good idea on WaniKani.

However, a lot of new people ended up with PTSD and left WK so the developers removed it once and for all.

13 Likes

Wait, what?

I accidentally contributed?

No way!!

14 Likes

If I may

If the idea of level 0 is ever brought to life, it would also be nice to have “an introduction of Japanese” kind of thing. At least some people (like myself) found wanikani with no prior knowledge of the structure of japanese and, although I figured it out myself, it would be a very beginner-friendly move to explain the basics in some kind of a first lesson - talk about hiragana and katakana, explain why is it important to realize that Wanikani focuses precisely on kanji and you have to study some things yourself. It’s kind of talked in the emails, but a loud and clear lesson-like statement would be awesome.
And this too:

because i don’t know what that means and i want to >~>

5 Likes

Well, there’s this

and this

You should check them out!

7 Likes

Thank you!
However, that’s kind of not exactly my thought^^"

I proposed more like integrating some of that knowledge right into the lessons. To force the disorientated user to create some structure or plan in their mind after the first lesson. I’m exaggerating here a little bit, just to illustrate the point.

1 Like

SRS stands for Spaced Repetition System. It’s the reason we have Reviews - to review an item at varying intervals depending on your answer last time.

4 Likes

It might be interesting to incorporate some basic Katakana words into level 0 too just to get the user used to the interface.

(I know WK only teaches Kanji-related vocab, but that might be overridden to give the user some experience.)

2 Likes

I was going to jump in here to say this, but take it one step further.

I suggested in the past that a pop-up window might appear when it’s specifically something like small ょ and what not that someone is getting wrong. Some people get all bUt iT’s iN thE FaQ but enough people start a thread over problems that end up being exactly this that for the love of the crabigator can we just address it more directly 

Would be a better user experience for those starting out and we wouldn’t need the same threads popping up again and again and again anymore.

2 Likes

The meeting didn’t go well, I assume?