Should I study despite being sleep deprived?

There’s probably already a bunch of answers on here saying no, but I want to add my no into the mix. When I’m sleepy, I always get very simple things wrong, sometimes depriving me from a nice set of burns. I recently got 学校 wrong, which just felt terrible afterwards and will take a whole bunch of time to get back on top. You might have your next review at an earlier time than normal, but you’ll also fail a whole bunch with no accurate representation of how well you actually know the review item.

I suffer from a terrible sleep schedule as well, and basically, the answer is no. Avoid it.

If you do new lessons, it’s very very unlikely you’ll actually memorise anything, and you’ll staring at a long list of critical items later on. Same for reviews, your chances of misremembering and typoing are much higher if you’re sleep deprived.

2 Likes

Just go to bed wk will be there tomorrow. Always tell yourself, this is not a sprint it’s a marathon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WK will be there tomorrow? Are you sure about this? I keep hearing about this so-called Durtlepocalypse.

2 Likes

I agree with this 100%.

1 Like

1 Like

If you can’t understand Japanese on 4 hours of sleep, can you really say you understand Japanese at all?

1 Like

@seanblue, let me have a cup of coffee before I answer that…

5 Likes

Maybe we should ask our friend what he thinks about it, shall we @ him?

giphy

2 Likes

Sleep helps with memory retention, not to mention with general alertness. It may feel like you’re getting more done in the short term, but not giving your brain a chance to process all of that does little good for the long term.

Also from personal experience, I wanted to do “one more review” before bed. I can attest to blankly staring at those items the next morning having no recall over those items. A few hours not sleeping is worth more than a few hours of faster “progress”.

Sounds like the same symptoms of being jet lagged when one arrives at Narita (assuming one lives in the west :flight_arrival: :clock230:). I would stick with casual reading/listening as this is a realistic scenario to practice and a less stressful/more fun study. If you choose to watch a drama/YT/anime/etc., one could just keep it on constant repeat so you can get the both the repetition benefit and sleepy boredom effect for a good nights rest :sleeping:.

Before I had my daughter I suffered from really bad insomnia and would easily go 36 hours unable to sleep and when I’d sleep it wouldn’t be very long, and it continued for roughly 6 years. I did try studying Japanese back then and my only advice to that is, reviews have priority, expect them to be low retention. If you can review more often that helps. Don’t be discouraged if you walk away with a 40% or 60% retention rate, as that is what sleep deprivation does to the brain. Even if it is an item you know so well like your name, sleep deprivation can take the access to it away at a moments notice.

The flipside is, if you’re reviewing at lower intervals you have to review more often, then you need to slow your lessons down too unless you have a lot of time on your hands, then honestly, 60% of 100 is not at good as 60% of 300, but you’ll have to spend a lot of time reviewing and picking up those leeches. I used anki during this time with lower intervals and it helped me make a huge difference with my school work that I needed to memorize. Here you can use things like the Self Study Quiz for same affect.

After I had my daughter and my hormones shifted, I still have trouble staying asleep but can sleep so much better. Unfortunately now I have to sleep 9 hours to feel mostly rested. My retention is better now, but not by a whole lot (roughly 70-84%). I still choose quantity when I have tons of extra time on my hands because I’m just playing the numbers. It might be worth an experiment or two on your hands to see what thresholds provide the best retention for you. I actually made an excel sheet and found that learning roughly 100 new facts a day had better retention than trying to learn only 50 or 150 for instance for optimal time to review/ability to retain/new lessons learned action.

Hope this was helpful in some way. Hope one day you too aren’t suffering so badly from insomnia. They tried me on things like ambien to no luck :confused:

2 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.