Should I purchase the lifetime subscription?

I think so! You might get to level 60 and choose to reset.
Or…life could happen and you might have to take a break for who knows how long. I averaged at under 10 days a level…then kids happened and I was away for 400 days! I’d say 70% of it stuck, so that was good.

Also, you could get to level 60 and then reset back to 1. I plan to do this so that I can focus on writing each kanji the next time around. Resetting is also good for those burns that need a little further incineration.

2 Likes

This doesn’t work for rich people! Though I do agree, knowing I spent cash on a gym or WK subscription each month keeps me motivated.

Anyways, having pressure to finish WK within your year(s) may make you faster, but you may begin to dislike WK/kanji and burn out. You might even cheat yourself by trying to go fast and not committing things to long-term memory. SO it really depends on the person.

2 Likes

I didn’t think of this. Good point and I like the idea of learning to write the kanji second time round.

1 Like

I bought lifetime last year and it’s been pretty great. I took a break for like 4 months cause I needed it and didn’t have any worries at all since I had lifetime :slight_smile:

… yes on this. Everyone keeps forgetting to mention that we gain immortality by purchasing the lifetime. They may not be clear enough about that in the FAQ. But, you know, undead is not the right thing for everyone. :zombie: :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

On the other hand you could use Kaniwani or kamesame the second time around.
It goes from english to japanese so if you can recall the way to write kanji that way; two birds. Recall and writing.
You’d still need your subscription for that API though. (In case you don’t know about API, it lets you use other apps based on your WK progress, and a bunch of other handy features/scripts)

2 Likes

You can come back from a paused monthly subscriptiontoo, of course

1 Like

Currently I’m doing WK and KW, but if I want to continue in about 3 years (going at current rate), I’m planning to use KameSame (if it’s still around). I won’t ever reset from 60, though. I want that gold forum flair. :grinning:

They need to let us keep our gold after we reset.
Maybe even some sort of COD Prestige like system? Glittery badge when you hit double 60?
@viet: You’re not doing anything else right?

5 Likes

Let’s put it this way. If you get the lifetime membership and feel like you don’t need it 5 years down the road then you can sell it to a friend and make part of you money back.

Depends on how long you’re planning to live

2 Likes

My reason for monthly subscription

2 Likes

There once was a guy from Asunción
who asked us an instructive question
“To learn all 漢字
with WaniKani,
should I buy a lifetime subscription?”

6 Likes

Was going to poem you back but was rudely interrupted by a colleague :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I looked in the Terms of Service to see if account selling would violate the terms:

https://www.wanikani.com/terms

However, I couldn’t find anything that explicitly states that you can’t sell your account. The only statement I could find which may play into this is here:

“Your login may only be used by one person — i.e., a single login may not be shared by multiple people.”

Of course, a WaniKani account is very personal when it comes to your learning track so sharing would naturally defeat the purpose of the account. However, once someone is done using WaniKani and gives someone else their account (or sells their account) it would go from one person to one person which would still abide by the Terms.

I did some searching and couldn’t find a definitive answer regarding Tofugu’s stance on account selling. The best answer I could find is here:

The best thing to do to support Tofugu as a company would be to refrain from reselling an account.

Agreed. It’s a gray area ethically but not explicitly forbidden in the terms so the user does have the legal right to sell. I think WaniKani should change this to prevent this in the future too but for anyone getting an account before the terms are updated it’s completely allowed (but unethical).

I did actually look through the terms and conditions before purchasing my membership as I wanted to make sure it was not in violation to sell an account as I was planning to sell it after I’m completely confident with everything (likely in 5 years).

1 Like

This isn’t like a company where there are anonymous faces behind the scenes, and for that I am happy to support it with my dollars ( I reset my account which is why I am on lvl 3). Subscriptions help make all of this possible. And for sure there are people who share log-ins and maybe sell their accounts if they decide WK is no longer for them, but I am positive that in five years there will be so much more available to us because of money going directly to WK. :heart:

2 Likes

True enough, if in that time relevant lessons keep coming I’ll certainly still be here.

2 Likes

This is what I’m waiting for… then I’m all in!

2 Likes

When you see even big business scrambling to remain relevant, or risk disappearing (RIP Kmart!), no one can risk standing still and rely on never-ending loyalty. No matter how good the product is.

Innovate or die, right? :mechanical_arm:

1 Like