Short Translation Questions

From what I can find in a JP - JP dictionary, it is an idiomatic expression that means a versatile voice that can produce different types or styles of voices.

4 Likes

友達と話をした方が現実の生活についての話なのでテキストで英語を勉強するよりはるかに効率的で役に立つ。

I can’t make heads or tails of this one :confused:

Rather than studying English with the textbook, conversing with friends is far more effective, because the conversation is about actual every day things.

2 Likes

I’ve been translating HiNative J-E requests for fun/practice, but I wanna make sure I haven’t screwed anyone over.

I translated:
私達はここでのあなた達のビジネスが成功するよう、引き続き支援していきます。
as:
“So that your business succeeds, we will continuously keep supporting you”.

If the goal is for the English to sound natural, I would at the very least take out ‘continuously’. Also might consider not staying too close to the original, but more translate the sentiment.

You(r business) will have our continued support in your/its future endeavours.

Or something along those lines.

1 Like

True, I need to get out of the habit of literal translation. Though I often fidget what if I didn’t get the sentiment, so that’s why I go for the literal tl, I guess.

Someone else also answered the question with:
“We will continue to support you in order that your business may succeed here.”

Also, I’m confused by ここでのあなた達. Since the ここ has a で and a の attached, wouldn’t that mean ここ modifies あなた達 and not ビジネス? So it’s something like “you people here” (as opposed to some other team, perhaps?) While if it modified ビジネス it would imply there’s just one group of people, but multiple businesses?

I am also not sure what ここでの is doing in the sentence.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s modifying あなた達のビジネス.

Regarding the ここでの, it’s similar to 友達への手紙: “a letter to a friend”. I think this one is just harder to translate the added meaning without it sounding awkward in English.

https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-grammar/combined-particles/#2

cc @Saida

Also, coincidentally my Bunpro review just used this combination.

2 Likes

This is an excellent translation; it captures all of the meaning and it reads as natural English.

「ここで」modifies 「あなた達のビジネス」。Stiffly, it’s “your business (that you are doing) here”.

It’s like 「8時からのパーティー」or 「先生との話し合い」.

1 Like

@ everyone, I understood it’s particle combination. The part that I didn’t understand was that it can modify “compounds”, so to speak. I thought it can modify only the proceeding noun, and not an entire ([NounA]の[NounB]) construct.

How do you say this in English (US)? ‎ドクゼリの花言葉の「あなたは私を死なせる」「死も惜しまず」 は 英語 (アメリカ) で何と言いますか?

“In floriography, cowbane means ‘I don’t want you to die’, ‘I want to die without regrets’”.

This is an interesting one:

ボスはは部下をリスペクトしないし、平等に接しない。

At first, I translated it as: “Because the boss doesn’t have respect for his subordinates, he/she isn’t treated as an equal”, but talking with the person who asked for a translation, it turned out it’s more like:

“Our manager doesn’t respect the staff. Not only that, she doesn’t treat us fairly”.

This is a weird use of し, especially considering それに is thing. :thinking:

Why is it a weird usage? し means ‘and’, not ‘because’.

2 Likes

While it is “and”, it seems that it can be thought of as

Conjunctive particle. Follows items in a list of reasons.
し - Wiktionary, the free dictionary

and

(at the end of a phrase) notes one (of several) reasons​
Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

Also

1. Giving a reason and leading to the conclusion.
    How to use 〜し ( = shi ) – Maggie Sensei

I guess in the end it’s more how you think about it in English, than the meaning changing in Japanese, or something? More about the connotation? :thinking:

Oh, no. Seems like I did forget about this:

1 Like

800acfe126

This is the exact meaning I was missing. And the meaning the person on HiNative used. I can see from talking to them that they meant it as “on top of that”, but I always feel uncertain until I see it on some grammar resource. Thanks!

2 Likes

今回は1CCすることに集中するので、スコアは気にしないつもりです。

Any ideas for this one? It’s from a game, and I can’t figure out the 1cc part.

Perhaps? 「cc」とは?「グラムへの換算」や「グラムとの違い」をご紹介 | コトバの意味辞典

Although I don’t know which game, so :man_shrugging:.

Ah, shoot em up. Might be some type of item/skill/etc.

1 Like

I guess it does have an explanatory nuance, but I think it’s secondary to the ‘and’ meaning. Summoning @Carvs to the rescue!

One could even say tertiary, since it’s “and”, then “contrast”, then “reasons”.

But It’s there, anyway. Nenad just didn’t remember/know that.

1 Like

I definitely interpret it as giving a list of reasons from the times I’ve seen it when reading.

4 Likes