Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Also, 見るのです would be slightly less casual than 見るんです

Can 回る take a direct object?
For example: 今日は、お客さんと18ホールを回りました。

I’m asking because 回る is listed as intransitive and I was intrigued by that example sentence.

Verbs of motion (あるく, はしる, およぐ, わたる, まわる, etc) can take indirect objects marked by を, which gives the meaning of “through.”

Linguists don’t classify this as を marking a direct object. Some people don’t like that, but that’s the conclusion they’ve drawn. I don’t know enough about transitivity at a PhD linguist level to have an opinion.

So, you can say こうえんをあるく (walk through the park)
はらっぱをはしる (run through the field)
And so on.

6 Likes

I have this sentence: […]に興味がおありで? (From a manga), I think it means something like: Do you have an interest in […]?, but I’m not sure about おありで, あり is ある, to exist for inanimate things, the お is for honorifique stuff (but why is it here?), but I have no clue what the contextual particle で is doing here? (Especially in the answer to the question, the guy also add で at the end)

Short answer is yes they probably mean “Do you have interest in […]?”

おあり would be the an adaption of ある in polite form. Because this makes the verb a noun, だ is required. So to make it match the politeness です would be used instead. So no, it’s not で the contextual particle but the て-form of です.

Because people often misuse keigo in Japanese, maybe this was just a variant of piecemeal keigo that was being used in the manga for stylistic reasons?

I can’t go further into detail because ある has it’s own special form ござる → ございます (in ます form).

Hopefully that helps.

2 Likes

So basically, it’s です, but they skipped the す? Thanks!

I have another small question (Sorry), in another sentence, they say お安くできてんのな, the official english translation is “It’s very cheap”, お安い is “cheap” but I don’t understand how the sentence is built… Thanks!

Yes, it seems like that. But, not seeing the manga, I can’t say 100%.

お安くできてんのな → お安くできているの(*だ)な
お安く (the adverbial form of やすい) cheaply
できて (the て-form of できる) to be made/built
ん (a shortened form of る which is short for いる) attached to the て-form to denote a state
の is the explanatory の
な could either be connective form of だ depending on what form follows it or the sentence ending particle な which is the “rougher” form of ね. Since you’re sending these examples completely void of context, I can’t tell you what it could be. *That’s why the だ is in parentheses. In any event, this is pretty loose speech so I can’t say for certain without more information.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot! That character speaks very colloquially, so I have trouble understanding him, but with your explanation, the context makes sense. I had no idea いる could be shortened as ん though, I only knew you could say てる in oral speech.

Yeah, things like なにしてんの (what are you doing) are pretty frequently heard.

4 Likes

You might find some of the information in this post I wrote a few months ago helpful:

3 Likes

寿司を食べに行きませんか
Translates to wont you go eat sushi with me?
I am having trouble understanding 食べに
Is the ni a particle? If so how is eat a location?
If not then what is it?
bunpro seems to confuse me with some the grammar it gives me lol

2 Likes

Verb stem + に + motion verb = going (somewhere) for the purpose of (verbing)

So 食べに行く = go (somewhere) to eat

4 Likes

Hi there, I found this in the LingoDeer App and it confuses the heck out of me:

I am talking about the orange highlighted 散歩し which looks just wrong. (Please correct me!)
It looks to me, that the should actually be part of the します and not attached to the 散歩, since it’s a する-Verb… so it’s 散歩する → 散歩します

If this is indeed wrong, I will send this screenshot to LingoDeer and have them correct this. :sweat_smile:

A bit of help would be greatly appreciated. :heart_eyes:

Well, I don’t know how LingoDeer handles things usually, so if it goes against how they normally do things, then it could be considered internally wrong. But if you look at how grammar is taught in schools to Japanese chlidren, ます is actually an auxiliary verb that attaches to the end of other verbs. So in that framework, yes, 散歩する is one word that has been conjugated to 散歩し and ます is an auxiliary verb that attaches to it.

But again, that assumes they are trying to be consistent with that grammatical framework. There’s usually a difference between Japanese as it’s taught to natives and Japanese as it’s taught to non-natives.

Like… in the same vein, た is an auxiliary that attaches to things to make them past tense (and other meanings as well), so it’s a separate unit from the original word. So 散歩しました would be 3 units.

10 Likes

Ah, I see! This actually makes sense! :smiley:

So this is correct and their style of teaching just looks a tiny bit different from what I am used to – I can live with that!

Thanks for your quick reply! :relaxed:

3 Likes

「全員男せいです。」
“They are all males.”

What is せい doing here?

2 Likes

It’s the word 男性 with the 性 being written in hiragana.

5 Likes

Ahhh, okay, thanks.

1 Like

Hmm, the に still confuses me
What about 主に
means mainly but is it really the main location :thinking:
I might be looking too much into this hmm