Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Thanks a lot! All is clear now. I also found an explanation on Tofugu blog, under the “箇月(かげつ)” section.

Yeah and just remember that itll be pronounced as が and is used like a の.

3 Likes

It does appear now and then. It’s also used for countries, so a couple words derive from that.

2 ヶ国留学
3ヶ国関係
4ヶ国語
Etc.

Edit:

I knew I was forgetting something. It’s also used when counting places, 2ヶ所、3ヶ所、what’s rather common.

1 Like

Indeed, like place names. Like 茅ヶ崎, 由比ヶ浜, 関ヶ原, 霞ヶ関…

1 Like

What the difference between

会います

and

会います ?

The second is incorrect. 会う is an intransitive verb that takes に.

1 Like

This. Also possibly 姉と会います。

Aye.

The difference between 姉 and 姉 is that the latter implies greater reciprocality - に = you’re going somewhere to meet her, と = you’re meeting up somewhere together.

6 Likes

Is the following sentence correct? I’m trying out different grammar points from L5-L6 Genki.

あ!てつだってください!いそいでください!見て、見て!あそこで!車のまえしんだねこがいます!

Someone screaming for help probably won’t add ください, but there’s nothing grammatically wrong with that.

The で in あそこで seems wrong. If you meant it to be あそこで見て with the order reversed, then it’s wrong, because the person doing the looking isn’t in that location. It would be あそこを見て. But a screaming person might also just start a sentence and not finish it without any concern for grammar, I suppose.

Lastly, if someone has happened to come across a dead cat (meaning they didn’t see it die), then しんでいるねこ would be more natural. しぬ is an instantaneous verb. It describe the instant of changing from living to dead. しんでいる is the natural way to describe something that underwent that change and you don’t know when it died. Even if you do know when it died, if time has passed, しんでいる becomes more natural after a certain (fairly quick) amount of time. The same applies to something like a pen on the ground. If it’s just lying there and you see it, you’d say ペンがおちている, not ペンがおちた.

If you use these instantaneous verbs after the action and time has passed, it sounds like the change of state is no longer in effect… which for death is not good, haha. You’ve got a potential zombie cat on your hands (half joking, I don’t think anyone would actually think that, it’s just that it doesn’t sound right).

5 Likes

@Leebo you’re a wealth of information! Thank you so very much for these corrections.

LOL zombie cat xD

1 Like

So, the last sentence. Would it be: 車の前は死んでいるの猫がいます!

or would it be:
くるまのまえはしんでいるねこです!

It would be 死んでいる猫, no の in between.

In your case, where you want to tell someone the cat is there, います is how you would do it. I checked with a native speaker, even if the cat is dead you can say いる.

Also, I’d either say 車の前に or 車の前には

Before when you put no particle, it just sounded like casual particle omission, but if there’s no omission, having に is better.

The second sentence would be fine if it was in response to a question like 何の猫?or something

2 Likes

ありがとうございましたリイボさん!(リーボさん?どして?)

How about 𠃊㔾㔾阝口

5 Likes

Haha, okay :slight_smile: Thank you very much𠃊㔾㔾阝口san :smiley:

1 Like

It’s a stupid question, but how do you say Bye in Japanese? さよなら feels a bit too formal…

さようなら (or さよなら) is said quite often by students and teachers at school, for whatever reason, but yes, it’s quite rare outside of that setting.

If it’s not a work environment, some combination of では or じゃあ and また and the next time you’ll see them, and maybe ね or something is fine

では、またあした (not the most casual, but not super formal either)
じゃあね
またね
またあした
or popular among young girls (at least that’s how it appears to me) バイバイ

If it is a work environment, there are set phrases

The person leaving earlier than other people says
お先に失礼します

And the person staying beyond says
お疲れさまです
or some variation on that with different politeness levels

5 Likes

This came up on bunpro but I still really don’t understand it.
んです and のです
How does this really change the meaning?

1 Like

You mean the difference between them? ん is more casual.

If you mean how both are used, it’s basically used to give some kind of explanatory nuance.

2 Likes