Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Either would be grammatical. There can be slight nuance differences, but not really in the situation you described.

2 Likes

(これは)ここでいい intuitively sounds better. What confused me (and still does a chotto) is that isn’t “de” supposed to be for an action taking place there. And I don’t see an action? Oh, or is it implied from context "is it fine to sit here? Hmm, then it makes sense.

I’m curious about those, too. What are the differences in other contexts?

It intuitively sounds better because you’re used to sentences requiring clear subjects in English. English is low-context and works that way (everything has to be made explicit in the construction), while Japanese is high-context and doesn’t.

To me, not having the subject actually sounds a lot more natural. It’ll come with listening–you’ll get a sense for what can be dropped and what should be made explicit.

で doesn’t necessarily have to be for an action. It just indicates location. (Although, technically, even sitting or just existing are actions.)

Edit – Or, as in Leebo’s example below, sometimes just a preference (“I’ll go with…”/“I’m fine with…”), but you can worry about that later. That basically stems from the “by/through” usage.

1 Like

If someone asks if you wants coffee or something, コーヒーでいい sounds like you wanted something else but you’ll settle for coffee, while コーヒーがいい is just a straightforward affirmative. People might not take the first one badly, but they could.

3 Likes

The sad thing is that my native language isn’t as contextual as English. Or at least I think it isn’t. This is the first time I’m actually learning grammar for realz, in any language :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’ll come! Sounds like you’re already doing due diligence by seeking exposure.

Implying I wasn’t already watching テラスハウス even before even starting with Japanese :sweat_smile: nottomentionanime

1 Like

Saw no one got to this.

Both are grammatical, as confirmed by searching for native-written examples just now. I think for talking about personal preferences, though, the latter is more natural.

2 Likes

Me again :joy:

This is a test question from the grammar review book I’m using. The following sentences are extracted from the end of a letter Sara is writing to her mother.

夏休みは3週間だけですが、いろいろな計画を考えています。その前に試験があります。試験まで毎日いそがしいです。でも、その後は楽しい休みですから、[:grey_question:]。

Options for [:grey_question:] included がんばります (the correct answer) and がんばりましょう

My question is: could がんばりましょう also be used in this sentence/context, to indicate volition?
And if not, why not?

お願いします!

@Kyasurin My non-native first instinct there is that it’s odd because the content up to that point has been so clearly limited to discussing her own plans–and reporting them to the listener. So it’s not a context where a non-inclusive volitional really fits.

There are non-inclusive volitionals, of course, but I feel like they’re generally used toward groups and from higher speakers to lower listeners (a la, “There’s a test next week, so let’s do our best,” from a teacher to students–you could do the same thing in English), to the point that they’re almost imperatives, to oneself, or couched in other language like と思う or とする that changes the overall meaning.

Basically it just feels weird for Sara to suddenly bring in the volitional at that point when talking to her moms. Her moms isn’t taking no test. If Sara wanted to emphasize her own determination at that point, there are other ways to do that too.

1 Like

Late to the party, but your post deserves more love for this bit alone. :laughing:

I found this sentence: にんならできもう and I can’t manage to translate it.
Google translate tells me “You can do it” which could fit in the context, but I’m trying to break it down.
にんなら could mean “If there are people, then” and できもう could come from できる “To be able to”, but I don’t understand where the もう comes from. The おう ending is volitional, but why not できろう then? Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Give us the context (in Japanese) or a screenshot or picture or something~

1 Like

1 Like

It says これならできそう

7 Likes

It says-

Nevermind.

Fonts, right?

Ohhh, it’s suddenly clearer. Thanks a lot! I’m still struggling with reading weird fonts…

1 Like

I have another slight question, what does 見やすくあきがこない mean? Some spaces あき easy to read, but why こない? it doesn’t come? Thanks!

https://kotobank.jp/word/飽きが来る-194758

3 Likes

Here’s a (hopefully) simple one. I’m just starting out on learning some grammar, and I need to translate ‘She sent a letter to her grandmother’ into Japanese. I went with:

?彼女はおばあさんに手紙を送りました。

But the answer given is

彼女は彼女のおばあさんに手紙を送りました。

Which explicitly specifies that she sent her grandmother a letter. That’s obviously required in English (as ‘she sent grandmother a letter’ would indicate that it was a grandmother shared by me and the listener), but is it necessary in Japanese, since we already know that 彼女 is the topic of the sentence? ‘彼女は彼女の’ seems weirdly repetitive to me, but I guess it wouldn’t to a native speaker.