Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

More a short vocab question than short grammar question. I know うち can take on a meaning if “I/me,” or “we” (listener inclusive) depending on the context. I recently did this exercise in an N2 reading book though, and almost passed on the two right answers because I wasn’t sure if I should assume うち to be inclusive or not (the answers hinged on both speakers being members of the same club):

I wound up going with them just because nothing else seemed correct, but I really wasn’t sure if I should be reading character A as talking about “his school” or “our school,” and likewise for B and the club. Am I just supposed to have read it as “we” because they both use it for different things? (Even though it’s conceivable they’re friends going to different high schools in the area, walking along the same route, and even though one use of it as “we” doesn’t guarantee another?) Should I just always assume it’s used in the inclusive sense unless there’s strong indication otherwise?

It might help me understand what the confusion was if we could see the options you referred to.

Sure. Sorry.

1 and 4 are correct, but near as I can tell, they rely on reading うち as inclusive with certainty, which I didn’t have.

So, reading this, the うち definitely sounds like “our” club. As far as why…I can’t really say. I have just tried to develop an ear for it through quantity.

(OH, also, I think the みんな is a big clue here. The first sentence starts with a “everyone” so following from that, it is probably a rule that applies to all of them because they are all members.)

1 Like

I think the thing is that they’re juxtaposing two options, that they’re in the same club or that one is in the unnamed club and the other is in the art club. The fact that you can imagine a world in which one of them is in a 3rd unmentioned club, or no club at all, is kind of disregarded. If you imagine that then no choices are correct at all, and it’s a strange question.

2 Likes

I agree that it felt natural for it to have that meaning, but was looking for more of a hard rule or base assumption, since I’ve tended to be wary of making too many assumptions on reading questions (going only for what is definitely true). Of course in this case, as Leebo pointed out, there also weren’t any other options.

Oh well! I’ll just keep this in mind. Thanks to both of you!

1 Like

Haha, yeah. Sorry for having no rules…I am avoiding studying rules for grammar as long as I can. Studying grammar scares me. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I just want to quickly check in on something to make sure I’m not learning it wrong… I came across this sentence - ガイドラインは、市や町などからペットがいる人に渡すことにしています。- from this NHK Easy article - https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011679621000/k10011679621000.html.

In my understanding after some looking around, it translates to “It has been decided that the guideline will be distributed to people in cities and towns who have pets”. Is that から definition 4 from Jisho? Am I understanding the ことにしている correctly?

Thank you! :smiley:

EDIT: After looking in Genki II at ことにする, it says that “ことにしている means “do something as a regular practice””. So it changes the sentence to mean something like, “will be distributed (and will continue to be from here on out)”?

I think “it has been decided” was already correct. However, the から is rather meaning number 2 in jisho, the guidelines will be distributed by the cities, towns, etc. [local governments].

2 Likes

Ah! I see how it means “it has been decided”, and definition 2 definitely makes more sense! Thanks a bunch

1 Like

After looking in Genki II at ことにする, it says that “ことにしている means “do something as a regular practice”

That’s right. It’s not a one-time thing, it’s now a rule or a custom.

Also it’s kind of awkward to translate them this way into English, but keep in mind both 渡す and ことにする are in the active voice. Your translation obliterated the subjects by making them passive.

In other words, ことにする means to decide on something. “to be decided” is ことになる.

4 Likes

So I need some help with what looks like こと as a prefix to a noun, but I cant find anywhere that has an explanation as to what it means. Whats being said is pretty straightforward, but for context if needed: 真涼 (huge jojo fan) has to leave the country but MC-kun thinks she will return to the clubroom to pick up her jojo volumes she left there.

So yeah, whats that こと doing? Its not related to ことに or something and just abbreviated, is it? Thats all I can think of.

Maybe this:

異(こと) [Noun, Na-adjective, Noun - used as a prefix]

1. difference (from one another); different thing; other​ [Archaism]

I did see this actually, but it didnt really make sense to me. Unless I guess it meant sorta “things related to jojo, which is different from everything else, I can trust in”. With it being listed as an archaism, I was all the more doubtful since now it seems い is used as the reading and its just in kanji form.

Doesn’t the entry say “only applies to こと”, the one used as a prefix? Not that that confirms it, just that it’s consistent.

Yeah, it does. But I cant find anywhere to give me an example sentence so I can see how its used. If its like 異, it really wouldn’t make sense in the sentence to me.

Even weblio lists it as 古語

That looks like the こと written as 殊 from 殊に/殊更, so it’d mean “especially” which seems to fit the context well

1 Like

Yeah, ことに would make more sense, but I’m still kinda weirded out since ive never seen the に dropped before. I guess that’ll hold me over till something better comes along, if ever.

EDIT: Is indeed the こと from ことに (殊)

1 Like

Am I understanding it correctly that we can’t see the whole sentence?

Nope, everything is on there. Why? Where did you think something was missing.

1 Like