Short Grammar Questions

I thought they just meant in the context of ordering food? I totally agree it would sound weird replying to 元気ですか like that but I always used it when shopping or in restaurants if you didn’t need something, like a bag or another drink. And I picked that up from what Japanese speakers were saying.

Yeah, 結構です is a perfectly normal and polite way to turn down food.

なるほどね
I tried to get a little more context, but that guy deleted his post. :confused:

I got another one!

Here’s a line of dialogue where the speakers drunk, is anyone familiar with some of the little alterations they’re making here?

ズバリ、今回の敵の狙いッに決まってんだろッがよォ。これまでァ、他の候補者って連中たァ小競り合いも起こっちゃいなかったが

According to stackexchange
In 今回の敵の狙いッ, the ending ッ indicates the word is being cut off. Supposed to emphasize the word like an exclamation point.

I’m not sure at the ァ in これまでァ, I’m guessing it’s something similar?

Also with 連中た, why is there an extra た?

Would appreciate if someone could clear these up, I’m only used to reading newspapers and I totally don’t get Japanese slang.

Are both sentences grammatically correct with the same meaning?

どれの アメリカのビールですか。= Which American beer?

どの アメリカのビールですか。= Which American beer?

I don’t think どれの is correct.
There aren’t any sentences containing どれの on Jisho, and I couldn’t find anything on google with どれのビール or just どれの 文法
When connected to a noun, I think it always turns into どの
However, when どちら and どっち are connected, you just add の to the end :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought but どれの is the correct answer in a solution set I am working from :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

Nevermind! I found an explanation on Imabi
My bad :sweat_smile:

Genki I with Kanji! (Lesson 3, MIT OCW)

Ah thank you so much!! That website was very helpful. Leave it to MIT professors to come up with questions with obsure grammar points :sweat_smile:

(I am using their free online resources to study Genki)

私たちは犬も好きですが猫一番大好き
Or
私たちは犬も好きですが猫が一番大好き
Or
私たちは犬も好きですが猫は一番大好き

私たちは犬好きですが、猫が一番好きです
I think might be better - it seems strange to me to use も in the first part with no prior context. And if you use です for the end of the first sentence, you should use it at the end of the second sentence too.

I also wonder how it would sound to a native speaker to use “we” when talking about personal preferences?

But I’m not an expert; definitely take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think 猫 might be better because it’s contrasting how much you like dogs.

Also, if you are writing or using polite Japanese, dropping particles like the one dropped in the first sentence after 猫, is less appropriate than using them all.

If you’re speaking casual Japanese, dropping particles is a-okay.

Ah, there is some context. 皆さんは猫が好き is the sentence before this one. Sorry.
It’s also a casual conversation between friends.

Hey peeps. I feel like I’m going to have a series of questions pretty soon, but we’ll start with this one.

I wanted to know how to say “I’ll think about it” as in
“Will you buy me the Nintendo Switch?”
“Hmm…I’ll think about it.”

I found a few solutions.

• 考えてみるね。
  • もう少し考えてみます。
  • 考えておくよ。

The first I found here, and I found both the second and third here.

From what I can tell, all of these should mean the same thing. But I don’t really understand them after the 考えて part; I know that’s the te form of “To think about”. In the first one, I know the ね helps create a feeling of “I’ll probably do it”.

Would anyone be willing to bring some insight?

This is a common pattern that connects (and sometimes/often modifies the meaning of) verbs.

In the first two sentences, it is the same pattern: ~てみる (in the second sentence it is in polite form). This means “to try something (for the first time)”. So together it is something like “Let me try to think about it for a bit.”

In the third sentence, we have ~ておく which means “to do something in advance”. So this gives us something like “Let me first think about it.”

EDIT:
Here are some links if you want to know more:
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/try#To_try_something_out

I see. That makes a lot of sense, especially with the link!

So given the three sentences, would you say they all mean exactly “I’ll think about it”, or would there be nuances in them? I feel like the third expresses the phrase “I’ll think about it” as well as the nuances behind it the best.

Oh, I‘m far from knowing enough to properly answer this question!
(Also, I added two links, did you notice?) Just only the second one got this nice box…)

But my gut feeling would be that the third option is much firmer than the other two. ~ておく is often used to express preparation (e.g. „I need to buy beer in advance for the party.“)

I guess the first two might also be used as a very indirect refusal because ~てみる has a notion of „trying without knowing the outcome“ - so it feels more like „let me see whether I‘ll think about it“.

As I said, please don’t believe this until a more knowledgeable person confirms it :wink:

I know your question was answered by another user, but I wanted to add some additional information to help both your understanding of the grammar as well as anyone else that comes across this point in the thread.

According to you this would be the context:

And you presented three different answers

~てみる indeed means to try to do (something) @NicoleRauch mentioned that this grammar gives the nuance of trying for the first time. Although it can have this meaning, there’s a deeper meaning with ~てみる that often doesn’t get highlighted despite this grammar being well used. According to this website (see points 2-4), this grammar means to try to do something even though you don’t know how it will turn out or whether it’s the correct thing to do. Essentially it softens the action it’s attached to by making it sound reserved or the lesser extent.
So in essence, 考えてみるね almost sounds like a soft “no” because I think it almost sounds like not much effort will be put into the thinking.

The second sentence sounds like this wasn’t the first time this question was asked because of もう少し. The addition of もう少し implies that the action has already started and the person saying the statement will take additional time. This was referenced in this yahoo questions posting. The person asking wanted to know what was longer 少し and もう少し. Although I understand that it’s obliquely related based on the examples used on that site, but I think that meaning is applicable here too. In other words, もう少し考えてみる means “(I’ve said I’ll think about it, but) I’ll try to think about it a bit more”. I can’t tell you whether this is a stronger commitment than the first sentence, but it does contain the meaning of thinking about something a little longer. So if the original question was asked for the first time, the second response doesn’t sound really natural because it would probably imply that you had considered the listener’s question before they had even asked it.

Lastly, ~ておく was also correctly identified by NicoleRauch as to prepare something in advance but there are additional uses for this grammar as well. I’ve written about ておく before so I’m going to quote the part of the post that’s relevant.

According to this website , ~ておく has shades of meaning besides just doing something in preparation for something else. In fact it lists 4 different uses:

1. Preparations in advance (i.e., for something happening in the future, carry out relevant preparatory actions in advance)
  2. Dealing with things temporarily (i.e., as a current measure, tentatively act)
  3. Preserving a state (i.e., a continued state which is not tampered with and left alone)
  4. Retained result (i.e., to leave behind the results of actions done previously)

Since there’s no equivalent structure in English to express ~ておく, it’s often oversimplified and when used in different contexts (like in the case of the three other uses) it difficult to why it was used if one only knows about the first meaning. I agree with Nicole that the response that uses this grammar sounds more committal than the other two (like “I’ll think on it”) because the speaker intends on following through with the action, but that’s just my own personal opinion.

Hopefully that adds additional insight for you.

Studying some N2 grammar here and wondered when do I use に伴って or に伴い? Or are these two interchangeable?

I got some example sentences here and been trying to figure out the difference between them, if there really is:

入学する留学生数の変化に伴って、クラス数を変える必要がある。

メールが普及するに伴い、コミュニケーションの方法も変わってきた。