Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I think so too, but what would that mean in this sentence?

I read that as hes always grumbling to himself and if you listen in on it, he’s really just saying incomprehensible words/speech.

the いっていて is just saying hes always saying it, which sorta pairs with いつも in this case. Its in te form as if to say “and…” or something of that nature. 聞いていたら is 聞いている which I think is in the enduring state because you dont just hear it in an instant, but you sorta have to listen and then keep listening to try and hear what hes saying. If it were a single word, i think it would be 聞いたら, but since hes sorta going on and on, they make it 聞いている. I translated that as listening in on something because that sorta gives the idea of listening for a small period rather than just an instant.

3 Likes

kekkou desu comes to mind, but there may be a better one.

written as 結構です

2 Likes

You are so fast, haha. Yes, it was kekkou desu. I remembered as soon as I posted my question. Thanks so much and good night!

1 Like

I think it seems weird to me because in that interpretation the subjects of the two verbs are different. I didn’t know that て-form could work that way. But i think you are right. Thanks

1 Like

As in the person speaking and the person listening are different? Both the speaking and the listening are done to the ブツブツひとりごと

Do the constructions てからでないと and てからでなければ have the same semantic meaning? I’m going through 新完全マスターN3文法 and these two constructions are provided together in a lesson as `Until/unless ~ happens or is done, … cannot happen or be done either. Used in negating or negative statements.’

E.g. 「病気が治ってからでなければ激しい運動は無理だ。」Would the てからでなければ and てからでないと be interchangeable in phrases like these?

I would say, yes according to how the Japanese conditional is explained in this 日本語の森 video (The video starts right at the point where the nuance of these conditionals are being discussed). Besides, if there were a really noticeable difference, I think it would have been brought up in the discussion of the grammar in the 新完全マスター book.

1 Like

That’s about what I thought! I appreciate the input on it and the link. It can be a little frustrating sometimes how little the 新完全マスター books explain stuff, haha.

Hi guys! Just came across this sentence in one of my graded readers and although I get the main gist of the sentence/know all the vocab, I’m a bit stumped on this grammar:
お祭りが近いある秋の日のことです。

I guess something like “the day of the autumn festival was drawing nearer”? I’m awful with particles so the が is confusing me as well as the 近いある。

近い modifies ある秋の日 (a certain autumn day)
So it becomes “a certain close autumn day”

Note that this ある is not the verb 有る, but the prenoun adjectival

This sentence basically sets up the fact that the narrator is going to talk about the matsuri, which would happen on a certain autumn day in the near future.

As I read it, anyway.

2 Likes

Fab, thanks so much for the explanation Leebo! I’ve never come across that ある before so I’m going to do some reading up.

I came across that ある when I read The giving tree in Japanese. ある木 was used frequently.

Might have to pick up a copy! Make sure it’s thoroughly drummed in :wink:

From what I understand, this usually has a negative tone to it.

Like if someone asked 元気ですか? and you responded with 結構です, unless you were extra 元気, they would probably think you meant, “I’m dealing with some crap, but I have to respond in as positive as a manner as I can muster because that’s what social protocol dictates.”

Looking at the dictionary definitions, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it used as “splendid!” before. lol. I tried to use it that way once and was corrected to only use it as a kind of polite way to say “no” [edit] or as a way to mean “very”[/edit].

なっと食べる?
結構です lol

I thought they just meant in the context of ordering food? I totally agree it would sound weird replying to 元気ですか like that but I always used it when shopping or in restaurants if you didn’t need something, like a bag or another drink. And I picked that up from what Japanese speakers were saying.

Yeah, 結構です is a perfectly normal and polite way to turn down food.

3 Likes

なるほどね
I tried to get a little more context, but that guy deleted his post. :confused:

1 Like

I got another one!

Here’s a line of dialogue where the speakers drunk, is anyone familiar with some of the little alterations they’re making here?

ズバリ、今回の敵の狙いッに決まってんだろッがよォ。これまでァ、他の候補者って連中たァ小競り合いも起こっちゃいなかったが

According to stackexchange
In 今回の敵の狙いッ, the ending ッ indicates the word is being cut off. Supposed to emphasize the word like an exclamation point.

I’m not sure at the ァ in これまでァ, I’m guessing it’s something similar?

Also with 連中た, why is there an extra た?

Would appreciate if someone could clear these up, I’m only used to reading newspapers and I totally don’t get Japanese slang.

Are both sentences grammatically correct with the same meaning?

どれの アメリカのビールですか。= Which American beer?

どの アメリカのビールですか。= Which American beer?

1 Like