Short Grammar Questions

本当にためになる授業だった
It was such a beneficial lesson.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nani

Is this like an idiom or something? I have no idea how this means what it does…
Apparently ためになる means to be of benefit but lol wat

Would you understand it if it said 本当に役に立つ授業だった?

Because if you look up ためになる in a dictionary, 役に立つ is the definition.

https://kotobank.jp/word/為になる-563036

hqdefault

leebos the name, speed’s the game

I was going back and quizzing myself on old grammar material on Lingodeer, and this got marked as wrong and I’m not exactly sure why. I use this sentence pattern pretty often, it’s a simple one. Can I not put the words in this order when talking about a group of people or something? Just the question before this I wrote 椅子の下に猫がいます and it was marked correctly. What makes these two different? Thanks!

While it’s not wrong, per se, it is still weird. The children are the focus of this sentence, so it’s odd to leave it until nearly the end of the sentence to bring them up.

部屋の外に子供達がいます。
There are children outside the room.

子供達は部屋の外にいます。
The children are outside of the room.

That’s what each sentence sounds like to me.

Children in the second sentence are the children, whose existence you acknowledge. Maybe you know them personally. Even if you don’t know them, you at least know there are kids around there.

What it matters in this sentence is the particle は and が (rather than word order), I think…as if I switch the order and say 子供達が部屋の外にいます。, it still sounds natural and its meaning remains as “There are children outside the room.”

Thank you, this all makes sense and (as is the way of things) I’m not sure why I didn’t understand it before! You did a great job explaining it.

what%20is%20this%20character

Can someone please tell me what the first character is? I have never learnt it anywhere and not in my keyboard either. Such a funny character.

It’s 〆, read as しめ, and used as an abbreviation for 締め.

Thanks a lot :bouquet: ! I am so happy now it is finally solved !

Question - I have seen both “試して見る” AND “試す” as examples of how to say “to try”. What’s the difference? Especially curious because the first construction seems…redundant? Halp…

The meaning of 試す does already include the てみる idea of “try and see” within its definition, so you are correct that 試してみる is redundant.

But adding みる softens it and clarifies the speaker’s perspective on the attempt.

Can you clarify what you mean by “softens”? What does it mean that it “clarifies the speaker’s perspective on the attempt” Does it make me look very determined to try it, if I say it that way?

It makes you seem like you aren’t sure what is going to result from it, the same way that てみる implies when appended to other verbs.

When you go ask someone for help at the store, in English we would probably just say “Let’s go ask someone” but in Japanese you almost always hear 聞いてみる, because it shows that even if you ask you might not get the info you want. But that idea is already kind of implied by the idea of “ask” in the first place, so it’s slightly redundant, but it makes it clear that it’s a “try” and not a sure thing.

The Japanese tend to prefer things that sound less direct generally.

Hmmmm, so saying “試す” is like saying I will try it, while “試してみる” is more akin to saying I want to try it but who knows? And in addition the “てみる” version might sound better to 日本人?

Yeah, basically.

Like I said, 試す already does contain the てみる within it (if you look at definitions in Japanese, they actually say やってみて) but yeah, they have a tendency to soften things whenever they can.

But I think we’re talking about the difference between “soft” and “a bit softer”

As long as I don’t sound like the weirdo redundo 外人 I’m happy. And sounds like both work for my purposes. And you’ve clued me on some grammar nuances I didn’t understand before. Thank you :slight_smile:

Yotsubato Reading Help

Just realized … are you saying it’s better to use やってみて generally?

One last thought - after your feedback I think I could start seeing “てみる” as “I’ll see about”
As in, “I’ll see about trying that” might be an appropriate translation for “試してみる”

やってみて is just the dictionary definition of 試す. So it is not that one is better than the other.

So, say I’m in a restaurant. How do I order for other people at the table?

When I travelled to Japan last April, I went with a friend who basically had no head at all for Japanese, so I had to convey his order to waiters on his behalf. Generally I went with (gesture towards my friend) こちらは~~、(そして)私は~~ください or something like that, and I didn’t particularly notice any raised eyebrows or other quizzical looks, but is that the way to go about it?