Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Yeah, it’s just important to be wary of another usage of の.

べんごしのジョン not only does not mean “the lawyer of John,” it means “John the lawyer.” So, in the other usage, if you flip them you just end up with nonsense that the listener can probably guess what you meant, here you end up with something grammatical that means something entirely different if you flip them.

1 Like

That made me think something
How would you differ from

john’s lawyer is going to court
John the lawyer is going to court

How would you say those two things, would の be used in both cases or something else?

John’s lawyer would be ジョンのべんごし
John the lawyer is べんごしのジョン

2 Likes

ah okay, i was over thinking it lol
Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks for the hint, I thought it was kind of an easy question.

The grammar point is from Tobira, Chapter 1 (point 13).

Just repeating the point for easier reading.
The point is “~というのは” +

• Noun のことだ
  • Noun ということだ
  • Sentence ことだ
  • Sentence ということだ
  • Sentence といういみだ

The structure “~というのは~だ” is used to provide the meaning or definition of a word or phrase. "

There is for example the sentence “パサコン というのは、パーサナルコンピュータのことです”

My problem is, that there is no explanation for the point “ということ”. I was wondering if のこと and ということ are interchangable.
Could I say “パサコン というのは、パーサナルコンピュータということです”?

I asked a native speaker and he couldn’t tell me the difference, but he said he wouldn’t use the second versions (ということ) in this case. Further, he also said that it could probably still be used.

Hope my problem is a bit clearer now.

Hi, can someone explain to me what the “て” after “して” means in this sentence please:

留守番してね。

It’s て form of している with the い removed as is often done in casual speech.

する–>している–>してる–>してて

3 Likes

Here I am again wondering about the example sentences. This one is for 実践:

理論は実践に移してこそ意味があるのです。

Theory changed meaning in practice.

I suppose it means something like The theory is only meaningful as it is put in practice. Am I right?

I think you are right, I would translate it as (The thing is that) there is meaning only when theory is put into practice.

1 Like

Mind blowing, I was aware of してる but not of してて O_ô !

Thank you.

Yep, you can treat the いる as any other ichidan verb.

I started to play a game in Japanese and I’m already stuck at the title… I got the sentence: 開かれし封印, meaning the opened seal, I understand the passive form of 開く (開かれる), but where is the し coming from. Is it from する, like the seal is “made open”? But when why not use ひらかせられる? Thanks!

Could be completely off, since I assume it’s classical Japanese, but

Pretty sure it’s just a past tense. In modern Japanese it would be 開かれた. I don’t know much about classical Japanese, so I can’t explain why this is used for past tense here (it’s not the only one that appears in classical Japanese)

1 Like

Like “too” except placed differently…

That question was from more than a year ago, but I agree with the answer that was given to it at that time, that it gives a sense of light exclamation, not “also” or “too.”

Thanks Leebo.

It’s not a grammar question, but does anyone has an idea what the first character is (the second is 器) ? Untitled
Thanks a lot!

It’s 武器, weapon

3 Likes

One more question, anyone get this pattern I see where a sentence starts with ある?

あるバス運転手の勤務記録

Seems to work like これ, the bus that exists? Does it add some nuance to the sentence?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

It’s not the verb 有る

1 Like