Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

You can use the past and progressive tense for both ^^ the nuances are a tad different though based on the tense you’re using

Saying you’re hungry

お腹が空いた literally means “my stomach emptied”, which implies hunger, and since hunger and thirst are a state of condition, it’s more common to use the ~ている continuing state form to say you’ve been hungry. The nuances are that the state of being hungry has continued (お腹が空いている) whereas using the past form (お腹が空いた) implies you just got hungry

Saying you’re thirsty

Same goes for 喉が渇いた, it literally means “my throat dried”, thus implying thirst, and when used in the past tense it implies you just got thirsty, whereas the continuing state form (喉が渇いている) would imply you’ve been thirsty

2 Likes

Ohh I see, that makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up and for the quick reply! :relaxed:

1 Like

It’s from the Japanese localisation of Stardew Valley, so it’s possible it could be incorrect

:thinking: Would that のに be “although, in spite of”? and then it gets the double negative…?

まだ could maybe mean “although you are not friends yet, you still must not enter Alex’s room”. Implying you likely will become friends in the future but that’s no excuse to enter his room now?

I like that idea, it’s like “The following is forbidden: 「although you are not even friends yet, enter Alex’s bedroom.」”

The way it is written now doesn’t really suggest it, but then it gives the meaning you want.

Yeah it seemed confusing at first but it makes a lot more sense to be broken down that way, so in English it would translate to something like “To enter Alex’s room even though you’re not friends yet is not possible”, where the logic for something is being explained

Mhm, “although/even though”

1 Like

I just happened to be playing and recognized the line.

4 Likes

Woah, thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

The comma is very misleading there.

2 Likes

千和は表情をひきしめると、顔を上げて俺を見た。
千和は表情をひきしめて、顔を上げて俺を見た。

The first one was used, the second one is what I thought should be used.

Can someone explain why と was used rather than the te form?

@Leebo onegai ;w;

When と is used as a conditional, AとB means that B is a natural and unavoidable consequence of A taking place. If A happens, then B must happen.

Which I do know, but 顔を上げて俺を見た definitely doesnt seem like a direct consequence of 表情をひきしめる, hence the confusion.

Oh wait, I read those backwards. Thought the first one was what you’d written. Dunno, then.

Heck. Do you have a japanese girlfriend you can ask?

from: How Conditionals Work in Japanese: …と, …ば, …たら, and …なら

(from the section on と conditionals):
This has another function which is to express sequential actions in the past . When you compare the usages between と and the te-form (sequential actions), と is more suitable to describe other people than yourself while て can describe yourself. Note: these are not conditional.

魚を 買って 、寿司を(作った / 作りました)。
[I] bought fish and made Sushi.
魚を 買うと 、寿司を(作った / 作りました)。
=> Unnatural!
ボブは魚を 買って 、寿司を(作った / 作りました)。
=> Natural!
ボブは魚を 買うと 、寿司を(作った / 作りました)。
=> Natural!

4 Likes

Eyyy, that makes sense then. Thank you very much, oyotta! Now I’m curious why they decided to use the te form for 上げて in 顔を上げて俺を見た.

Who raised their face? I’m assuming the 1st half of the sentence was done by 千和 and the 2nd half by 俺 :thinking: 俺を見た meaning seeing myself?

1 Like

One of the uses of the て form is to express means or reason so i would translate the sentence as:
千和は stiffened/braced his expression and raised his face and looked at me.

with “raised his face” in the sense of: “with/by the raising of his face” saw me.

If you are interested, there is a good discussion in “History of the Japanese Language” (frellesvig …i think)that all the uses of と derive from its core use meaning “with”.

1 Like

I suppose I should rephrase. I’m curious now for the second part why they didn’t use と. Ik why te works, but now 俺を見た actually does seem like a direct consequence of 顔を上げるand furthermore, it’s a sequential action done by someone other than you in the past. First raising her head, second looking at me. So と seems viable as well.

I just know I’m missing something still because I can’t fully understand why they use と for the first one and て for the second.

No both are done by chiwa.

1 Like

Slightly different answer from here. This is from the book All About Particles section on と:

Indicates that a second action follows immediately upon the action preceding it; often used with sugu: “as soon as.”

So と and て both indicate a sequence but unlike て, と carries a sense of speed. I guess it’d be similar to, “As soon as X, Y” vs. “X and then Y” in English. They both convey that a series of events happened but the latter doesn’t have any information as to how quickly they occurred.

The sentence in the novel says that as soon as her expression changed, she raised her face and looked at him. It’s not like her expression changed and then three minutes later she decided to start doing that.

1 Like