Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Determining whether は is contrastive or topic marking is not really possible in isolation.

Also, you’re putting the proposed contrast on the wrong person. The wife isn’t marked with は.

1 Like

The sentence and its translation come directly from Weblio.

weblio

I’m still into very basic things of my grammar studies, so I’m not really familiar with using は in a contrastive manner yet. I became curious about the combination of particles used in this example sentence, but you’re saying that the translation doesn’t seem to match the sentence well?

The translation is fine, I didn’t comment on it. You wondered if the は means that the husband feels that way about his wife but not other people. In that case, the wife would be the one with the は. This one would be that the husband feels this way about his wife but maybe other people don’t feel that way about their wife (or maybe her specifically).

1 Like

Ah, check. ^^ Sorry for misunderstanding. That’s good to know.

Thank you very much for helping me learn!

I found this little sentence here:

I know what it means (not what they translated it to).

Although I know what they want to tell me. I don’t get the use of the te form here

トイレをきれいに使って頂きありがとうごやいます

#Edit

verb て form + くれてありがとう - thank you for doing ~ for me

ていただく is the same as てもらう, but humble

1 Like

You can replace it with にとっては too. In this case, には works like “for.”

私にとっては / 私には = For me/To me

http://forum.jisho.org/discussion/1360/the-particles-niha-には-together-what-does-it-mean/p1

2 Likes

混合物とは、2種類以上の純物質が混じりあっている物質である。

An amalgam is a mixture of two or more pure materials.

混合物 - Amalgam
とは- … means
2種類以上の純物質 - 2 or more types of pure materials
混じりあっている物質 mixed together materials

I get what they want to tell me but I don’t understand why the sentence is put together like that.

To be specific the last two parts
2種類以上の純物質 + が + 混じりあっている物質

I guess I have to read it different

混合物 - Amalgam
とは- … means
2種類以上の純物質が混じりあっている - 2 or more types of pure materials mixed together
with
物質 material

or

混合物 - Amalgam
とは- … means
物質 material
of
2種類以上の純物質が混じりあっている - 2 or more types of pure materials mixed together

Is my thinking right?

The basic sentence is 混合物とは物質である。 Unfortunately this is very unspecific, we must specify what 物質 we are talking about.

The whole phrase 2種類以上の純物質が混じりあっている modifies 物質 to explain what amalgam means.

1 Like

So its like chain explaination? :smile:

物質 explains 混合物
and 2種類以上の純物質が混じりあっている explains 物質

but is it a material of 2 mixed together pure materials
or a material which gets mixed together with two other pure materials

I would say AとはBだ means A=B, and B here is a phrase where the noun 物質 has a more concrete explanation in front, like an adjective.

Maybe: B explains A, and that whole 2種類以上の純物質が混じりあっている part adapts B so that the sentence makes sense :slight_smile:

Literally I think this captures it best:
“An amalgam is a substance that is mixed together from two or more pure substances.”

“Substance” is modified with the “that” clause.

Maybe you are confused by the word “mixture” in your original translation, I think it doesn’t really appear literally in the Japanese version. Still, it is a very good translation.

2 Likes

And another one

花火は火薬と金属の粉末を混ぜたものに火を付け、
燃焼時の火花を楽しむためのもの。

What does 楽しむためのも mean?
I guess enjoing but why the ため

Something for entertainment purposes. In other words, fireworks are something that is for the sake of entertainment.

楽しむもの could be someone who’s having fun or something that someone’s finding interesting or enjoyable, but 楽しむためのもの is specifically indicating that it’s made for the purpose of enjoyment, rather than the enjoyment being a potential by-product. For instance, someone could find looking at regular fire enjoyable but the fire might be for the purpose of cooking.

1 Like

This very sentence was discussed in a different thread because the OP had trouble understanding the syntax of Japanese.

Essentially it’s the syntax of Japanese that allow these monstrosities to be possible and for anyone used to English syntax, it can be a lot to process. But in essence, everything that modifies a word in Japanese come before the word it is directly modifying. As opposed to English where modifiers can vary depending on how long it is. (This concept is called head-directionality; for those who would like to know what this concept is called.)

So that is why this is possible:

And AとはBだ is an exception because it specific purpose is to define something, which is the reason why A doesn’t come last. But the sentence could be reordered to follow the pattern of modifying.

First to do so you need to understand that Aとは really means Aというのは.
So, “混合物というのは、2種類以上の純物質が混じりあっている物質である” can be crudely arranged like this: 2種類以上の純物質が混じりあっている物質は混合物という。–> “A substance that is mixed together from two or more pure substances is an amalgam.”

The differences in phrasing has a lot to do with what’s being asked, but the former is more palatable because of the word ordering.

1 Like

Where did you find that sign? As in, big city, small town, etc.?

google pictures :sweat_smile:

Another one:

今後もお客様との対話の窓口として、より充実していくべく努力してまいります。

今後も
In the future too

お客様との対話の窓口 Contact point for customer dialogue

として

より充実していくべく
try to ??? more

努力してまいります
going to endeavour

How does として fit here.

Couldより充実していくべく mean:
In an effort to replete more

I’ve tried googling and asking on HiNative to no avail (activity for answering Japanese questions really varies on there).

Does anyone know what the difference between ~た結果 and ~た末 is, however subtle? I can’t make out any appreciable difference on my own, but I feel like there probably is one in terms of formality or tone.

EDIT – I received one response saying they thought 末 could lead into other statements whereas 結果 was more explicitly limited to, as it would imply, direct results, but is there any difference in situations where either could be used? I’ve definitely seen example sentences use 末 in the “as a result of” sense, and that’s how my materials explained the construction as well.

Does anyone know what ///// is supposed to mean? I see often times in dialogue boxes and don’t know how to look up what it signifies.

Can you give an example? Is it a vertically-written ----, for example? As in, a super drawn-out vowel?

It’s not a part of a vowel I think. It feels more like a - in the middle of a word. Something like eleph- which would be elephant if the person was not interrupted partway into speaking. More of something to do with dialogue. The last time I saw it it was after the dialogue of a flustered character, so I thought that maybe it was something related to being flustered?