Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Yes, ~かける means “to begin to ~”

Definition 24

I stumbled on a sentence where there was a の before the verb : お店の出る所だ。
I translate this as “its where the stores/shop appear/are” but I have never seen the no particule just before the verb in plain form. So how should I handle it ?

の can (and commonly does) replace が as the subject marker in relative clauses. The meaning is more or less the same as お店が出る所だ

The usage of の instead of が to mark the subject indicates お店の出る is a relative clause modifying something else, and semantically ties お店 more strongly to 所.

In my experience の usually replaces が unless it would cause the meaning of the sentence to become unclear or change, for instance if there’s another noun between the subject and verb. e.g. 私が着物をあげた子 and 私の着物をあげた子 are different, because in the second example the の will be interpreted as the genitive.

3 Likes

Thanks I understand :slight_smile:
Sometimes japanese remind me of Latin without particle.

Can someone explain the difference (or lack of difference) between the usages of the following expressions?

第一 第二 第三 …

一つ目 二つ目 三つ目 …

一番目 二番目 三番目 …

Thanks!

I think 目 can be placed after any counter to change it from one (blank) to first (blank) and so on. So 一つ is “one thing”, whereas 一つ目 is “first thing”. This article explains that and I think touches on the 第一 part too.

http://maggiesensei.com/2015/11/24/japanese-ordinal-numbers-〜目-me-番目-banme-第-dai/

2 Likes

This was a question asked earlier in this thread. Be sure to search first as not to duplicate grammar questions others have made. @seanblue thanks for the link, I should have included one in my initial answer.

2 Likes

This is probably a silly question but… in the (の)ほうがいいです pattern, when is the の mandatory? From what I know that’s a verb nominalizer, but unless I’m mistaken (I probably am) it’s only used if the preceding word is a noun?

I can’t think of a situation where you would put の in front of ほうがいい and have it be a verb nominalizer. 方 is a noun, so verbs just attach right to it when you want to use them in that construction.

Alright, but is there a “hard” rule as to when the の should be there?

When the preceding word is a noun.

Well, I mean, as you said, when it’s just the genitive の that is used to attach nouns to nouns, you use it.

Any other part of speech that attaches to nouns in other ways attaches to 方 in the way it always would.

If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be in the dunce corner.

(Thanks)

Eh, it’s easy to overthink things sometimes, I suppose.

ESPECIALLY when you still lack the “natural feel” for the language. Like, right now I’m stressing out over which grammar constructions take the て form of a verb and which take the past た form. I seem to be mixing those up all the damn time.

3 Likes

Yeah, that guy on Youtube who does the Japanese conversation videos, Benjiro, talks about the difference between “learning” grammar and “acquiring” grammar. When you have acquired it, using it is natural, and you get that feeling of “something is wrong” if you hear incorrect grammar (including from yourself). Learning just means that you can probably answer a question on a test about it, or use it correctly in some cases, but not others.

I’m not a huge fan of his generally, for no particular reason, I just don’t want to watch most of the videos, but that part stuck with me.

3 Likes

Hi, need some help with this sentence especially the “ちゃう” at the end which I don’t understand the function ?

歯を磨かないで寝ちゃうの?

I know てしまう ==>ちゃう/ じゃう

it means that same ちゃう==てしまう:
are you going to bed without brushing your teeth?

Edit: I guess I am unsure weather てしまう would be read as implying the past tense in this situation (did you go to bed without brushing your teeth?)

1 Like

It’s still non-past tense. I think your translation is correct.

You can use “てしまう” to mean “to do something by accident”, “to finish completely” and “unfortunately” which does not make sense here ?