Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Oh, and I kind of ignored your grammar question for the sake of just making the whole thing more like what I imagine a Japanese person would say.

But [place]に勉強する is not grammatical. So, I’m not quite sure where that question came from, but I figured I’d just clarify that it’s not that there’s a nuance difference, you just can’t use that.

1 Like

That’s how I felt as well; it feels very strange having two がs that close together. The only thing that really gives me pause is that they also record native Japanese people saying these example sentences for listening practice and the local also uses the double が sentence. But I guess if someone points a camera at you and goes “Say this!” you probably just read it and move on with your life lol.

Well, thank you for your opinion! I think I’m just gonna kick that sentence out and I’ll re-add it to a different study deck so I don’t have to deal with the ambiguity.

Dearest Leebo, could you help me identify which grammar point this と is?

眠ねむらなければ意識いしきすると、眠ねむれなくなる。
Drawing attention to the fact that you have to sleep, thereupon becoming unable to sleep

My hunch says it’s the conditional と, but I find it odd they’d put two conditionals (ば and と) right next to each other.

It looks like the quotative particle to me, but the weird format of the sentence makes me think you copied it from something like Jisho, and that would immediately make me question if it’s natural or not.

1 Like

Indeed.

PIN Number…

1 Like

Ahhh thanks

I got it from Bunpro

I don’t understand what you’e asking but my bank pin is 1234

1 Like

What’s the difference between ゴミを出す and ゴミに出す?

ゴミを出す is “take out the trash”

ゴミに出す is “put in the trash” with whatever is being put into it omitted

I don’t think there’s anything beyond how the particles normally work.

1 Like

That wouldn’t be ゴミに入れる?

So the full sentence is “そのダンボールゴミに出す分ですか” spoken to a person holding a piece of cardboard. I guess it makes a bit more sense now.

I’m such a bum. I didn’t even Google the complete sentence before posting.

For those interested the sentence is explained here: grammar - Why use 分 in this question? - Japanese Language Stack Exchange

There’s more than one way to say various things?

EDIT: The answer was more about the way the particles interact with the indirect/direct object. Depending on context, a more literal translation might be “put out in the trash”. But I wouldn’t say that it can’t mean “put in the garbage”.

Obviously there is more than one way to say things? I was just confused that the verb to take out was being used to indicate something being put in when there’s already a verb for that, but it sounds like you’re saying it means more like “take (this) out to the trash”, which actually does have a slightly different meaning than “put (this) into the trash”, so thank you for editing to clarify.

That makes sense to me. So thinking of an example, where a mother has prepared a bento for her child for school.
When handing the bento to the child, the mother might say 弁当を作ってある, focusing on the fact that the bento has been made (the resultant state). (Perhaps it’s unusual for the mother to prepare a bento, so it’s worth stating.)
At school, if another student asked the child about the bento, perhaps the child would say 母が作っておいた, focusing on the fact that the mother made the bento (the action).
Do both of those cases sound reasonable?

I think both these sentences would sound weird in this situation.
if a mom said お弁当を作ってある。its like shes saying there is a bento sitting on the table… i didnt make it… WHO MADE THIS… DID SOMEONE BREAK IN THE HOUSE!!! AHHHH

I would say you use てある when describing a situation and you dont know exactly who caused it. like 本に書いてある・電気がついてある its written in the book (by someone). the lights are on(someone turned them on). Another point being I dont think you’d usually use を with it.

In the mother informing child she made bento i think it would be more natural for her to say
お弁当を作ってあげた。or, at this time 作っておいた also seems okay to me.

then at school, I guess 作っておいた is okay, but I again think itd be more natural for them to say お母さんが作ってくれた

3 Likes

I’ll take your word for it. I definitely need to see more examples of てある being used.

Ah yes, that does sound more natural.

2 Likes

I haven’t studied specifically for like 4 or 5 years when i was studying Genki in college, and was just speaking from what i feel like how the grammar has been used around me. Have you read the maggie sensei article for てある? I just read it and I have some mistakes. you have to use transitive, so 電気がつけてある is correct. Also according to the article, the mom could say お弁当が作ってある。but instead of like, I made you a bento, its i or someone made a bento so now it exist, and you can take it if you want/ dont need to make a bento cause its existing now.

http://maggiesensei.com/2014/09/04/how-to-use-〜てある-te-aru/

I have read it, but I need to a few more times to get it to stick better.

If I want to say “I’m watching X show on Netflix” do I say ネットフリックスでxを見ています? (I’m asking about the particle で more than anything)