Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I looked it up in the Wisdom dict, there 破る has four uses.

1. tear, rip, break

• break the door open
  • tear [rip] the letter open
  • tear [rip] a coat
  • tear letter apart
  • tear a page out

2. break, disturb, spoil

• break the silence
  • spoil [disturb] the harmony

3. break

• break [beat] the world record
  • break out of prison

4. break, violate, ignore

• break [violate] the rule
  • break a promise
  • ignore [break with] tradition

破く is only listed as tear without examples, and cross-referenced to 破る and 裂く.

1 Like

I found a sentence that started off with this:
「どんなだろうなって、」
What’s trying to be said here? I’m assuming the breakdown is donna darou natte (< naru), so is it like… “what sort of thing maybe happen”? I can’t decipher it at all.

どんなだろうな + って seems more likely to me

って being a very flexible particle with many many possible interpretations

1 Like

Ah, I was unaware of that って business.

Still, though, what would something like どんなだろうな imply?

どんな what kind of (something)
だろう I wonder
な hmm

Is roughly what they would mean

I’m looking up lessons on lingodeer and I’ve come across something that intrigues me. Why is の中 not present in the second sentence but is in the first and third ones? Does this mean you don’t have to say it if the context is clear enough?

リンゴは冷蔵庫の中にあります。

リンゴは冷蔵庫にありません。

田中さんのハンカチはかばんの中にありません。

You could think about it like in vs inside
They mean basically the same thing and can be interchangeable for the most part but sometimes they can have a difference in nuance, making one more appropiate than the other one.

リンゴは冷蔵庫の中にあります。 The apple is inside the fridge.
リンゴは冷蔵庫にありません。There are no apples in the fridge.

Right, that makes sense. I guess I got confused because lingodeer uses “in” everytime in their translation, but that clears it up. Thank you!

I’m kind confused by the meaning of some sentences.

食糧不足により、2万人以上が生存すら脅かされている。

From the food shortage, over 20,000 people are( threatened by just survival.)

現代社会では、心のふれあいが求められている。

In modern society, (the connection between hearts) is wanted.

初めての海外生活では、習慣の違いに戸惑いを覚えることも多い。

During your first time living abroad, there are many times you (learn from being perplexed by cultural differences. )

I put the guesses in ( ).

“Even the survival (existence) of over 20,000 people are threatened (endangered) by the food shortage.”

Because the verb is passive, I’m pretty sure により is indicating the agent. I’d personally prefer to say “the very existence,” but reflexive terms are quite differently used in Japanese, so the translation would be less literal that way. I personally prefer other translations for おびやかす to differentiate it from おどかす, but it doesn’t really matter in the context of this sentence.

Can’t for the life of me think of an English word that directly matches 心のふれあい, but I think any phrases along the lines of “connection between hearts” is fine.

“In modern society, heart-to-heart connections are wanted (sought).”

戸惑いを覚える is a phrase along the lines of “to feel lost” psychologically.

“During your first time living abroad, you will often feel lost in differences of customs.”

1 Like

Not really a grammar question but why does the following:
君といたい
translates as:
I want stay with you?

君=you
と=with
いる=to stay
いたい means “want to いる” aka want to stay

result= (with you)(want to stay) aka “I want to stay with you”

1 Like

I’m so dumb, lol. I got confused and for some reason I completely forgot that you add “tai” to show desire. The only thing I could see was “itai” as in “ouch” and my brain started smoking thinking it was some kind of dialect or idiom or that the gods themselves created it to trick me. Thanks!

1 Like

My friend and I are confused about this example sentence that WaniKani provides for the word 売る (To Sell)

この村では、人々は大麦を売って生けいを立てています。

This sentence apparently means “In this village, people make a living by selling barley.”
So we could translate it up to this point: “In this particular village, in contrast to all other villages, people sell barley…”. We don’t understand the “生けいを立てています” part though; I assume it’s the “to make a living” part, but…how? Has 生 been conjugated in some way? Doesn’t 立てています mean to stand something up/to erect? What does it have to do with anything?

I think “in contrast to all other villages” is kinda overdoing the translation a little bit.

生けい is 生計 but written without the second kanji to make it easier to read.
立つ means to stand, but remember that words don’t always use 100% literal meanings. Just like in English, to “stand something up” can have a figurative meaning. In this case, it means that they’re able to support themselves, or “erect a livelihood” if you will. (Obviously that sounds weird in English)
I believe 立てています is from 立てる (the potential form, which means “to be able to stand”), then put into progressive tense, and finally into the ます polite form. So in other words, they are able to keep supporting themselves by selling barely.

1 Like

生けい is the noun 生計 which means livelihood. It doesn’t have anything to do with the verb 生きる besides sharing a kanji. They left the 計 in hiragana so it would be easier to read since they’re assuming you won’t know that character yet.

生計を立てる is an idiomatic expression which means to make a living. 立てる can mean to physically stand something up but it has a lot of other idiomatic uses and meanings based on metaphorically “standing” something up or “establishing” something. In this case the meaning is probably closer to “establish” or “make.” In English we would use “make” as in “make a living” but if you think about it it doesn’t make sense either since you can’t literally make the abstract concept of “living.”

4 Likes

I believe 立てています is from 立てる (the potential form, which means “to be able to stand”), then put into progressive tense

It’s the transitive verb 立てる

It’s the transitive verb 立てる

Whoops, that makes more sense.

@phyro @rhet

Thank you! Your explanations make a lot of sense, especially where the 立てる is concerned. I guess this is the kind of thing that’ll be easier to understand after working on the language for some time.

I have a question about the たい form usage with intransitive verbs.

Would you ever hear something like 行きたい映画館は。。。
“The movie theater I want to go to…”

I ask because I know you can do this with transitive verbs like 食べる, since 食べたい describes what wants to be eaten, not necessarily who wants to do the eating.