Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

ねえ、にいちゃん 早くお家に帰ってばあちゃんに会っておいでよ

会っておいでよ
What does this mean?

Are you sure? おいで on it’s own means “come”, but here there’s already the 帰る in the sentence, so feels repetitive to say “hey brother, come back home quickly and come and meet grandma”

I interpreted this more as friendlier and less “order-like” alternate of 会ってよ. Or maybe an alternate to 会ってあげて which would be more like “do her a favor and meet her”?

Hmmmm interesting. I’ll ask my Japanese friend and report back on what they think it means.

@zdennis

The answer is: Verb て-Form + おいでよ is a way to give a strong recommendation.

Other common verbs this comes with are things like 食べておいで、行っておいで、来ておいて etc.

2 Likes

After doing some digging around here’s what I found about this grammar:

~おいで seems to be used like an order from a social superior to a person of lower status according to this source. However due to the context the meaning can vary according to this page

However since I’m not 100% familiar with this grammar, I’m not entire sure about the links, but I hope it puts some context on this topic.

Hmmm that’s interesting, but there must be tons of nuance because in the example sentence it’s the little sister telling her older brother to あっておいで so not a higher social standing. 日本語は複雑だね…

EDIT: I assumed the younger sibling’s gender. How rude of me. Could be younger brother too.

It’s not in my “Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns” which is the only reference book I have at hand at the moment, but that sounds reasonable.

I’m not sure either, especially since I’m not sure where the OP got the sentence from to begin with. One thing is for sure languages aren’t a science.

Well your assumption is right

Uh… stupid one here, but can we conjugate idioms? For example:
子供の時に 頭がよかった けど今はバカだよ。

Yeah, of course, they can be used like any other word of a particular part of speech.

1 Like

月日がたつのは 早いや ~ね~

What does the や with the adjective 早い?

Pretty sure that’s the Kansai dialect of だ.

That wouldn’t be grammatical though. My girlfriend wasn’t really sure what it was going for.

Here is the whole thing:
おっ、リンク今日は誕生日なんだって?
おめでと~さん!もうそんな歳になったのかい?
月日がたつのは 早いや~ね~
畑だって、ついこの間 草刈りしたと思ったのにもう こんなになっちゃって・・・・さっ

By the way what is the meaning of さっ in the last sentence?

リンクもしてみないかい?
たまにいろんなモノが落ちてて
楽し~よ~だ!
だけど、道具がなきゃ 刈れないや~ね~

たまにいろんなモノが落ちてて

What does 落ちてて mean?

落ちてて is an abbreviated form of 落ちていて, which is the て-form of 落ちている. ~ている expresses a state in certain instances. In this case it means “to be dropped”. So the sentence should read, “Sometimes various things are dropped…”

2 Likes

Thank you for going out of your way to translate this for me. I appreciate it.
Here’s the song if you’re interested!

Hi! I came across 破く, (to tear; to rip) and wondered how it differs from 破る. WK says that 破る is ‘to tear’ (while displaying ‘to rip’ and ‘to break’ as alternatives). Going by the examples from jisho, I initially thought 破る is predominantly used for things like breaking a promise, word or the law, but japandict uses 破る in an example sentence to display the action of tearing something (a letter) open. Are 破くand 破る interchangeable in the case of ‘to tear’ then?

Currently tackling Genki’s 敬語 Chapter and would like to double check something.

How do I make this Honorific?
外国に行ったことがありますか。

行く becomes いらっしゃる but if it’s past tense, is it then いらっしゃった?
外国にいらっしゃったことがありますか。

Edit: Yes it is

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend using Jisho for example sentences. It’s totally fine to use 破る for the normal act of tearing.

And yes, 破く only has the meaning of tearing a thin, physical object, if you check a monolingual dictionary. My general impression is that it’s not all that common of a word.

1 Like