Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Aye. To cover one bit you were confused on, you broke イリノイ大学の大学院 at the wrong place. If you’re confused about long clauses, break it up at the particles. It’s イリノイ大学 - の - 大学院. The graduate school of Illinois University.

In 四年前に大学に来ました, the particle に marks the destination of motion - the subject doing the motion is the guy who was the topic of the sentence from the beginning. So it’s not “the university came” but rather “he came to the university”.

No, 大川 is basically always Ookawa. Ogawa is 小川.

1 Like

I was just parroting jmnedict :slight_smile:

Huh, I see. I don’t think those other readings are particularly common, though - it’s pretty safe to assume おおかわ.

I don’t know that much about the educational system in America which is why I didn’t understand this part.

I’m having a real stupid moment here, but “language exchange 過去にやったいたんだね”

What is やったいた?Is that just a typo of やっていた, or is it some kind of contraction I’m just totally missing?

I would be inclined to agree that it’s a typo.

In particular it’s easy to make that typo on the “flick” style input of phones, when you don’t flick far enough, increasing the likelihood to me.

EDIT: confirmed with native speaker

I got an answer from another native around the same time, so yea. That’s what I thought at first and then completely second guessed myself.

Hi guys I don’t really know what this grammar structure is, can anyone explain? It’s the sentence for the vocab 禁止.

宇宙服を脱ぎっぱなしにするんじゃない!禁止事項の一つだろうが!

Don’t take off your spacesuit! It’s one of the things that’s prohibited.

The translation is kind of loose. With that grammar point, 脱ぐ becomes 脱ぎっぱなし, or “leaving something (your spacesuit in this case) taken off / removed”

1 Like

On a related note to this grammar, I’m leaving this video* from Nihongo no Mori for anyone who might wonder how っぱなし and まま differ due to how they can overlap in usage.

*(The explanation is done in Japanese. Great for those who’d like to hone both their listening as well as learn something new).

2 Likes

Thank you Leebo and Lucas! Yeah the translation was a bit loose, so I couldn’t tell what the point of that grammar structure was. Anyway, the resources you’ve both linked are very good. Thank you very much.

Anyone know how to parse Kansai-ben? My guess is the bolded part is Kansai-ben, due to the other parts that also have Kansai-ben that I recognize.

せいぜい140時間あるかないかの授業の中で身に付けなあかんことはいっぱいあるんやから、損せんせように1時間1時間の授業に集中して頑張らなあかんなぁ…

Wouldn’t the せん be しない and then I think the せ looks like a typo. I also asked a Japanese coworker and they said that was what they thought as well.

Yeah, I was slightly leaning towards that. I thought I could read Kansai-ben, but this one is eluding me.

It’s printed like this in a newsletter-ish thing my school’s principal writes, so one would think it’d be checked carefully, but I guess it’s not impossible for it to be a typo.

One would think. The 2nd edition of the English translation of Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind has at least three typos that the 1st edition didn’t have. That I’ve noticed.

Well, I can always ask my girlfriend later as well. Thanks.

There’s this song I like a lot, but I can’t make a lot of sense as to what it says.
Here are the lyrics:

朝目が覚め僕は 向こうから聞こえるあの声きいて
ある日そして僕は 佇む君と一緒に歩いてく

What I’m able to make out is
"I open my eyes in the morning, I hear a voice from over there.
??? Mystery I haven’t studied enough to understand ??? Walking together?

As you can see, I’m pretty lost. Help?

That (over there) day as well

I

Halted you. The 佇む means “halt”. That phrase modifies “君” (you). Therefore “halted you”. The と means “with”.

Together walk

Altogether:

Also on that day, I and the halted you walk together.

1 Like

Just got a chance to talk to my Kansai girlfriend about 損せんせように

She said that しない is changed to せへん in Kansai-ben and that せんせ is an even further change from that.

So, not a typo, just extreme Kansai-ification.

She’s not sure if it’s an all-Kansai thing or even more regional within Kansai, though she did say that different areas of Kansai would say しへん instead of せへん for the initial change.