Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Thanks, this really helps. I didn’t realize that depending on the verb, particles other than に could be used, so the article enlightened me. :face_with_monocle:

@tel003a Thanks for the answer! Even though, as Leebo noticed, it wasn’t the problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

my friend ask me for help translating a line from a utada hikaru song.

あと一歩が踏み出せないせいでじれったいのなんのって

I am not 100 percent sure on the のなんの part

~のなんの(って ) is a grammar pattern that means “extremely” when attached to a verb in its casual form or to an adjective (here it’s being attached to the adjective じれったい)

So they’re emphasizing that they’re very frustrated that they can’t take another step forward :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: If you’re interested, you can read about the grammar pattern here along with some example sentences

1 Like

ooh, thanks for the info! this is something i can’t recall encountering in my reading yet, so i feel like having some context for when i do run into it will be really helpful.

1 Like

You’re so welcome :durtle_love:

com-gif-maker%20(1)

5 Likes

In this sentence, how is the か being used?

“経済産業省はキャッシュレスを多くするためにどうしたらいい、これからいろいろな会社と相談することにしています。”

I should totally know this one

Here’s the full article link:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011396841000/k10011396841000.html

I would say it is the particle for an embedded question, like か(どうか). Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar says it’s a “a marker for an embedded yes/no question”, but also mentions that (か without どうか!) a WH-question (where, what, …) is also possible.

Examples are
レストランで何を食べたか覚えていますか。 (Do you remember what you ate at the restaurant?)
その時だれと一緒にいたか覚えていますか。 (Do you remember who you were with at that time?)

I think that question is presented as the topic of the discussions with the companies.

3 Likes

Hi,

I need some help with this sentences:

1. 宝くじにあったら、アムネスティにお金を送ります

what verbe is “あったら” ?

2.彼女は実によくしゃべる

I don’t understand what “よく” means here ? this damned word !

あったら is the たら conditional form of ある.

This よく would probably be something like “really”. It doesn’t sound like a good thing. That sentence is kind of a mild way to say someone talks too much. I suppose it’s technically ambiguous, but that’s what I’d take it to mean.

So I can use “ある” to mean I “win” something ?

よく is used to say so much things…

That would be あたる, so あたったら. Was this a typo maybe?

Thanks you and yes best typo ever x)

Could someone give me an example of how ひょっとして should be used in a sentence? I have heard it quite a bit in films and such but don’t really understand. I think it’s like you’re unsure of something? 皆さんありがとう!^ー^

Edit:The Weblio translation includes ‘mayhap’ and ‘peradventure’ :laughing: … sitll no further forward though https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/ひょっとすると

1 Like

It means “by chance”. It’s often used to indicate doubt before a question. An example would be something like:

ひょっとして泳げない?
By chance, can you not swim?

ひょっとしてそれを食べない?
By chance, are you not eating that?

2 Likes

Ah right, thanks!

なるほど!Thanks very much :slight_smile: seems like a useful expression to know.

なんて硬いベーコンなんだと思ってたら、夢を見ながらスマートフォンを噛んでたみたいなのよね。どうりて硬いはずだわさ。

Why is is どうりて in the last sentence rather than どうりで? Typo, or am I missing something?

It’s a typo, it should be 「どうりで」^^

Hi, can someone explain to me what exactly is the “も” in this sentence ?

-この公園で遊んでもいいみたい

It seems it is okay to play in this park.

てもいい/でもいい is a grammar pattern that means something is okay/alright

One of the ways the pattern can be formed is by putting a verb into its て-form and then adding もいい, and the て-form of 遊ぶ is 遊んで

• 遊んで + もいい —> 遊んでもいい

So the も is a part of this pattern ^^

1 Like