Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I wasn’t (still am not) entirely sure what was confusing, but I’m glad you are satisfied.

2 Likes

I think it’s the fact that an I-adjective (美しい) was between the modyfing verb phrase (湖の水面に映る) and the actually modified noun (山).

Ah, I took “makes sense” in the question to be about the meaning of 映る.

A very dumb newbie question here about negative form of です。 In different places i see the same thing written in two different ways but can’t figure out why… can someone explain the difference between the following?

猫ではありません

and

猫じゃありません

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

じゃ is a contraction of では that is a spoken form, though it does get written that way sometimes. But if you’re writing something serious or formal, it’s best to avoid じゃ.

3 Likes

Ah, they mean the same thing. ではありません is just more formal and common in speaking.

EDIT: classic leebo.

2 Likes

thankyou @leebo and @Vanilla , that was quick!

Not quick enough T_T

2 Likes

I was reading an article which had the headline:

“春に体や心の調子がよくないと感じる人が60%いた”

Would i be right in saying that “よくないと感じる” just means “to feel bad about”, so the whole sentence is “60% of people feel bad about their bodies and hearts during the spring”? Or does 心 refer to something else here?

1 Like

Because of the quoting と particle here, 「と感じる」 would be referring to「 体や心の調子がよくない」to describe what the people were feeling

心 can also refer to the mind, so in the context of the headline I think it would take on the meaning of “the condition/state of health of body and mind

So altogether something like → “60% of people felt that their physical and mental health were not good in the spring”

^^

2 Likes

Oh right that makes sense, thanks!

1 Like

com-resize%20(5)

2 Likes

That dog is reading NHK easy news. Thought we wouldn’t notice, but we did.

3 Likes

Okay so in the phrase ”雪が降っていつもより遅くなりました”, what exactly is going on? I get it’s saying "it snowed later than usual, but I can’t make sense of how the two parts connect:

”雪が降っていつもより” - It snowed more than usual
”遅くなりました” - It became late

Is it just a matter of where you’re breaking it in half?

雪が降って It snowed.
いつもより遅くなりました It was later than usual.

Remember that the て form is like gluing two sentences together, at least in this case.

2 Likes

Yeah, to add to what Leebo said, the いつもより here is indicating that the snow came later, not that it snowed more than usual. (I’m on mobile, or I would quote and point things out more)

1 Like

Japanese modifies from left to right (like a huge bunch of modifiers for the verb at the end), so いつもより goes right as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

ohhhh I’m an idiot! I see it now, thanks!

I checked that, but I think I just looked at it wrong, thanks!

It’s always gotta be the basics that I forget, thanks!

1 Like

Just to be clear, the meaning of the sentence is “It snowed, so I was later than usual.” The て form is being used here to indicate a reason / cause. It snowed, therefore the speaker arrived somewhere later than they usually do.

1 Like

I was going to say that I felt it was ambiguous, but assumed that he got the translation from something reliable. It’s not clear to me that it couldn’t mean what he mentioned. I made an effort not to assume too much in what I translated, just the literal meaning of the two halves, which covers either meaning.

1 Like