Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I don’t really know what’s going on with who is the boy/girl in the question/answer, but this is how I see it.

A: What do you think of me (私の事 not heard in the song)?
B: What do I think of you (君の事 heard in the song, referring to 私の事 above)? I don’t particularly hate you.

When I say (what I said), wait are you crying?

People don’t always finish their thoughts.

I wouldn’t necessarily assume that the end of a line of a song is the end of a sentence anyway. I kind of hate questions about song lyrics because the answer is often “it’s a song, they can do whatever they want” but yeah.

3 Likes

Yeah, songs make a lot of use of the te form when you wouldnt think to use it, but tara is also one of the bigger ones too.

Ive heard quite a few songs that have lines ending with tara, but never really give the rest of the thought.

2 Likes

Now I get them, thanks!

たら could still be “if” in plenty of those.

Do you suppose there’s a place on the Japanese internet where people are going, “Why does “I ain’t no Hollaback girl” mean?”"

1 Like

Speaking of which, I’d like to know what that means. :thinking:
But you would have to start with how “I ain’t” is actually wrong and should be “I’m not” but how it’s used sometimes in colloquial language or stuff like that.

1 Like

And how double negatives mean a positive, except when they don’t.

Ain’t nothing wrong with “ain’t”. I mean, aside from how I just used it to replace “there’s”. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s only over-zealous grammartists who have the masses thinking it’s a bad thing, just like split infinitives and ending with a preposition.

It’s “ain’t” because “amn’t” is really hard to say.

1 Like

Like, literally every English teacher I’ve ever met! It’s one of those things they try to drill into you right from the start. XD

Being an over-zealous grammartist is a prerequiste for an English teaching degree. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Indeed. It’s almost like they care about their subject… :thinking:

1 Like

Where exactly do I find the list of “words that aren’t acceptable for reasons” list? And what God-of-English made it? Also, which version of English does it use? Cause I want to be sure I’m speaking the correct English.

Also I hate people who don’t use the following properly: cleave and dust (autoantomys don’t real), holp (helped is an abomination), doctress (the decline of the -ress suffix can not be abided), awful (to mean bad, awe + full is the only proper way to use it), wherefore (to mean “where”)

Not to mention ending sentences with a preposition, because English, as we all know, is a Latin language and therefore should follow the rules of Latin.

Also any French based word because speak Anglish like a real person.

2 Likes

Caring about the subject is “zealous”. This is “over-zealous”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank God someone understands.

I also forgot about the ſ, people who don’t use the long s are literally Hitler, who also didn’t use it.

I mean, why not? If S.T. Coleridge thought it was a good idea, I think it’s a good idea.

Edit: Jesus Christ I almost typed S. T. Coleridge! How silly of me.

Because he was a bipolar opium addict. A thing I didn’t even make up.

He was many other things as well. Mostly bad. Still, he did a cool ‘s’

Fun fact: when I was a kid my brother and I both used to say amn’t as a contraction of am not, and I was really upset to learn that it wasn’t a real word.
It’s not actually that hard to say! I pronounced it “amint”

A preposition is a terrible thing to end a sentence with.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t know if contractions count as “real words”, but it’s actually in the dictionary right here as this is common in Scottish and Irish dialects.