Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I thought you were a 60 when I joined this site. Am I just imagining things?

I was.

I tried using good ol’ ctrl+F to see if my question had already been answered, but I didn’t find anything, so forgive me if this has already been asked before.

When you see a sentence like 「これを忘れない」( I mean specifically in the case of requests), is that just the lazy version of 「忘れないでください」, or is there some underlying meaning or connotation here?

Thanks for helping me out!

I’m not sure what makes it “lazy”. It’s just without the politeness that ください entails. It’s not like if you don’t say ください, the person automatically imagines you included ください in their head to make it grammatical. It’s just blunt or non-polite, if not outright rude, depending on the context.

Generally if you want to keep things casual in your requests, you want to throw a ね on the end of something. Like 頑張ってね. Though, obviously, something encouraging like that is less likely to be seen as rude in the first place, but I think you get what I mean.

3 Likes

Sounds like:

to me. I don’t have the scene’s context but from that sentence alone I’d translate it as like “Why don’t we hear it from you [the father] too please?”

The も here is the normal “also” sense of the particle, so から+も is “from you too.” V て やる has some nuance here but as far as translating the sentence goes, you can just consider it as the speaker giving him some attitude. It’s not a polite request but more like an exasperated attempt to get some backup from him.

1 Like

Can you post the context? Just a photo of the manga page is fine. From that sentence alone I would interpret it as someone telling the father to tell a third person something. I’m imagining a situation where like, a mother is admonishing a son and she turns to the father for back-up and says “You tell him too.”

Stuck on page 2… :confused:
I thought the mother said something to the child instead of to the father.

Looks like the people above were on the right track. Mother is asking father to chime in and back her up.

燃えてる is a contracted form of 燃えている, here used to describe an action/state that is currently happening.

2 Likes

So, in an Japanese grammar site i came across these two sentences: 1-雄太ゆうたがビールを冷ひやした
2 -悠ゆうは窓まどを開あけた
My question is why does one them use the particle "が” and the other one uses the particle ”は”?

Unfortunately, you’ve asked a “short” question with a very long answer, if you mean “what’s the difference between は and が”

Also, when dealing with isolated sentences like this, it’s almost impossible to know if there was any particular reason for one or the other, since they are devoid of surrounding context.

Context is the main determinant of what meaning は or が has in a sentence.

Here’s a StackExchange answer that seems to be fairly extensive.

1 Like

I came across this sentence: 夜もむわっと暑いから、せっかくの週末に何度も外に出たくないし.

The only part I don’t understand is “もむわっと”. Is this some kind of really weird or rare idiomatic expression? From what I can tell, it’s a verb (もむ) combined with an onomatopoeic word (わっと), but I can’t make sense of it to be honest.

My translation of it would be: I don’t want to go out too often on my precious weekends since it’s so hot at _____ night. I can’t fill out the gap lol

1 Like

I had never seen むわっと before, but I think it’s clear from the context that it’s just modifying 暑い, and it sounds unpleasant.

Oh damn, thanks. It’s something like “suffocating heat” then I guess. I was reading that part all wrong lol

Where are you stuck, exactly? (I’m a bit late, so you may not be stuck anymore, though)

Based on the previous messages posted above, the mother is indeed requesting some assist from the father (as they had discussed before)

I have a small question, I just saw this お菓子な森. Both words are nouns, so why is お菓子 used like a な-adjective? Shouldn’t it be お菓子の森 in this case?

Googling it, looks like a One Piece episode title… so I’m guessing a pun? “Weird” (おかしな) and “sweets” (お菓子).

4 Likes

Yes, correct and ahh, that makes a lot of sense now. I only knew about the words 可笑しいいand お菓子 and none of them are な-adjectives so I was a little confused.

Sometimes there are na-adjective versions of i-adjectives. Like 大きな and 小さな.

1 Like

おかしな、小さな 大きな are actually unique among all of these as they are “incomplete” in that they can only be used in the attributive form. 大きだ, 大きで and the rest can’t be used.

Why?.

4 Likes