Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

I don’t really know, but this point

stands out to me, since the example sentence mentions speaking.

1 Like

Thanks for answering! So, does that really imply that に関して is really only used in literary stuff? :thinking: Kinda like “hey, we all use について but you might find に関して in old books and stuff, just so you know. The latter is more formal so yeah, go ahead and use について.” ? :joy:

Well, like I said, I don’t really know, because this is the first time I’ve read about に関して. :sweat_smile: So hopefully someone with more experience can weigh in here!

Also worth noting: the example sentences in the stack exchange question that you linked to are attributed to Tatoeba, which if I recall correctly, we’ve been warned to take with a grain of salt.

Edit: @jprspereira To further confuse things, I decided to do a Google search for に関して話, and I find a decent number of hits that seem to be written by native speakers. However, the 3 or so that I’ve investigated seem to be implying this nuance:

1 Like

Based on this presentation, I think the issue may come with the purpose/context behind the statement. に関して has a more broad meaning than について (as your edited link affirms), so if the statement were made with the intention of focusing specifically on Korea (say, the conversation was originally about Southeast Asia as a whole, and the speaker wanted to pinpoint the discussion to Korea), then に関して wouldn’t be wrong per say, but simply unnatural.

Up until now though, I just knew に関して to be a phrase for serious topics, while について was for relaxed ones.

1 Like

Ok, this is taking me somewhere. Appreciate you taking the time to answer back. I’ll write a small summary of this tomorrow almost 3am - my health is goneeeee and will get back at you guys to see if you agree?.. :thinking:

1 Like

彼女はアジア人に偏見があるがようだ。

What’s going on with the second が here?

@rhet Looks like a typo to me. Where did you find it/what is the context? Removing the が altogether works. Using の instead of が could work in some context I think.

Edit - Fixed my own typo of の instead of が… haha

Yeah typo seems probable. 彼女はアジア人に偏見があるようだ。makes sense, but no matter how much I searched I couldn’t find an example where they had が.

What’s a good verb for expressing rejection, in the context of someone being rejected from a university sports team because they failed during tryouts? I see a potential usage of 落とす is to reject an applicant, but I’m uncertain if that would work here.

So i found this on Tae Kim’s:
A: ごめん、明日は絶対だめだ。
B: 明日は、いったいどうしてだめなのよ?
A: Sorry, tomorrow is no good for certain.
B: Just why in the world is tomorrow no good?! (explicit demand for explanation)

the thing is, i didn’t quite get the ““いったい”” part on B sentence. What would be a more literal translation for “いったい”?. Can you use it in a different sentence?

いったい (一体) is like “the heck?”. Sort of a way to express disbelief/surprise/questioning in one exclamation.

何をしているの
is “what are you doing”

一体何をしているの
is like “what on earth are you doing?!” or “just what do you think you’re doing?!”

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to answer <3 It makes a lot of sense now!.

@tel003a @Vanilla It’s from Wanikani, it’s the context sentence for 偏見. I thought it was a typo too but I wanted to double check. I sent them an e-mail but haven’t gotten a response yet.

Everytime I think I know basic N5 grammar points, I stumble on sentences where they combine unexpectedly with each other and I’m sill confused…
Today’s issue :
そして、また、魚をとりに、川の中に入って行きました。
(It’s about a fisherman on a boat)
Can you confirm the analyse below ?

It’s a combination of :

1. verb-stemに iku => to go in order to do verb
  2. verb1-te-form verb2 => can be many thing : verb1 and verb2 / verb1 then verb2 / verb2 because verb1…

What’s new to me : Looks like it’s possible to have any kind of clause between verb-stemに and iku ? Here, 魚をとりに, …行きました ?

And about the -te form linking two verbs. I’m not sure how to guess the meaning between and/then/cause, just context ?

My quite literal translation :
And then, again, he entered the river to take fish.

It look like you’ve worked out a pretty good understanding here. Yes, 魚をとりに行きます uses a common structure.

Can someone help me with this grammar. Specifically I am trying to undestand what’s going on with ては.

寄せては返す波の音が聞こえる。

I understand that it means something like "I can hear the tide (waves) coming in and going out but I’d like to understand the grammar and see it applied in different situations.

Anybody?

It refers to a pair of repeated actions. So in this example you can think of 寄せては返す (a repeated ebb and flow) as a phrase modifying 波の音 which the speaker can hear.

Quick examples from stack exchange:

I think this is distinct from another similar usage of ~ては (sense 4 at Daijirin), which is defined as two actions etc which make a pair and are repeated, for example:

ころんでは起き、ころんでは起きて…
(I) alternate between falling down and getting up, falling down and getting up…

「Verb A in て/で-form + は + Verb B」

means:

“to do A and B repeatedly as in a pair”

So, your translation looks good.

By far the most common phrase using this structure would be 「食くっちゃ寝ね」, which is the colloquial pronunciation of 「食っては寝(て or る)」. That means “someone just eats and sleeps all day”.

3 Likes

I think I understand now. Thanks. That helps.
Basically a repeated pair of actions.

How’s this?
彼は眼鏡をかけては外す。

I wonder what JLPT level this would be.
This sentence was from a 漢字検定6級 question.

The grammar seems to be listed as N2 on some sites.

Even Kanken level 10 questions can reach N1 levels of vocab, because of how elementary vocab knowledge can be different from what non-natives learn.

I don’t have a specific example of that, but I just was doing a Kanken level 9 test for review and came across 心細い.

1 Like

Hey there,

I’m trying to read a manga (Higurashi) but one sentence is bugging me.
お父さんからもいってやってくださいな。
(something along the lines of “say that to your father too, please.”)
What does the からも and the conjugation いってやって mean in this context?