Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

And if you mean like “grassy,” it seems like 草深い or just using a verb phrase as a modifier like 草に覆われる (covered by grass, tweaked from the opening sentence of the wikipedia article for grassland) would be a way to go.
Also there’s a lot of compounds with 草 in the first spot meaning “grassy X” as well. Like 草原 or 草地, so a lot of the time an adjective or a verb isn’t even necessary.

This tofugu article might be useful for reading about how な adjectives work and what makes them sometimes noun-like, but you can’t turn every noun into a na-adjective, (or use every na-adjective directly as a noun - 静か for example) and 草 is one that isn’t a na-adjective.

And if you mean the slang version, there’s 草生える or just wwww :wink:

6 Likes

I suppose you could use の if you wanted it to modify something. 草の人

3 Likes

That’s actually an excellent point! These na-adjectives which can act as nouns are referred to as “adjectivals” to emphasize their adjective + noun nature, and the Japanese name 形容動詞 also embodies this :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

I don’t think this one works, but everything else you mentioned seems fine to me. :slight_smile: I’m pretty sure you only attach そう to masu-stems of verbs or adjective stems. (OK, and to dictionary forms of verbs, but that’s for hearsay.)

3 Likes

Just as another option for “grassy as in grass-ish”, 草っぽい seems okay grammar-wise and a search gives the example of an IPA with a “草っぽい香り” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

im studying the genki 1 workbook and there is one sentence I had to translate (I bought an inexpensive ticket). I created two senteces that were not similar to the answer sheet provided. My created sentences are: 私は高くなかった切符を買いました。 and 私は高かくない切符を買いました。 genki provided answer: 私は安い切符を買いました。I was wondering if either of my sentences could be a subsitute or if what I did was not correct?

Your first sentence uses the past form of “inexpensive” which is probably not needed and may sound a little odd.

Your second sentence is a direct translation and works :slight_smile: . But it has a typo. It’s 高くない, not 高かくない.

Genki’s sentence uses the word “cheap” instead of “inexpensive”. The overall meaning is the same, but it doesn’t fit as a direct translation.

2 Likes

@Bently I’m not completely certain about what I’m about to say (I need to reread the study that inspired this line of reasoning), but I believe that Japanese tenses express things from the point of view of the cognitive subject, which is to say the person considering the action/fact in question. At the time that the purchase occurred, the ticket was inexpensive. It was a relevant state at the time. Therefore, the present (or rather, ‘not yet complete/over’) tense is appropriate, because the ticket still had that characteristic at the time of purchase. Using the past/completed form of ‘not expensive’ or ‘cheap’ would suggest that the ticket was cheap at one point, but that was no longer the case at the time or purchase.

4 Likes

People already commented on this but a rough rule that you can use is that the last verb of the sentence is that determines the tense (past or present/future) so, in most cases, the rest of the sentence is going to be in the present. Of course there are exceptions, like, カメを食べたことがある人はしらない。 (I don’t know anyone who had the experience of eating a turtle.)

1 Like

Long time no ask! Was on a brief hiatus :sweat_smile:, but am now jumping back in where I’ve Ieft off.

まだ、小さいかったとき、女の子はよくあります。

Meaning of まだ here?

It’s got a few more possible translations from what I can tell:

Do any of these fit?

2 Likes

まだ 小さかった とき

The time when I was still small (young). As you can see, “still” fits pretty well. You’re probably confused about the comma, but it just indicates a small pause in speaking there.

(not sure about the rest of the sentence. 女の子はよくあります feels like a weird phrase)

5 Likes

Yeah… Where did the sentence come from? Was it copied correctly?

3 Likes

Hi,

Just now, while reading a VN, I encountered a bit unfamiliar grammar (or so I think) - it looks like ない used as a prefix. I’ve never seen such thing before. Full sentence:
俺たちみんなが、ない知恵を振り絞って、あそこまで育てた店。
What does that ない mean here? Should I read it as “non-existent knowledge”, as in “mustering all that little knowledge that we had” (??), or is there more to it?

1 Like

Your intuition is right. A verb in the negative can be used to modify a noun in that manner.

ない物 = a thing that doesn’t exist; as opposed to ある物 (there’s even an expression あることないこと = mixture of fact and fiction, half-truth)

いない人 = a person that doesn’t exist

食べられない虫 = an insect that can’t be eaten

5 Likes

Thank you. So after all it was “just” a verb modifying the noun in a standard way? :slight_smile: I knew about relative clauses and modifying nouns with verbs, but for some reason that particular ない tripped me up. Oh well, now I should remember it better :smiley:

1 Like

Well, ない is a bit special, since it acts like an いadjective, but it is technically the negative form of the verb ある, so you can use it the same way as other negative verbs.

3 Likes

It also seems to be a set phrase or expression. Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

I haven’t seen ない used as a prefix very often either, I wonder if it mainly shows up in expressions like this?

1 Like

Neither have I. I only ever saw ない/いない in longer phrases like:
誰もいない町 - a town with no people

Nice catch, @jneapan ! :slight_smile:

Hmm but ある日, for instance, is very much a thing.

That‘s a different ある, though… The kanji is also different: 或る日

6 Likes