Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Is を being used as a particle here? Is that why I can’t substitute お in the answer?

Because を and お are not the same thing? And yes, it is a particle there even though it’s a set expression.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks. I don’t hear any particular difference between the two and usually will write お instead if there’s a choice. Should I not be doing that?

yeah. Its a set expression that just happens to involve a particle. Think of it no differently than こんにちは (although some japanese people actually do type こんにちわ, but whatever)

2 Likes

Put it this way, the word “Jelly” could phonetically be spelled “Dzelly”, but does that sound right to you?

Yes を only exists as the particle in modern Japanese, but it can exist in some set phrases like this.

1 Like

And in the name of the wonderful singer れをる :3

3 Likes

Where’d you get that pretty font?

1 Like

It’s called hosofuwafont. I think it was on the front page of the link of the original post on Jitai.

Edit: Its here

Thank you!

What is the difference between 代わる and 代える? WK teaches both and gives the same meaning of “to replace/substitute” and I can’t find anything online that explains the difference

1 Like

Here’s a start:

代わる is intransitive and takes the particle が.
代える is transitive and takes the particle を.

Wow thank you!

In one of the example sentences on here it translates
部屋には犯罪の証跡はなかったが、警察は殺人事件ではないかと考えていた。
as
Although there was no evidence of crime in the room, the police was determined that it was a murder.

Why do they use “determined” in the translation? Its my understanding that ではないかと考える/思う is not that absolute of a situation. Personally I would translate it as they “suspected”; am I wrong, and if so, why?

I think it’s because Japanese is not super direct, and that sentences where the literal translation might include doubt are often translated more forcefully.

Like, そこまで考えなくていいと思う, might be translated as more forcefully give a certain tone. In the above case, the か implies doubt, but might be more forceful than you are thinking. This is why someone might translate it as determined over thought for example.

Hmm yeah, I just thought that since it involved police/a serious matter that they wouldn’t do the typical dance around it indirectness that japanese usually has. Can ではないかと思う・考える be used as an actual way to express uncertainty though rather than just a way to dance around certainty?

Most translations just translate to “suspect”, but that doesn’t really tell me the connotation of it.

Japanese is very built on context. Example sentences like this, consequently, can be interpreted many ways depending on where the sentence is being stated.

Right, which makes it all the more confusing. Looking at the context, it seems absolutely silly that police would determine something to be a murder even though there was no evidence of a crime. Suspect, sure…but determine? Lol.

I think the translation is just bad. Look at ungrammatical English used:

the police was determined

No, that’s correct. In this case, “determined” is an adjective, not a verb.
If it were a verb, then you’re right, the word “was” should not be there.

“Police” is a group of people though. They “were” not they “was.”

But then it’s still a wrong translation of the Japanese. It should be had determined.