Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

What counter should one use for empty, pint glasses? I was learning towards 本 but I think it is probably wrong… Thanks for any help.

~乾杯?jk, no idea. I’d just go with ~つ, though.

2 Likes

looks like 個 does the trick

3 Likes

I was watching this youtube video, and at 0:34, 形だけでも is said. What does that mean in this context?

形だけ is kind of like “perfunctory”. His self-intro has the “form” of a self-intro, but not much more. He says something like “Maybe I’m not going explain my good points or hobbies or whatever, but even if it’s just a perfunctory self-intro, I wanted to upload one.” Basically just lowering expectations I guess.

3 Likes

I seem to have forgotten my basics but a verb can’t appear before da/desu right? But why can we say something like 見ないです? Is it because ない is an adjective?

1 Like

Yes, strictly speaking what’s happening when you negate a verb is you are attaching an い adjective to the stem, and since です can be used to make い adjectives polite you can put です after a negated verb.

3 Likes

Hi guys. I’m currently using “Japanese the Manga Way” as my grammar guide and I’m about halfway through it. I find it really useful but I was wondering what I should learn next once I finish the whole textbook. Should I move onto something like Genki 2 or would I be at an intermediate grammar level? Also will I know enough grammar for the JLPT n4 or n3 once I complete that book?

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Frankly I’d highly recommend doing something like Genki 1 alongside Japanese the Manga Way, the book has no exercises, and even in its intro says that it isn’t really meant to be a sole resource.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is complex enough to be worthy of a new thread, but I didn’t get any answers when I tried googling it.
My question revolves around the use of おいしい in this problem.
The grammar resource I got this from said the format for this grammar point is [Noun A]だけではなく[Noun B]も…

I’m not sure if it was deliberate or a typo, but the resource specifically said “noun” instead of 名詞(めいし) like it has in all other lessons at this level… However おいしい is a い形容詞(けいようし) isn’t it? Why is it allowed to be in a noun’s place here? I tried to ask a Japanese person, but I didn’t understand her explanation. She said おいしい is a noun here, like おいしそう, which I could understand being a noun here, but she wasn’t able to give an explanation of why おいしい should be read as a noun here. She implied that you wouldn’t be able to put やすい in the same place, which makes sense to me, but she didn’t have a reason other than you can use おいしい like that, but not やすい.

Therefore, what is going on? Is there some category of い形容詞(けいようし) that can be treated as nouns? What determines whether they can or not? Or is there a specific list?

1 Like

おいしい is not a noun, that’s easy enough to answer. So it cannot be “noun A”. The structure, as you describe it, seems to be… a confusing way to describe the structure of that sentence at the very least. Without knowing more about the purpose of the example in the whole lesson it’s hard to say more than that.

As for flipping it, you would have to change some things around, but you could say 牛丼は (値段が) 安いだけでなく、味もおいしいです. And that would be fine, I would say. But since the thing that も attaches to is specific to やすい you have to change it if you put おいしい in やすい’s spot.

2 Likes

My bet is that like many learner resources they want to teach for some reason a limited version of the pattern, just nounだけでなく, even though verb/i-adjective/noun are all ok, but they forgot about it and put the adjective おいしい :grinning:

I remember distinctly being surprised when I saw for the first time i-adjective or verb in the XよりYほうが pattern, because it was taught in my textbook only with nouns…

1 Like

だけで(は)なく can have any of the following forms:

Verb-dictionary form + だけで(は)なく
Noun + だけで(は)なく
なadj + なだけで(は)なく
いadj + だけで(は)なく

From wordgrammar.net - This website is for sale! - wordgrammar Resources and Information.

It’s probably like @Arzar33 said that they want you to concentrate on the noun part even though the example just used a regular い-adj.

While asking natives to help with how something is said can be useful, they quite often can’t tell you why something is so for the same reason that your next door neighbor probably has no idea what a copula is. :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s the text it gave for the lesson. That was the only problem to use a 形容詞(けいようし). All of the examples and other problems gave 名詞(めいし) only.

Is it just that B must be a 名詞(めいし) then?

I’m growing increasing unimpressed with this resource. In previous chapters, it has given the various possible structures when the purpose/reasoning is the same, but later adds different ways/purposes of the forms. This is against the style they’ve gone with so far.

Thank you! This seems quite helpful.

Usually my English speaking coworkers can explain well enough. It’s just when they’re busy that I come here for the most part. This particular coworker’s explanations usually make sense.

1 Like

Normally you’d be right but I’ve already covered Minna No Nihongo 1 plus about half of 2 in uni classes including all the exercises. So Japanese the Manga Way is a great way to revise and I don’t think I need to re-do every single exercise! Thanks for the concern though :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you have any idea where Japanese the Manga Way gets me compared to Genki/Minna No Nihongo? So far I haven’t really come across any totally new grammar points except for maybe one chapter.

What does “知っていただかないといけない” in “ユーチューブ見てる方に改めて知っていただかないといけないと思って…” mean ?

〜ないといけない means “have to” - it’s like 〜なければいけない
いただく is the polite form of もらう

That makes that phrase roughly the same as 知ってもらわなければいけない - meaning something like “must get someone to know/realise/notice/be aware of”.

I don’t know the context of your full sentence but I’d say that it means something along the lines of “I think I have to get <someone> to rediscover (as in “know once again”) the way to watch YouTube” (though that て form at the end confuses me a bit, is it followed by another clause?)

1 Like

I agree with your breakdown of ていただかないといけない, but for the rest of the sentence, I think it’s 方(かた) here:
„What I want people who are watching YouTube to know/be aware of once again, is…“

5 Likes

I keep forgetting that meaning of 方. Makes sense!

I am trying to find a table of contents as I don’t have the book handy anymore, but I’m pretty certain it is going to be a similar amount of content, but more weighted on the side of Genki / Minna 1. How much it has of 2 I’m not entirely sure.