Short Grammar Questions

Thanks :slight_smile: I remembered that it was some conditional + よかった, but forgot which one - just was pretty sure that it won’t be たら :wink:

1 Like

I find 〜ばよかった more natural, but apparently 〜たらよかった is fine as well. The rule is that you can’t use 〜ば for actual past events i.e. it can’t be used to mean ‘when ~ happened in the past, (something else happened)’, whereas that’s fine for 〜たら.

4 Likes

Can という be removed in “コウイチの車の洗車をしたいという方がいたら、hello@tofugu.comまでメールしてください。” ?

Grammatically? Yes, because したい can modify a noun, which 方 is.
Would it or should it? Probably not, because したいという is less “assuming” or less direct, and Japanese tends to favor those kinds of constructions, especially if polite words like 方 are being used.

3 Likes

Thank you!

夕食後の談話で彼らは政治 について 話し合った。
In their discourse after dinner, they talked about politics.

村の人たちが自然環境に関して話した議論は白熱した。
The discussion the villagers had on the environment was quite lively.

I’m trying to figure out the grammar for “talked about/discussed,” or like what a book or movie is “about.” Do I just throw a に on the topic itself and place the unit in a position close to the verb?

Edit: Is it fine to use the metaphor of “talking” for books and movies in Japanese? For example, “This anime talks about the loneliness felt by today’s youth?”

2 Likes

If I’m reading it correctly the first sentence has について to indicate the topic of the conversation, and the second has に関して for the same purpose. Not sure what the difference between the two is, but your sentence (which has now disappeared but was something about an anime talking about the loneliness of today’s youth) would be something along the lines of

このアニメは今日の年少者の寂しさについて語る or このアニメは今日の年少者の寂しさに関して語る

Not sure at all if my sentence structure or choice of words there is natural. Also no idea if 語る is even the right verb to use there at all, I figured 話す was more about actual speaking than just conveying information though.

1 Like

Thank you! This is quite helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a good explanation of the difference between the two.

1 Like

Thank you for the in depth explanation link! :smiley:

In the sentence 「感謝祭とかクリスマスとかのように、色々な伝統的な行事があります」, why is ように used instead of ような? I thought ような would modify 行事.

Basically, because it’s ように that means it’s modifying the verb (and functioning as an adverb) and not the noun. You’re right that if it were meant to modify the noun it would use ような.

I wrote this long explanation but idk if it makes any sense

感謝祭とかクリスマスとかのような行事 would be “Events similar to Christmas or Thanksgiving”. Adding in the other descriptors would make it something like “There are many traditional events which are similar to Christmas and Thanksgiving.” But with ように, it means more along the lines of “Just as there is Christmas and Thanksgiving, there are also many other traditional events.”

So with the ような version, you’re only talking about events that are directly reminiscent of Christmas or Thanksgiving - so for example, Halloween may not count because it isn’t similar to those two in terms of what kind of holiday it is. But with ように, it’s using Christmas and Thanksgiving as examples of holidays to set the scope more broadly.

It is an adverbial phrase linked to 伝統的な.

色々な伝統的な行事があります。There are various traditional events. Traditional in what way? Traditional like Christmas and 感謝祭 and such.

Is “御” ever prefixed to “日本人” ?

Nope.

I don’t have a particular source, and I’m having trouble articulating exactly why, but attaching it to 日本人 just doesn’t sound right to me at all… and a check of google search result counts makes me fairly comfortable in giving a flat no to the question.

3 Likes

If you want a more polite word for “person from [country]” you can say [country]の方 (かた) instead of [country]人.

So, 日本の方
アメリカの方
etc.

12 Likes

I just got the verb 写す in my Wanikani lessons and one of the examples is
写す写真 (photos taken)
Up till now I’ve always heard/used 写真をとる for to take a photo…is this just more common or a less technical way of saying it?

To my understanding, 取る「とる」is a more general verb. You can also take holidays - 休みを取る. 写す and its intransitive equivalent 写る relate to taking an “image” of something. At least that’s how jisho.org explains it and I think it makes sense.

I think 撮とる is the more common word for taking photos (or at least it’s the only one I’ve personally encountered in the context of taking photos)

写うつす can also be used, but it’s also used in the general sense of copying things

I found this thread where a bunch of people argue about the difference in nuance, so it’s probably pretty subtle if it exists

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m having trouble with this clump of grammar. I can see the individual parts but they aren’t making sense to me. I tried looking it up as a single string of grammar but couldn’t find anything in my dictionary or online.

Context: a character is reflecting on painful things he went through in the past. He says things are better now, but…

でもそれって結局、辛い現実から目を背けてたってことに過ぎないのかも。

Thanks!

1 Like