Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m trying to get my head around 私の部署異動が決まった . In this sentence, the person/people who decided is not important and the focus is just on 私の部署異動 right?

There’s no indication that any person did any deciding. Maybe it was done by lottery.

The verb 決まる means that something that was unsettled becomes settled and clarified.

2 Likes

I have difficulty grasping the difference between だけ and しか, this translate roughly as the same thing in my mothertongue and the difference seems based on context.
Could you explain it to me or give me exemple in english that I may comprehend? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@Jonapedia As always was kind enough to answer my question about しか and だけ just a post above. Maybe you can try understanding his explanation?

1 Like

My bad for not ready the thread. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not sure what your native language is but, for comparison in English it’s similar to the difference between “only” (だけ) and “nothing but/except.” (しか) Same base meaning but different emphasis.

1 Like

I still get very confused over the differences between にとって and に対して。I’ve been told that に対して has a sense of dynamicism that にとって doesn’t and that the predicate for にとって is usually a state or a mere description of something, but I’m still not 100% certain.

1 Like

I always feel that any sentence containing しか~ない carries a higher sense of ‘insufficiency’ compared to だけ。

Imagine a scenario where you’re taking a taxi to catch your flight. At the end of your taxi ride you realise that you only have 1000 yen in cash on you, which is insufficient- and you need to hurry.

In this case saying something like 「1000円しか持っていない!」carries a higher sense of urgency and insufficiency than saying something like「1000円だけ持っている!」

Still very intermediate-ish at Grammar but I hope this explanation is okay

2 Likes

Thank you both, it does help.

Why does it say “this” in “this forged document”? I don’t see any this in the japanese sentence.

Is this 後 in this sentence pronounced あと or ご or something else? I would assume あと but I’m not sure.

It’s not literally there, sure. The translation could still be fine if there is a document that they’ve already been talking about.

When 後 is appended to a noun like that it’s ご. It could be あと if a person is speaking casually and omitting particles, but I wouldn’t make that assumption just from text. To attached あと to a noun, you need の.

3 Likes

I just did a quick check. The first definition of 偽札 is indeed ‘counterfeit bill’, but the second definition is ‘fake document’. So the translation is accurate. I had to open my monolingual dictionary to get that second definition though, so perhaps it’s a little less common? It definitely exists though.

1 Like

I think they meant "it doesn’t say この偽札 or anything, so why is the word “this” included.

1 Like

I specifically mentioned ‘this’, not concerned with gisatu, but thanks for your answer anyway.

1 Like

OH. Yes, good point. I misunderstood the question. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, I noticed after re-reading the question. I think I missed it because I was tired or something.

I guess another (much more literal) possibility would be to translate it as ‘How would saying that a forged document isn’t a forged document help everyone?’, but ultimately, asking that question requires some context, which means the speaker probably has a particular 技札 in mind anyway. So ‘this’ isn’t too much of a stretch.

I found 僕は危ない命を助かった、危ないところを助かった on Weblio and I’m wondering with を is used in this case?

In both of those cases the meaning is “to escape death or a dangerous situation.”

死や危険な状態から免れる。

What other particle do you think is an option? If you used に I think it might sound like you were saved “by” those things.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I kinda just defaulted to が because I saw it was an intransitive verb.

が would imply that the subject is the dangerous situation. That would work if the definition of 助かる was “for a dangerous situation to end without causing harm” or something like that.

I’m not actually sure that it can be said that all of the definitions of 助かる are intransitive. I’d have to dig deeper into it.

But being intransitive doesn’t mean a verb can’t use を. It happens typically when there is “movement through an area” with an intransitive verb. こうえんを歩く. Maybe there’s some metaphorical feeling of that here too. Not sure.

4 Likes