Short Grammar Questions

I have some confusion with the first part of this sentence, specifically what the bold is doing.

Context: This is an essay talking about why traveling with a package tour is dumb.
もっとゆっくり見たいなと思うような場所でも, 決められたスケジュールにしばられる

I thought it was 思うように but that な tells me it isn’t. If I treat it as two separate pieces
と思う//ような場所 then I think it would be something like

There are “I think I want to see it more slowly”-like places, however, it is bound by a preset schedule.

Can someone confirm or correct my understanding? Any assistance would be appreciated.

I think you can generally treat よう as a な adjective (though for some reason jisho doesn’t list it that way). When you see it as ように, that’s because it’s being used as an adverb, and to go from a な adjective to an adverb you change な to に. In this case, however, よう is directly modifying the noun 場所, so you’d want to keep it as an adjective.

Your translation is obviously very literal, but I think it captures the intended meaning.

よう is a noun, and if you look up 様 (よう) in a monolingual dictionary, you won’t find ように or ような examples in the definitions. But if you look up ようだ in the dictionary, you’ll find this stuff.

ようだ is listed as an auxiliary, and ような is the 連体形 (attributive form) of ようだ.

ように is the 連用形 (conjunctive form) of ようだ.

Here’s the entry for ようだ in weblio

https://www.weblio.jp/content/ようだ

Ah, that’s good to know. I need to do more reading on things like 連体形.

@seanblue @Leebo Thanks for the help! And for the mini English lesson, didn’t know what attributive, conjunctive, or auxiliary meant before this. I’ll be bookmarking and referring to this for months to come

“Let’s remember this well in advance.”
Is there a way to know it’s 「おぼえておこう 」and not something like 「おぼえよっておく」? I.e. why is ~ておく conjugated first, and not the volitional form? Or is it just a rule I have to learn by rote?

There is no て form of the volitional.

Yeah, it did sound pretty unnatural. Thanks.

It’s a pretty simple rule, so there’s no need to rote-learn it: when you’ve got a series of connected verbs, it’s always the last one that gets conjugated.

Well. That depends on what you mean. しなくて is a thing.

Granted that’s not really a conjugation, but neither is よう/う, so eehhh.

… Gets conjugated aside from the affirmative/negative ending. Let’s not muddy the waters by arguing semantics.

I’m not trying to…
たべられなかった = passive - negative - past. Which “conjugation” is the one that’s “last”?
I just don’t want to mislead people with off the cuff rules. The reality is, there are rules about the order of these things, but after any exposure they become incredibly intuitive which is why we’re having trouble thinking about the the way the question was asked.

That’s… there’s only one verb there. We’re specifically talking about chains of verbs, like 覚えておく or 食べてみる or whatever. The past tense, for example, is 食べてみた, never 食べたみる or whatever. That’s the point I’m attempting to make.

食べてみられなかった

食べさせてみよう。

Having a hard time seeing the difference between causative verbs and Verb[ て ] + もらう.

Causative = make someone do something (either by means of authority or just plain holding a gun to their head)

~てもらう = ask them to do something for your benefit (but hey, they can refuse)

Rather trying to reinvent the wheel by explaining the difference between 〜してもらう and 〜させてもらう (いただく can be substituted with もらう to be more polite), I searched for some explanations and found some pretty good ones that I hope will be helpful for you.

The first is from Stack Exchange. Please refer to the answer by “Silkamiika”. They simplify how to conceptualize this construct especially when someone isn’t asking for something.

The second example is from Reddit. Please refer to the first response by “itazurakko”. This compares the difference between 〜させてあげる, 〜させてもらう, and 〜してもらう.

I’ve been pondering this for a while and not found a solution…

How do you write “only once”? For example, “I’ll eat sushi only once this week”, or “I’ll go to Japan only once this year”. Is is something like 「今週すしを1回しか食べないんだ」 or 「今年は日本に行って1回だけ」… I really can’t figure out how I should be saying it…

“I’ll eat sushi only once this week”.
今週(は)すしを1回しか食べないんだ。

This translation seems completely correct, but, if I’m forced to say, I think you should instert a latter “は” between 今週 and すし.
2)
I’ll go to Japan only once this year”.

今年は1度しか日本に(へ)行かないんだ。

As regards second one, I’d give a sentence as above. It has a specific pattern, and you have to change the parts.
In my sentence, theletter に and へ both is natural, I think.

Thanks! I’m glad one of my attempts was on the right lines :slight_smile: