Short Grammar Questions

The first sentence uses 「とは」, which means its explaining to the listener the meaning of 「食べ合わせ」

The following sentence says that until a while ago 「少し前の時代なら」it was such common knowledge「常識」that even kids were sure to be able to name one or two [examples of 食べ合わせ].

Ahh thanks I understand it now

@TamanegiNoKame just in case you were curious as well, it has been figured out. Makes a lot more sense now that I look back at it.

I’m mildly a beginner in Japanese, just started grammar. So in this conversation
アリス) これ は 何?
ボブ) それ は 鉛筆。

Why does Bob not use the particle が? Isn’t he identifying what Alice asked about?

The thing that Alice asked about is the topic of the conversation, so using は is appropriate.

Presumably when Alice asks the question, both people can already see it, which also makes it acceptable to use は, even if no one has mentioned it in conversation yet. If something is visible to two people in a conversation, that’s basically the same as it having been brought up.

Ohhhh I see, thank you!

Context: This is a short piece on the author’s trip to a classic 和傘 shop, the author expresses and emphasizes that this is a dying art. Then a man comes in, and compliments the craft. Then the shop keeper says 「ああ、やめちゃだめだ」と、考え直したそうです

I find the choice of words here interesting, he’s just being humble, so why use the word “reconsider”?

You’re saying the shopkeeper used 考え直したそう to describe their own action of reconsideration? That doesn’t make sense to me. That そう grammar is used for hearsay.

I’m not really sure, but I think the author is describing.

Here’s the full sentence:

そんなある日、たまたま店の前を通りかかった外国のお客さんが「和傘は日本人の性格をとてもよくあらわしているね」と言ったのを聞いて、(1)「ああ、やめちゃだめだ」と、考え直したそうです。

Okay, that makes sense.

But you’re saying there’s no point where the shopkeeper had other thoughts (or “considerations to reconsider” as it were) in the piece?

Yes, that’s where the confusion lies. In case it provides more necessary context, the next and final sentence is

加藤さんは、「まだまだ元気だから、あと10年は大丈夫。」と笑顔を見せてくれましたが、わたしはとてもさびしい気持ちになりました。

To be fair, “to change your thoughts on something” is definition 2 of 考え直す, here.

Definition 1 is “to consider again” which doesn’t necessarily mean that you changed your position.

I guess Jisho threw me off since they stressed weblio’s definition 2

Capture

I hope this is a rare thing, though now I know to refer to Weblio in case this happens. Thanks for your assistance!

Hi, I have two small questions.
What does とでも mean in the sentence 神と同列とでも/deeming oneself to be on the same level as a god (From a manga)?
And それにしては, I understand it means smth like “By taking this into account”?
Thanks!

とでも is not a word by itself, but two particles in a sequence:
と+でも

It’s hard to give any detailed explanation without context, but it’s most likely on the lines of “even if one is at the same level of a god”

EDIT: Are the characters mentioning what someone else said about one being at the same level of a god? (The English translation you provided also indicates that by using “deeming”) If that is the case, と is most likely being used as a short version of と言う or と思う, so the full sentence would be 神と同列とでも言う

About それにしては, I would say it is a bit closer to “considering that”, but it is hard to get a clear-cut English translation. Japanese sources also say that whatever comes after it should contradict the expectations of the first sentence.

Example sentence:

台風が近づいているというが、それにしては静かだ
It’s pretty quiet, considering they say a Typhoon is coming.

Be aware that when used towards people it can have a bit of a condescending nuance.

27562_200w

is this

興味を持つ + くれる 話題 A topic that brings pre-held interest. The interest already exists, you’re just bringing it with this topic. So 鳴沢 likes soccer and you talk about soccer.

or

興味 + 持ってくれる 話題 This topic brings a new interest to the table. So talking about cool frog facts that 鳴沢 doesn’t know about.

Sorry to dig this long decomposed question out of the grave, just studying some of the other questions since this thread is an amazing grammar resource.

The first one. The topic would catch her interest/be something she finds interesting and want to talk about.

Its been awhile, but iirc he ended up bringing up the piano since she plays piano really well.

Ahh thank you very much

Oh thanks!

And yes the first sentence comes just after a big villain speech, so it would be logical to have と言う at the end, it just got cut in the dialogue.

Okay, so…

Correct me if I’ve got this wrong: