Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

Ohhhh I see, thank you!

Context: This is a short piece on the author’s trip to a classic 和傘 shop, the author expresses and emphasizes that this is a dying art. Then a man comes in, and compliments the craft. Then the shop keeper says 「ああ、やめちゃだめだ」と、考え直したそうです

I find the choice of words here interesting, he’s just being humble, so why use the word “reconsider”?

You’re saying the shopkeeper used 考え直したそう to describe their own action of reconsideration? That doesn’t make sense to me. That そう grammar is used for hearsay.

1 Like

I’m not really sure, but I think the author is describing.

Here’s the full sentence:

そんなある日、たまたま店の前を通りかかった外国のお客さんが「和傘は日本人の性格をとてもよくあらわしているね」と言ったのを聞いて、(1)「ああ、やめちゃだめだ」と、考え直したそうです。

Okay, that makes sense.

But you’re saying there’s no point where the shopkeeper had other thoughts (or “considerations to reconsider” as it were) in the piece?

Yes, that’s where the confusion lies. In case it provides more necessary context, the next and final sentence is

加藤さんは、「まだまだ元気だから、あと10年は大丈夫。」と笑顔を見せてくれましたが、わたしはとてもさびしい気持ちになりました。

To be fair, “to change your thoughts on something” is definition 2 of 考え直す, here.

Definition 1 is “to consider again” which doesn’t necessarily mean that you changed your position.

1 Like

I guess Jisho threw me off since they stressed weblio’s definition 2

Capture

I hope this is a rare thing, though now I know to refer to Weblio in case this happens. Thanks for your assistance!

Hi, I have two small questions.
What does とでも mean in the sentence 神と同列とでも/deeming oneself to be on the same level as a god (From a manga)?
And それにしては, I understand it means smth like “By taking this into account”?
Thanks!

とでも is not a word by itself, but two particles in a sequence:
と+でも

It’s hard to give any detailed explanation without context, but it’s most likely on the lines of “even if one is at the same level of a god”

EDIT: Are the characters mentioning what someone else said about one being at the same level of a god? (The English translation you provided also indicates that by using “deeming”) If that is the case, と is most likely being used as a short version of と言う or と思う, so the full sentence would be 神と同列とでも言う

About それにしては, I would say it is a bit closer to “considering that”, but it is hard to get a clear-cut English translation. Japanese sources also say that whatever comes after it should contradict the expectations of the first sentence.

Example sentence:

台風が近づいているというが、それにしては静かだ
It’s pretty quiet, considering they say a Typhoon is coming.

Be aware that when used towards people it can have a bit of a condescending nuance.

2 Likes

27562_200w

is this

興味を持つ + くれる 話題 A topic that brings pre-held interest. The interest already exists, you’re just bringing it with this topic. So 鳴沢 likes soccer and you talk about soccer.

or

興味 + 持ってくれる 話題 This topic brings a new interest to the table. So talking about cool frog facts that 鳴沢 doesn’t know about.

Sorry to dig this long decomposed question out of the grave, just studying some of the other questions since this thread is an amazing grammar resource.

1 Like

The first one. The topic would catch her interest/be something she finds interesting and want to talk about.

Its been awhile, but iirc he ended up bringing up the piano since she plays piano really well.

1 Like

Ahh thank you very much

Oh thanks!

And yes the first sentence comes just after a big villain speech, so it would be logical to have と言う at the end, it just got cut in the dialogue.

Okay, so…

Correct me if I’ve got this wrong:

1 Like

That is correct. から and まで just like from and until in English can be used in many different ways, just to mention. Just as long as you remain flexible in your thinking to accommodate more ways of using these terms. Consider, when you write method, I take that to mean “verb that expresses method of travel” however, you can also use で to indicate method along with more generic verbs:
私は家から駅までバスで行きます
The sentence above is based on your example but specifies バス (bus) as the mode of transportation.

2 Likes

Basically, yeah. I’d just add that まで usually means something like “until” or “up to,” so its implication is a little more like “I walk as far as the train station.” (Note that your example sentence was also in non-past tense as well.)

You could also say 「えきへ 歩きます」 (“I walk towards the train station”) or 「えきに 歩きます」 (“I walk, arriving at the destination of the train station”).

2 Likes

Sorry, but I would like to disagree on that.

In Japanese, verbs like 歩く、走る、飛ぶ and such are considered actions verbs, not really movement verbs such as 行く or 来る. That is why they use を and often behave on ways which are unexpected to European languages.

Saying 駅まで歩いた is fine because the まで conveys the meaning that you kept performing that action (walking) until the station. Saying に or へ on the other hand, no. Because to be used as movement direction postposition, they need a movement verb such 行く or 来る.

Searching for に歩 is hard because you get littered with all sorts of adverbs, such as 一緒に歩く and 共に歩く, but if you search for へ歩 on BCCWJ you will quickly notice that ALL results use an auxiliary movement verb together with 歩く, such as 歩いて行った or 歩いてくる

8 Likes

You actually can say えきまであるく (note use of まで)

But you cannot say えきにあるく, that needs to be えきにあるいていく

EDIT: I realize I basically repeated what you said Synchro, sorry.

5 Likes

Context: Nanoblock instruction sheet, think legos if unfamiliar.
Cautionary note not to screw up when assembling

この部品は上に向かって斜めに角度がついています。組み立ての際は部品向きに注意してください

This is how I’m interpreting this:
The top of this part has a slight slanting angle when set (in position). Pay attention to the part’s direction during assembly.

Does that seem right?
Edit: Fixed 向 kanji :persevere:

1 Like