Short Grammar Questions

Here, allow me to write a particle textbook in a forum post

Or, you can go here or here or here and buy this and this and then ask questions about specific things instead of a question about ALL the things :wink:

Quite. This is the Short Grammar Questions thread, not the Teach Me All The Grammar Questions thread.

Sorry about misunderstanding.

I guess I don’t understand the point of your question then. :sweat_smile:

Well lemme put it like this. While reading the sentence, it seems like it means one thing, but then when you get to the てやる, you realize it means another. This is strange and very rarely happens from what I remember, so I was wondering if I missed something that made it more obvious やつ was the subject/object of the causative expression and 真那 became the subject of the sentence.

But again, I could see the author making it intentionally seem like she’s saying shes the one who is into him since she actually is but its very tsun about it.

Yeah, I don’t think you were missing anything. Like you mentioned before, it could be a stylistic thing the author added to create the character’s personality. Considering that it is something the character says, it could be purposefully confusing because the character sounds like they don’t really understand themselves based on the revelation you made in an earlier post.

Yeah, it definitely seems likely. This is one of those things I wish I still talked to some natives for so I could ask just to be sure lol.

Well either way, thank you for your patience and input! I understand it wasn’t a particularly normal question to ask, but for some reason it just didn’t feel as clear cut as the rest of the stuff I had read.

I know you weren’t asking about keigo, but the proper way to modify a verb into an honorific form as a request would be お + ます form + ください.

Like 待つ > お待ちください

No て comes into it.

However, お助けください isn’t used very often, for whatever reason. There are other keigo words for help, like お力添え (おちからぞえ) or ご尽力 (ごじんりょく) depending on how formal it is.

In a business setting, you are likely to hear お力添え from a kouhai to a senpai.

But simply 助けてください (て form + ください) is fine for the forums.

好きな人と会話をするのなら、禁句にしたい言葉がある

Could someone confirm my translation?

“When speaking to a person you like, there are some words you want to avoid”. I’m assuming 禁句にする is a thing and it means “to forbid a word”. Thanks in advance

Chiming into confirm! Looks completely accurate. (“Some words you’ll want to avoid” strikes me as being a bit more natural in English, but that’s nitpicky voice stuff.)

And of course the implication of 好きな人 would be (without having further context), someone you like like–as in have a crush on–rather than just someone you want to be friends with.

thanks ian!

I don’t understand this example from my textbook.

There is a bank over there.
あそこに銀行があります

Where is the toilet?
トイレはどこですか

1. Why is あります used in the first sentence and です in the second one? It seems to me they refer to the same thing (i.e. the existence of an object in a certain place) so why don’t they both use あります?
  2. Why is に used in the first example instead of で?

に is always used with ある. いる as well. And 住む. It’s the location-of-existence marker for the state-of-being verbs.

I’m having one of those “why didn’t you be a good boy and learn a nice simple language like Spanish?” days.
crying-aby-with-hands-on-head

Can someone please tell me in poo poo baby terms what であろう means? And what であろうが means? From this sentence:

ヤギで通学するのは校則違反ではないであろうが!
Arriving by goat… doesn’t violate school policy!

But from my research, it seems that であろう is to express likelihood (I think likeでしょう, だろう), not sure how that applies in that sentence since he’s making an emphatic declaration. And that が in there may as well be in latin, no idea what it’s doing, i’m guessing it doesn’t really mean anything and it’s just for emphasis.

Massive thanks in advance.

であろう is in the dictionary, which makes things simpler. (Dunno for sure, but I’d be willing to say that’s the である version of the でしょう form.)

The が is が-as-but. It’s implying a follow-on sentence without going so far as to actually say it. Without knowing much of the context, I couldn’t really say what it is - perhaps “so I did it”. This is Nichijou, right?

My girlfriend says she feels the が implies an unsaid continuation. Such as やめてほしい “I wish you’d stop” or something.

I feel the same. Kinda like ‘okay, it might not be against the rules, but … [it should be/don’t do it/STAHP]’.

I’ve checked in “A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners” and the closest I found is 「であろうと」which means “either way.” :confused:

“Probably” seems to fit the context, though.

彼はパソコンを 買いたがって、週末も働いた。

Translation : Wanting to buy a PC, he even worked weekends
I’ve just seen this example on Bunpro and what I don’t understand is why it’s using the て form in 買いたがって.
Could someone please explain?
Thanks in advance

In this context て means “and” or “-ing” (applied to a verb or an i-adjective; otherwise it’s で). So it is basically used to combine two sentences.

To further explain what @NicoleRauch said, the verb here is 買いたがる. When speaking of people not there (aka third person, aka he/she/they), the ~たい becomes ~たがる and means something like “showing signs of wanting X”.

彼は = he (topic+subject)
パソコンを = pc (direct object)
買いたがって = wants to buy; 買いたがる in て form (meaning here ‘but’)
週末 = (on the) weekend (temporal noun)
も = also, even
働いた = worked; 働く in plain past.

IE: he wanted to buy a pc, but he even worked on the weekend (implied: so he couldn’t buy the pc)

ETA: it could also mean ‘so’ here like the translation you provided. "He wanted to buy a pc, so he’s even worked weekends (implied: he doesn’t usually work weekends).

Which meaning it is depends on context. ¯\(ツ)