Short Grammar Questions

Generally speaking, you can’t have two verbs back to back without some grammar modification.

But more specifically て + [apology word] is a standard form.

行かなくてすみません
しなくてごめん

https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-japanese-grammar-40/

Thanking people is similar.

来てくれてありがとう

I’ve started using Bunpro and I got the following example sentence:

あそこ のバスに乗る。

The translation given was:
To ride the bus over there .

I don’t quite understand what this is saying.
Due to the use of の I know that it’s indicating the bus that is over there, not riding the bus to over there, but I can’t determine what to ride is indicating.
Is it a complete sentence?
If so is it something akin to “The bus that is ride-able is over there”?

They gave the English in the infinitive as if the Japanese was one solid verb and not a sentence in the non-past. That’s what the “to” is. Just like when you answer verb vocab here on WK with to at the beginning.

You could assume the implied subject is “I” and translate it as “I’ll ride the bus that is over there” or “I ride the bus that is over there” if you wanted.

I like to think of 乗る as meaning “boarding” more than “riding”, personally.

The sentence means that the speaker (presumably “I”) is going to board the bus that’s some ways away.

As much as I understand why the non-past verb is being translated into the infinitive, sometimes I can’t help but wonder whether it wouldn’t be better to have the entire ‘[I/you/he/she/they] will X / is Xing / Xs’ thing instead.

That’s a hard one!

お得なクーポン冊子はいかがですか?

Would you like a booklet of bargain coupons?

So はいか, in this sentence means “okay?” Yes? As in “is that okay?”
Is はいか one word?
Is this construction similar to いいです in its mechanics (not just meaning) ? I’m trying to understand what grammatical bucket this thing falls into.

The word is いかが, the は is just the usual particle (so it’s pronounced わ). いかが is simply the polite form of the word どう.

:sweat_smile: Ohhh now I can find that in the grammar dictionary. Thanks!

Anyone have idea idea how to explain the grammar in the sentence あれは今、 カオルが言ったような意味あいがあったんだろうな。

Specifically the 言ったような意味あい is what im having trouble with.

Like I get the whole implication thing…but is the 言ったような trying to make it seem like the implication was so obvious that it was as if he just said it outright? I cant find 言ったような anywhere on the internet describing 意味合い, so I can’t be sure. Also I’m not fully sure why the あれ is there. Its referring to the placing of distance between MC and ちわ, right? To help with that part, here’s the full part of that conversation

From what I see the reason he uses 言ったような is because Kaoru didn’t directly said it, just implied. And considering that 意味合い has this tone of implication and nuance, it seems to fit just right.

Through saying 「それはもう、やったんだ」 Kaoru implies that the purpose of placing some distance was that. The narrator (鋭太?), on the other hand, was seemingly unaware of this reasoning so far. But since Kaoru is not directly saying “she did it because of that”, rather implying it, he phrases his sentence as 言ったような意味合い, literally “the reasoning she seems to have said (i.e. she implied)”, instead of a straight 言った意味合い, because that would mean Kaoru actually said it, while she didn’t, she just suggested it.

I get how you’re describing 言ったような and I agree with you. I was second guessing myself but your explanation puts it pretty well, so thank you. So now onto the あれ.

So 鋭太 says ah yeah we already put some distance between us. And FYI, yes チワワ did actually put distance between them partially in hopes of becoming closer romantically rather than as friends. So yeah that makes sense since I dont think 鋭太 knew about that reason (It was a few volumes that this happened so its hard to remember) but カオル is much less dense when it comes to that stuff.

I think I got it now, thanks for the help!

You mean, you want to use the particle も after 先生 somewhere, and you want the copula to be either だor です, rather than である?

With this example sentence
お寿司を食べている男の人は、私の兄です
is “お寿司を食べている男の人” the topic?
Why is 男の人 after the verb and would 男の人食べている be the same?
Just trying to understand how this てverb+いる works

Yes

This is a relative clause. So, the action describes the man.

“the eating man” or more naturally in English “the man who is eating.”

What you’ve written isn’t grammatical, because you need some kind of particle to link 男の人 and 食べている if they are in this order. が or は would work, but then you’d have a standalone sentence meaning “the man is eating” and not “the eating man.”

There’s no particular relationship to て+いる here though. At least with what you asked about. You could make a relative clause out of other verb formations as well.

Ah okay that makes sense now.
bunpro doesnt really explain some these things well lol
Thank you

6時をすぎると空暗くなり、お祭りのふんいきも盛り上がってきます。

What’s up with that first ?

“even the sky?” “as far as the sky?” “also the sky?”. I don’t understand.

Thanks in advance

You can use more than one も when using it as the inclusive particle meaning “also, too” when listing the things you’re talking about

So when it gets past 6 o’clock, the sky darkens and the festival’s atmosphere livens up (both things happen)

犬を見るとき、嬉しい
Toki means “when” here, right?
When i see a dog , im happy
Im happy when i see a dog.
Correct?

正解せいかい !