Short Grammar Questions (Part 1)

That’s a hard one!

お得なクーポン冊子はいかがですか?

Would you like a booklet of bargain coupons?

So はいか, in this sentence means “okay?” Yes? As in “is that okay?”
Is はいか one word?
Is this construction similar to いいです in its mechanics (not just meaning) ? I’m trying to understand what grammatical bucket this thing falls into.

The word is いかが, the は is just the usual particle (so it’s pronounced わ). いかが is simply the polite form of the word どう.

5 Likes

:sweat_smile: Ohhh now I can find that in the grammar dictionary. Thanks!

2 Likes

Anyone have idea idea how to explain the grammar in the sentence あれは今、 カオルが言ったような意味あいがあったんだろうな。

Specifically the 言ったような意味あい is what im having trouble with.

Like I get the whole implication thing…but is the 言ったような trying to make it seem like the implication was so obvious that it was as if he just said it outright? I cant find 言ったような anywhere on the internet describing 意味合い, so I can’t be sure. Also I’m not fully sure why the あれ is there. Its referring to the placing of distance between MC and ちわ, right? To help with that part, here’s the full part of that conversation

1 Like

From what I see the reason he uses 言ったような is because Kaoru didn’t directly said it, just implied. And considering that 意味合い has this tone of implication and nuance, it seems to fit just right.

Through saying 「それはもう、やったんだ」 Kaoru implies that the purpose of placing some distance was that. The narrator (鋭太?), on the other hand, was seemingly unaware of this reasoning so far. But since Kaoru is not directly saying “she did it because of that”, rather implying it, he phrases his sentence as 言ったような意味合い, literally “the reasoning she seems to have said (i.e. she implied)”, instead of a straight 言った意味合い, because that would mean Kaoru actually said it, while she didn’t, she just suggested it.

2 Likes

I get how you’re describing 言ったような and I agree with you. I was second guessing myself but your explanation puts it pretty well, so thank you. So now onto the あれ.

So 鋭太 says ah yeah we already put some distance between us. And FYI, yes チワワ did actually put distance between them partially in hopes of becoming closer romantically rather than as friends. So yeah that makes sense since I dont think 鋭太 knew about that reason (It was a few volumes that this happened so its hard to remember) but カオル is much less dense when it comes to that stuff.

I think I got it now, thanks for the help!

2 Likes

You mean, you want to use the particle も after 先生 somewhere, and you want the copula to be either だor です, rather than である?

2 Likes

With this example sentence
お寿司を食べている男の人は、私の兄です
is “お寿司を食べている男の人” the topic?
Why is 男の人 after the verb and would 男の人食べている be the same?
Just trying to understand how this てverb+いる works

2 Likes

Yes

This is a relative clause. So, the action describes the man.

“the eating man” or more naturally in English “the man who is eating.”

What you’ve written isn’t grammatical, because you need some kind of particle to link 男の人 and 食べている if they are in this order. が or は would work, but then you’d have a standalone sentence meaning “the man is eating” and not “the eating man.”

There’s no particular relationship to て+いる here though. At least with what you asked about. You could make a relative clause out of other verb formations as well.

3 Likes

Ah okay that makes sense now.
bunpro doesnt really explain some these things well lol
Thank you

1 Like

6時をすぎると空暗くなり、お祭りのふんいきも盛り上がってきます。

What’s up with that first ?

“even the sky?” “as far as the sky?” “also the sky?”. I don’t understand.

Thanks in advance

You can use more than one も when using it as the inclusive particle meaning “also, too” when listing the things you’re talking about

So when it gets past 6 o’clock, the sky darkens and the festival’s atmosphere livens up (both things happen)

2 Likes

犬を見るとき、嬉しい
Toki means “when” here, right?
When i see a dog , im happy
Im happy when i see a dog.
Correct?

2 Likes

正解せいかい !

7 Likes

りょうしは、二ひきの魚を対比してみました
The fisherman compared the two fish.

I can’t yet discern the verb’s construction in this sentence.

1. Is this <Verb-Te>+見(polite past)
    and that somehow implies “to see if something (verb) could be done”
  2. Or should I think of it as
    (I observed) The fisherman comparing the two fish.
  3. In light of the above I would have expected something like 対比ました

You pretty much figured it out, 〜てみる is a grammar point meaning to try to do something, it does come from the て-form + 見る, though 見る is typically written in hiragana – so the fisherman had tried comparing the two fish :fish:

2 Likes

Thanks! Also, your emphasis on the hiragana representation bears repeating, it helps me realize how a tendency to inappropriately expect (or scan for) kanji stems can make the resulting conjugations seem more complicated than they really are.

2 Likes

That’s the literal translation of the ~てみる structure as “try to” - “do (the verb) and see what happens”. The other “try to” grammar structure is ~ようとする, which means more like “make an attempt”

食べてみる = give this a taste and see if you like it
食べようとする = attempt to even see if it’s edible

Sort of thing.

7 Likes

No problem ^^ it’s a general tendency for verbs following a て-form to be written in hiragana, so if you see a hiragana mess after a te-form it could very well be another verb playing a role :upside_down_face: 〜ていく (行く) and 〜てくる (来る) are a couple other common ones

4 Likes